"Strangely pleased..."

Maybe he's just happy that Tottenham are out of the Carling Cup so the schedule isn't so demanding this season (and he appreciates the comp has little value to them)? I don't think 'chuffed to bits' is appropriate though

I was stuck with that twat also :(

like I do with all unwanted staff that the board wont let me fire, I offer them a new contract with slightly more money but fewer years and after a few contracts I can get them down to a one year contract and then do a Alan Sugar and fire there ass!

.....like I do with all unwanted staff that the board wont let me fire......

This one phrase is expresses why I wont buy FM 09 or any other new iteration. The game is just utterly inflexible and optionless. Its as if SI are saying you HAVE TO play the game exactly like we want you to. Its almost fascistic in its rigidity.

Why not allow the human player to choose whether they want seasonal options like turning off weather, neutral refereeing and chairmen sellling players?

Why not allow in game editing? Not necessarily for cheating but for spicing things up. Like making say Fulham a new Man City? Or changing kit colors? Many would never touch it but it would be great to have the option.

SI, inflexible products dont have a lot of long term success in the marketplace. Please let us, your customers, choose how we want to play each of our games.

This one phrase is expresses why I wont buy FM 09 or any other new iteration. The game is just utterly inflexible and optionless. Its as if SI are saying you HAVE TO play the game exactly like we want you to. Its almost fascistic in its rigidity.

Why not allow the human player to choose whether they want seasonal options like turning off weather, neutral refereeing and chairmen sellling players?

Why not allow in game editing? Not necessarily for cheating but for spicing things up. Like making say Fulham a new Man City? Or changing kit colors? Many would never touch it but it would be great to have the option.

SI, inflexible products dont have a lot of long term success in the marketplace. Please let us, your customers, choose how we want to play each of our games.

You have the chioice of playing the game as you like already. For me i would much rather SI spent their time concentrating on the game itself rather than creating in game editors. There are plenty of 3rd party editors out there!

You can play the way you want but there has to be a limit. You cannot have every little thing as option as that would be just impossible and there are ingame editors you can use to do some of the things you want.

West brom might only have had 2 shots on goal for the whole game.

Spurs might have totally dominated every other part of the match.

In that case, I'd be pleased with the performance too. Just upt it down to being unlucky on the day. One of those things.

For me, this is another example of how limited all media interation/team talks are.

You have the chioice of playing the game as you like already. For me i would much rather SI spent their time concentrating on the game itself rather than creating in game editors. There are plenty of 3rd party editors out there!
You can play the way you want but there has to be a limit. You cannot have every little thing as option as that would be just impossible and there are ingame editors you can use to do some of the things you want.

You two obviously have forgotten the original post in this thread. You cannot play the game as you want. There is this omnipotent 'board' that rules over all. It is utterly unrealistic that a manager would be forced to keep staff they didnt like in a majority of cases.

The editor is already there. It is pretty simple to allow it to be used after a game has started. There is really no good reason not to have it available. Also, because of silly and pointless marketing reasons, its a real pain to find 3rd party editors that work with the N American iteration of the game. Yet another example of unnecessary rigidity on the part of SI.

And, no jod, it wouldnt be impossible to have some small options. It would enhance the game for the people who used them.

In fact, with the randomness in the game engine, for a majority of the manageable teams in the game, there is little that is now completely under the control of the human player. But many things are forbidden. This is a game; not a real life exercise in frustration. And, if you like the game the way it is now, you wouldnt have to use any available options. Everyone gets to be happy.

Because it isn't an arcade game perhaps?

hmm......one of the longest running series of anything in the world won't have "long term success in the marketplace"

Because it isn't an arcade game perhaps?

hmm......one of the longest running series of anything in the world won't have "long term success in the marketplace"

Who said it was an arcade game? But it really isnt a realistic sim either. The game is pretty different in the various parts of the world. And its a game. Games that pigeonhole the human player tend to get boring fast. Ergo, much criticism on the boards.

I meant long term success from today into the future. The game was much more open ended in past iterations. They have clamped down on many small user choices over the last three versions. Especially in lower leagues. While the resultant product is challenging, is it that much fun? Why not have the current system as a hardcore option?

Im not really a hardcore player, more casual i'd say and im having fun with this game. Back to the OP, there are a number of reasons why the board over rule your decisions, you are unproven, financial difficulties, board interferance just to name a few!

The press conferences are known to be a bit dodgy but thats a seperate issue.

Also, your right, FM09 will have no "long term success" but thats because FM10 will be out later this year. As a series though, it has undoubtedly been a major success! Remember, it started out as 2 guys in their garage making the game! I for one have been playing the game for well over 10 years and it still has appeal to me, to the point my playstation 3 has been virtually untouched since November.

Im not really a hardcore player, more casual i'd say and im having fun with this game. Back to the OP, there are a number of reasons why the board over rule your decisions, you are unproven, financial difficulties, board interferance just to name a few!

The press conferences are known to be a bit dodgy but thats a seperate issue.

Also, your right, FM09 will have no "long term success" but thats because FM10 will be out later this year. As a series though, it has undoubtedly been a major success! Remember, it started out as 2 guys in their garage making the game! I for one have been playing the game for well over 10 years and it still has appeal to me, to the point my playstation 3 has been virtually untouched since November.

Im in agreement with you that I love the game. But I want some of the maneuverability og 06-07 with some of the newer features. To take your first example, I would make board interference optional so both people who like to wheel and deal can enjoy the game as much as people who like a more structured game. I dont want to take anything out of the game..just add more.

Wouldnt it be interesting if the game was more modable so issues like the press conferences and team talks could be improved by the FM community? Maybe some enterprising people could even create historical games.

You two obviously have forgotten the original post in this thread. You cannot play the game as you want. There is this omnipotent 'board' that rules over all. It is utterly unrealistic that a manager would be forced to keep staff they didnt like in a majority of cases.

The editor is already there. It is pretty simple to allow it to be used after a game has started. There is really no good reason not to have it available. Also, because of silly and pointless marketing reasons, its a real pain to find 3rd party editors that work with the N American iteration of the game. Yet another example of unnecessary rigidity on the part of SI.

And, no jod, it wouldnt be impossible to have some small options. It would enhance the game for the people who used them.

In fact, with the randomness in the game engine, for a majority of the manageable teams in the game, there is little that is now completely under the control of the human player. But many things are forbidden. This is a game; not a real life exercise in frustration. And, if you like the game the way it is now, you wouldnt have to use any available options. Everyone gets to be happy.

You don't have to keep staff. You can get rid of them in the editor if you are desperate. The board only block them when they cost too much to release and I see nothing wrong with that as if you did release you could put the club in financial trouble.

No it is not SI's rigidity that mean many 3rd party editors don't work as well on WWSM. It is people who program the editors generally only program them for FM and not WWSM. It is only due to the name change I think causes it. Also believe me it would not be simple to make the official editor be able to be used with a saved game that has started.

How many options do you want? The more options SI put in, the more complex the game becomes to program as they have to make sure it works no matter what combination of options is enabled. I guarantee you that it woud lead to more bugs, more complaints and rants on here just because of introducing things like disabling the weather. :rolleyes:

You just cannot have an option for everything.

Anyway, sorry darkest.hour2004. Your thread has gone off topic with me playing a part. :o

Archived