Football Manager 09 Review

I was watching youtube for some FM funny videos when I chanced upon this video.

Sorry if it has already been posted before.

Its a review of FM 09.

The video basically says it all what many people have been experiencing

I don't agree with some of them, but some are exactly what I feel!

Enjoy :)

I have learn to accept the stupid things that the players do on the field as technology is still not there yet.

However, what I hate about the game is the implementation of your ideas onto the tactic sliders

For example, my MC has been making 50 passes but not one of them are key passes that results in an attack for my team. I want him to make more key passes, but I don't know how.

Its easy to say, higher mentality, more creative freedom for him etc, but its difficult to know for sure that it will work and it is what you have in mind.

I'm four minutes in & this bloke is a clueless idiot, expecting finishing to be the only stat needed to make a good striker, I guess he's not come across anticipation & positioning along with the composure & first touch stats he mentioned.

His WTF is he doing tag when Prutton doesn't follow up the penalty rebound sums up his understanding of football & kills any credibility when offering a critique on a football management game, he can't touch the ball until another player has.

I have learn to accept the stupid things that the players do on the field as technology is still not there yet.

However, what I hate about the game is the implementation of your ideas onto the tactic sliders

For example, my MC has been making 50 passes but not one of them are key passes that results in an attack for my team. I want him to make more key passes, but I don't know how.

Its easy to say, higher mentality, more creative freedom for him etc, but its difficult to know for sure that it will work and it is what you have in mind.

There is a "try killer pass" preferred move, or something along those lines, in the player interaction screen. I managed to get a younger AMC to start learning it, but haven't seen it in effect yet to tell you how well it works.

Although i disagree with most of that video, i still think that it gives an interesting insight of the thoughts of some people who are relatively new to the game. In essence the more realistic the game becomes, the more divided people become on the level of enjoyment it gives them.

I also think it's unlikely the reviewer is going to give a balanced opinion on a management simulator when his idea of 'fun' is to blow off other people's limbs and heads.

I could nt agree with that Review more. I play this game for hours on end. I have no idea why. I hate it. It just aint fun any more! It is pain.

cut to the action as

-your striker misses another chance (1 on 1; sitter, open goal)

my players hit woodwork for 8th time of match (ooh this time it is underside of the bar)

watch as another freekick is blazed over the bar

another throw thrown straight to opposition

another ball kicked out for a corner (from the halfway line)

The worst position to be in FM 2009 is 2-0 up - suddenly you play Brazil 1970

Marvel at the other end as the oppositon score another wonder strike; or better "ooh he didnt mean that - as from a throw in just inside my half the goal is blazed in off the post"

8 minutes extra time really??

3 and 4 players carted off in a match? The replacement injured as well???

PS my largely unfancied Bromley are second in the Blue Square Premier but is like pulling teeth while wading through treacle

It was quite funny in parts but you can tell he isn't a proper football man. While I agree with some of his statements I disagreed with others.

There are loads and loads of error's with Football Manager, some more annoying than others but it's still the best football manager sim out there!!

Thought that was very funny, and I liked the comparison with GT4. Both that and FM have gone about withholding the single most important aspect of a computer "game"..... Fun

In fact, that very word (or the lack of that within FM) has inspired a popular thread here on the GQ.

"Quit Football, you're sh** at it!"

Brilliant. :D

I mentioned the penalty thing on the video and this was his reply:

"Alot of people have said that to me and I'd like to clarify this now, I am not aware of the rules reguarding penalty shots, however I watch football in england i've seen players hit the ball after taking a penalty before so naturally I assumed that there was no restriction on hitting the ball more than once, but even if this is the case and hes not aloud to hit the ball surely he could have blocked someone off from the ball or done something useful, instead of standing perfectly still."

I replied letting him know that that would be just plain cheating. ;)

I could nt agree with that Review more. I play this game for hours on end. I have no idea why. I hate it. It just aint fun any more! It is pain.

cut to the action as

-your striker misses another chance (1 on 1; sitter, open goal)

my players hit woodwork for 8th time of match (ooh this time it is underside of the bar)

watch as another freekick is blazed over the bar

another throw thrown straight to opposition

another ball kicked out for a corner (from the halfway line)

The worst position to be in FM 2009 is 2-0 up - suddenly you play Brazil 1970

Marvel at the other end as the oppositon score another wonder strike; or better "ooh he didnt mean that - as from a throw in just inside my half the goal is blazed in off the post"

8 minutes extra time really??

3 and 4 players carted off in a match? The replacement injured as well???

PS my largely unfancied Bromley are second in the Blue Square Premier but is like pulling teeth while wading through treacle

Wow. I almost felt like I wrote this one, so closely it mirrored my feelings.

On a brighter note, one of my players blazed two direct kicks in from 30+ yards in one game the other night. Amazing feeling. On a sad note, it was the only direct kicks I've scored in about 200 games.

Archived