Gaining nationality

I want to ask about gaining nationality in Croatia and putting those players on U21 or A selection of Croatia.

The thing is that most of the young foreign players dont want to take Croatian nationality cause they see no benefit. That it on one hand very stupid that almost every player thinks of that but it's good on other hand (like in reality).

Since there is new rule about that, that those players need only 2 years to be in Croatian clubs so that they can get nationality, how is it going after that ?

I have Zucullini who already took Croatian nationality and he said that he did that cause he may not get chance to play for Argentina, but i cant put him on U21 (he has 20 years) or A selection.

He played only 18 youth caps so he didnt even played for U21 Argentina.

He doesnt have in his profile written "declered for Argentina" so i dont think that problem is in that.

Now i just dont know how is this working and what players need to have to play for diffrent countries ?

I hope that you know answer or know who might.

Argentina doesn't have an u21 team; their u20 team gives him the youth caps. IIRC FIFA rules now state that playing for one country, at u20/21 level, means you're stuck with them. Could be wrong.

im sure your right.but i do think its a stupid rule.

But Zucullini said that he took Croatian nationality because he dont think so that he will have chance to play for Argentina and that he wants to play for Croatia.

If he already played for u20 for Argentina, why did he said that...

On few last managers, i had players that played few matches even for u21 Brazil or any other country and i managed to put them on Croatia side.

I dont know what did SI change about that and i hope that someone of them will tell us...

Argentina doesn't have an u21 team; their u20 team gives him the youth caps. IIRC FIFA rules now state that playing for one country, at u20/21 level, means you're stuck with them. Could be wrong.

I taught that it was a age thing, like Ibrahim Affelay (the Dutch player of PSV) had to choose between Marroco and Holland before he turned 23. Maybe this is only for European countries.

Article 15

1) Any person holding the nationality of a country is eligible to play for the representative teams of the Association of that country. The Executive Committee shall decide on the conditions of eligibility for any Player who has not played international football in accordance with par. 2 below, and either aquires a new nationality or is eligible to play for the teams of more than one Association due to his nationality.

2) With the exception of the conditions specified in par. 3 and 4 below, any Player who has already represented one Association in a match (either in full or in part) in an official competition of any category or any type of football may not play an international match for a representative team of another Association.

3) If a Player has more than one nationality, or if a Player aquires a new nationality, or if a Player is eligible to play for several Associations' teams due to nationality, he may, up to his 21st birthday, request to change the Association for which he is eligible to play international matches to the Association of another country of which he holds nationality, subject to the following condiditions:

(a) He has not played a match (either in full or part) at "A" international level for his current Association, and if at the time of his first full or partial appearance in an international match in an official competition for his current Association, he already had the nationality of the Association's team for which he wishes to play.

(b) He is not permitted to play for his new Association in any competition in which he has already played for his previous Association. A Player may excercise this right only once.

4) If a Player who has been fielded by his Association in an international match in accordance with par. 2 above permanently loses the nationality of that country with his consent or against his will due to a decision by a government authority, he may request permission to play for another Association whose nationality he already has or has aquired.

5) Any Player who has the right to change Associations in accordance with par. 3 and 4 above shall submit a written, substantiated request to the FIFA General Secretariat. The Players' Status Committee shall decide on the request. The procedure will be in accordance with the Rules Governing the Procedures of the Players' Status Committee and the Dispute Resolution Chamber. Once the player has filed his request, he is not eligible to play for any Association team until his request have been processed.

That's straight out of the FIFA rule book. Should clear up any doubts anyone would have on the matter; to be declared to a nation formally, you have to represent the "A" side of the nation; representing U21/20 or youth sides will not declare you to that country.

Article 15

1) Any person holding the nationality of a country is eligible to play for the representative teams of the Association of that country. The Executive Committee shall decide on the conditions of eligibility for any Player who has not played international football in accordance with par. 2 below, and either aquires a new nationality or is eligible to play for the teams of more than one Association due to his nationality.

2) With the exception of the conditions specified in par. 3 and 4 below, any Player who has already represented one Association in a match (either in full or in part) in an official competition of any category or any type of football may not play an international match for a representative team of another Association.

3) If a Player has more than one nationality, or if a Player aquires a new nationality, or if a Player is eligible to play for several Associations' teams due to nationality, he may, up to his 21st birthday, request to change the Association for which he is eligible to play international matches to the Association of another country of which he holds nationality, subject to the following condiditions:

(a) He has not played a match (either in full or part) at "A" international level for his current Association, and if at the time of his first full or partial appearance in an international match in an official competition for his current Association, he already had the nationality of the Association's team for which he wishes to play.

(b) He is not permitted to play for his new Association in any competition in which he has already played for his previous Association. A Player may excercise this right only once.

4) If a Player who has been fielded by his Association in an international match in accordance with par. 2 above permanently loses the nationality of that country with his consent or against his will due to a decision by a government authority, he may request permission to play for another Association whose nationality he already has or has aquired.

5) Any Player who has the right to change Associations in accordance with par. 3 and 4 above shall submit a written, substantiated request to the FIFA General Secretariat. The Players' Status Committee shall decide on the request. The procedure will be in accordance with the Rules Governing the Procedures of the Players' Status Committee and the Dispute Resolution Chamber. Once the player has filed his request, he is not eligible to play for any Association team until his request have been processed.

That's straight out of the FIFA rule book. Should clear up any doubts anyone would have on the matter; to be declared to a nation formally, you have to represent the "A" side of the nation; representing U21/20 or youth sides will not declare you to that country.

According to those rules, my players then can play for Croatia cause they didnt played for "A" side of their country's, but still i cant get them in my team.

Maybe SI didnt make the rules like this...

According to those rules, my players then can play for Croatia cause they didnt played for "A" side of their country's, but still i cant get them in my team.

Maybe SI didnt make the rules like this...

Do they even wanna play for Croatia then? Many players with double nationality I've noticed have this "Feels that he at this point of time only would consider a call-up from _____".

Do they even wanna play for Croatia then? Many players with double nationality I've noticed have this "Feels that he at this point of time only would consider a call-up from _____".

Yes they want. At least few of them, it even said in their profile but i also notice on one guy in my squad that it says on his International happiness: "Might consider playing for Croatia once he has lived in country for 5 years."

Maybe they still need to be here for 5 years before i can put them in Croatia squad, even if they already have nationality after just two years.

• 2 weeks later...

If he didn't have Croatian nationality when he played for Argentina U20s, he isn't eligible. It's in those above rules, "if at the time of his first full or partial appearance in an international match in an official competition for his current Association, he already had the nationality of the Association's team for which he wishes to play."

I think there is also a residency agreement not pointed in the FIFA rules but recently amended.

The player has to stay in the country for a minimum of 5 years (regardless of how long it takes to gain nationality) to be eligible.

It happened in real life to a Singapore player recently. He was born in China but given Singapore nationality, but FIFA ruled him ineligible because he haven't stayed in Singapore for 5 years yet.

Yes they want. At least few of them, it even said in their profile but i also notice on one guy in my squad that it says on his International happiness: "Might consider playing for Croatia once he has lived in country for 5 years."

Maybe they still need to be here for 5 years before i can put them in Croatia squad, even if they already have nationality after just two years.

I'm managing in Russia and some of the foreign players also say that they might consider playing for Russia after 5 years. The trouble is that it takes 7 years to gain Russian citizenship :)

Archived