Extra Time and Penalties in FA Cup?

A loop hole has been found in the FA Cup rules that states that if it is a draw at the end of the game, if both managers agree then they can play Extra Time and Penalties instead of having a reply.

Link: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,13864_4841020,00.html

Should this option be included in FM?

Its an intresting notion but I've never heard of it being used irl, having said that i dont really follow lower leauge football which is what its supposedely aimed at. It could be a nice addition to the game but could easily be over used in situations where it wouldnt happen IRL. Its a rule thats been around for a while and has never come up before so you never know it could be in the game we just havent found it yet?

The FA will close the loophole ASAP.

I don't remember ever hearing of it being used either, mainly because both clubs tend to benefit more from the revenue of the replay than they do from getting the tie over and done with. I doubt it'll ever make it into FM.

The FA will close the loophole ASAP.

I don't remember ever hearing of it being used either, mainly because both clubs tend to benefit more from the revenue of the replay than they do from getting the tie over and done with. I doubt it'll ever make it into FM.

Surely some teams would benefit from getting it out of the way on the night. E.g. If Man Utd played Chelsea and both already have many fixtures from the Premier League and Champions League then they may agree to play it out due to them not wanting an extra game to play?

Surely some teams would benefit from getting it out of the way on the night. E.g. If Man Utd played Chelsea and both already have many fixtures from the Premier League and Champions League then they may agree to play it out due to them not wanting an extra game to play?

I see your point but if you were manager would you rather face the lottery of penalties or take your chance in a replay at your own ground?

I also think that the losing side would face a backlash from fans, who would tend to take the view that a competition had been thrown away without making an appropriate effort.

IMO the fact that this rule has hardly ever, if ever at all, been used speaks volumes for its validity and worthiness.

This such instance would probably be the only time it happens.

I see your point but if you were manager would you rather face the lottery of penalties or take your chance in a replay at your own ground?

I also think that the losing side would face a backlash from fans, who would tend to take the view that a competition had been thrown away without making an appropriate effort.

IMO the fact that this rule has hardly ever, if ever at all, been used speaks volumes for its validity and worthiness.

Good point. I can't really say if teams would use it or not.

Both teams would be unlikely to agree to it. Well, it's been around forever and nobody has bothered with it, so I think it shouldn't be included. The last thing we want is for every second cup tie in the game using this rule becuse of dodgy AI and everyone complaining about how unrealistic it is. Best to leave well alone.

Fergie said he would not agree to it as he has to much respect for the FA cup. That'll be why he pulled Man U out of it a few years back then!!

That's the F.A.'s fault for not letting them compete in both cups. If it's a choice between the inaugural World Club Cup and the yearly F.A. Cup for one season, it's going to be the world cup every time.

Where on earth did you get that from Basketcase? Fergie never said anything like that at all.

ITV interview.

Archived