Idea/request for additional info on player profiles regarding merchandising.

Basically had an idea for more info regarding merchandising. Sometimes we get a message saying that when we sign a player it will have an effect on merchandising sales.

So how about, in conjunction with the player personality, that players also have another description for marketing and then the figure/sum relating to the amount of money they have contributed to the club so far for that season. It doesn't have to be heavily involved but just give us an indication of how much they're pulling in for the club at any given time for the current season, this should give us a bit more clarity.

I've mocked up a screenshot below of how it could look.

Could also be a table similar to the richest clubs table that demonstrates the biggest merchandise earners globally.

marketing.jpg

I’d like some rough estimates given of money made form players, even if they won’t be definite amounts.

Would also be nice if it links to selling a player where you would receive a message from your commercial director saying that you’re likely to lose £xm in lost revenue if you sell the play which could leave you with a dilemma depending on the money on offer.

Do you keep your Chinese winger on the books and continue to reap the financial benefits (some of which will be pumped into your transfer fund hopefully), or do you sell him on and bring in that English guy you’re after, but will generate less income in the long run?

I’d probably just abuse the system though and make my team up of a money spinning XI.

seems good but i'd rather they fix the 1000000 bugs + develop long term play before adding new stuff which have the possibility of being even more buggy.

great idea tho mate. :) the numbers i'd rather be in the financial department personally.

I like this idea and I think those different levels of information would work well. Again though, even for your own players i'm not sure how realistic it is to have exact figures to the nearest pound. Maybe if it was more of an estimate and rated to the nearest £1k, £10k or even £100k depending on size of club, i feel that would be a bit more realistic.

Actually i've changed my mind

It's a GREAT idea

really is! I think it's something id use when looking to buy a player

would the scout be able to tell you whether a potential signing's reputation could create a massive profit from merchandising?

good idea btw

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I think if the figures were approximate it would be great.. Particularly for LLMs

As a LLaMa it wouldn't be of any value to me, my starting club don't have enough fans to fill a bus let alone offer any merchandising income. :D

As for the original idea I can see that it would be very useful for some FM'ers, not something that I'd give any attention too as I have never based my decision of player movements on how much income they generate. If they can play football they're in, if they couldn't identify a ball in a ball-pit they're out.

I'm along Barside's thinking here. I don't want the income they bring in, but I do like the popularity description.

The extra income is fine I think, and it would be fun to negotiate image rights % shares etc. but it should not become a dominating feature. Anything to add to the immersion is a great addition for me. It would give those of us who like statistics and get pleasure out of the profit/loss margins a little bit extra to play with!

As a LLaMa it wouldn't be of any value to me, my starting club don't have enough fans to fill a bus let alone offer any merchandising income. :D

As for the original idea I can see that it would be very useful for some FM'ers, not something that I'd give any attention too as I have never based my decision of player movements on how much income they generate. If they can play football they're in, if they couldn't identify a ball in a ball-pit they're out.

I'm along Barside's thinking here. I don't want the income they bring in, but I do like the popularity description.

I don't see why it can't be of help to LLM, if you sign a lower league star/has been they're likely to bring in more ticket sales (albeit very little) but every little counts in LLM, right?

It's like the A-League in it's current state, signing the like of Kewell, Emerton and in the past, Robbie Fowler in order for merchandising and ticket sales to go up.

I don't see why it can't be of help to LLM, if you sign a lower league star/has been they're likely to bring in more ticket sales (albeit very little) but every little counts in LLM, right?

That's where the popularity rating/description comes in. Both Barside and myself agreed that is a good thing.

• 5 months later...
Sure, it is now logged in our database with a link to this thread. Cheers :thup:

Does this database by chance get wiped every year, or did it just 'not warrant inclusion yet', or has the idea been rejected for the sake of security through obscurity, or?

In theory it is a good idea. But how could you calculate the contribution? For me in real life it would be impossible, or certainly very difficult. So in FM then it would be even harder. Merchandising is not just shirt sales. An example would be The Manchester United player Park Ji-Sung. It was believed he brought lots of money into the club through the 'Asian' market... But could we allocate £xm per season to him etc etc. We would be plucking figures from out of the sky. It is the extent to wish a player will contribute. And for me it would be very hard to calculate.

Archived