Injuries and injections

Heres my problem. Firstly with injuries in game, why cant I be told what type of injury it is? I mean if my players cut his head and been given some stiches then Ill leave him on as opposed to if he has a groin strain Ill take him off, all I get told is that he "has a knock"? Why cant I know more?

With the duration of injuries now, why is it when my player has a cold, sending them home takes 7-10 days to heal but leaving them with the physio takes 4-7 days? What can my physio do that he cant do himself? And why cant the physio do whatever he plans at the players house? Are my physios permanently stuck in the physio room? Or do they have some massive contraption that helps cure colds, but that cannot be removed from the physio's room?

Also giving players injections needs to be changed. It will not always make a problem worse. If a player has a bruised leg and is gonna be out for 2 weeks then fine. In real life a player will be given a painkilling injection until the bruise is healed. Why do I get the message to give an injection but they'll then be out for up to a month? Obviously with muscular problems/strains etc then an injection could easily cause further problems but it is not always the case.

There have also been times where my player had a knock so I took them off, but I never found out what the problem was. They werent injured after the game (thankfully) but surely a manager should know? One match I had 1 player fully injured and needing to be taken off and 7 players carrying minor injuries. After the game 2 players were injured and the rest were completely fine. I think knowing what the problem was after the game or even during the game is needed

Oh one more thing. I know that when you rush a player back from injury they are more likely to get injured again, but the injuries I get when this happens dont seem to relate to each other. If I have a player out with a twisted ankle, bring him back straight away and he gets injured again, but its nothing to do with the twisted ankle, its like a broken rib or a pulled muscle. I know this could be coincidence, but the players get injured more often when just coming back from an injury, and the injuries dont appear to be related in any way

There have also been times where my player had a knock so I took them off, but I never found out what the problem was. They werent injured after the game (thankfully) but surely a manager should know? One match I had 1 player fully injured and needing to be taken off and 7 players carrying minor injuries. After the game 2 players were injured and the rest were completely fine. I think knowing what the problem was after the game or even during the game is needed

When this happens, click on the player and have a look at his personal screen, sometimes here it is mentions something like: Has a potential leg injury (or something like this)

Heres my problem. Firstly with injuries in game, why cant I be told what type of injury it is? I mean if my players cut his head and been given some stiches then Ill leave him on as opposed to if he has a groin strain Ill take him off, all I get told is that he "has a knock"? Why cant I know more?

As what Micado mentioned, when you get a player picking up a green cross injury during a game, click on that player's name to view his player profile screen. The 'Injury' line under 'Selection Details' will indicate which area of the body he picked up a knock on, so you can then decide whether to risk letting him play on or just take him off immediately.

It is obscure though, I will give you that. I managed to stumble upon this feature in FM 2005 or 2006 I think. All I can say is, click on all you can ingame and just explore everything.

With the duration of injuries now, why is it when my player has a cold, sending them home takes 7-10 days to heal but leaving them with the physio takes 4-7 days? What can my physio do that he cant do himself? And why cant the physio do whatever he plans at the players house? Are my physios permanently stuck in the physio room? Or do they have some massive contraption that helps cure colds, but that cannot be removed from the physio's room?

Perhaps the increased length of 'injury' sustained when you send a player home takes into account the extra time he is not physically fit due to not training? If he were under physio supervision at the club, he might still be placed under some physical regimen to help him recover, whereas if he were to be sent home, there would be zero control over the player.

Albeit this point is really weak since if it were a cold, there most often is not much a physio or even a doctor would do but advise for medication and rest. I cannot imagine getting a footballer to report to a club for training or therapy when he gets a cold. You simply would not have him risk his health, rather than care more about infecting the rest of his team-mates.

If the standard practice in real life is to have the player report to the club even while having a cold however, then it would really be an eye-opener for myself.

Also giving players injections needs to be changed. It will not always make a problem worse. If a player has a bruised leg and is gonna be out for 2 weeks then fine. In real life a player will be given a painkilling injection until the bruise is healed. Why do I get the message to give an injection but they'll then be out for up to a month? Obviously with muscular problems/strains etc then an injection could easily cause further problems but it is not always the case.

Well injections might numb the pain or reduce inflammation, but they will not completely heal the injury on the spot. Therefore there is a risk of the player aggravating the same injury if he were to exert himself or be subjected to a nasty tackle? I would suspect if it is an aggravation of a slight or moderate injury, the repercussions will be more severe than what it originally might have been.

However I get the impression that cortisone injections are used very often in real-life and help to keep players from being out of action for too long. In fact, I do not think the injury module of the game is too reflective of real-life, where every match there are often quite a few players sustaining slight knocks that take them out for a period of time ranging from a couple of days to a couple of weeks. I feel we do not really get this ingame as most of the injuries take a player out for a minimum of two weeks, and more commonly one to two months.

Oh one more thing. I know that when you rush a player back from injury they are more likely to get injured again, but the injuries I get when this happens dont seem to relate to each other. If I have a player out with a twisted ankle, bring him back straight away and he gets injured again, but its nothing to do with the twisted ankle, its like a broken rib or a pulled muscle. I know this could be coincidence, but the players get injured more often when just coming back from an injury, and the injuries dont appear to be related in any way

I guess we could attempt to explain this by thinking along the lines of the player not being 100% physically fit when he has just returned from injury. His body might not be sufficiently conditioned enough for him to be exposed to the rigours of a competitive game and so he might be more susceptible to other injuries, not necessarily just a recurrence of his latest injury.

This seems plausible, but yet I do agree with you in that most often than not, players will suffer a recurrence of their latest injury if rushed back to fitness/games too soon. If they were to pick up an injury that were unrelated to their previous one, perhaps it is just a case of extremely bad luck and has nothing to do with him being rushed back.

I think in the case of the cold, it takes longer due to the duration taken to get home/back to camp, he might want his momma to take care of his cold.

Great points, especially the knowledge of the knocks during match to allow a proper decision to be made on whether the player should stay out there or not.

Great points, especially the knowledge of the knocks during match to allow a proper decision to be made on whether the player should stay out there or not.

See below.

When this happens, click on the player and have a look at his personal screen, sometimes here it is mentions something like: Has a potential leg injury (or something like this)
As what Micado mentioned, when you get a player picking up a green cross injury during a game, click on that player's name to view his player profile screen. The 'Injury' line under 'Selection Details' will indicate which area of the body he picked up a knock on, so you can then decide whether to risk letting him play on or just take him off immediately.

I always edit the injury file as its pretty poorly done. Lots of muscle injuries are listed as reoccurring when they really arent necessarily so. Then we have concussion, which definitely is reoccurring but not listed as such.

I would like to suggest a player rating for recovery. The ratings should be a bell curve where a few guys come back early, a few guys take a while to heal and the majority are out for a standard amount of time.

Totally agree with all these points. When a player's got a knock it'd be nice to know if it's the sort he can play on with reasonably safely (as you say, a cut to the head or something), or if it's one that's a strong tackle away from a 3 month injury (like a dodgy ankle or somesuch).

The cold (and "virus") thing I think dates back to old versions of FM where the choice was either rush him back at the risk of spreading the disease, or take the hit of him missing a couple of games.

I don't think it should still be hanging around in the new uber-realistic FM world - a colds a cold no matter where you are. In fact, in reality, you'd probably be iller for longer if the manager made you turn up and train in the rain instead of sitting at home with a mug of lemsip and a family size dairy milk...

Archived