Ferguson Rangers

When he was a player he was unceremoniously hounded out of Ibrox, for non football reasons. That's the only reason that I can think of.

Whilst Alex Ferguson was manager of Aberdeen he was interviewed for the Rangers managers job, he eventually turned it down, because they didn't share his lofty ambitions, but he was willing to be manager of Rangers, so why he has Rangers listed as a person rival I haven't a clue.

Fergie's a local lad, who (wouldn't swear to this) supported them as a kid, went there as a player, didn't do too badly, but got seriously mistreated. Bitterness lasts.

Aye, ok, Sir.Furious can hold a grudge, and may hold on over Rangers. However, Rangers have changed now, and Fergie is still a fan. To put him down as Rival is over the top IMO.

Aye, ok, Sir.Furious can hold a grudge, and may hold on over Rangers. However, Rangers have changed now, and Fergie is still a fan. To put him down as Rival is over the top IMO.

Well I've no idea really. There might also have been bad blood in the Aberdeen era. I don't really follow Scottish football.

From what I remember he was on the receiving end of some of the sectarian rubbish from the rangers old guard over the fact his wife was a catholic, was rather harshly kicked out after being blamed for a cup defeat then he didn't endear himself by breaking the auld firm stranglehold.

But as you say he was a boyhood Rangers fan and they're not anywhere near as bad as they used on the sectarian front so it might be a bit OTT to have them as hated by him.

Then again he's not exactly known for his forgiving nature.

Its definately in the past though....

Just recently he has said that IF Rangers are forced to sell one of their first team players (to ballance the books) then he will offer a player on loan to help out.

Nothing bitter about that.

Plus last year he congratulated the team and the management on getting to the Uefa cup final.

While there may have been bad blood (wrongly might i add) its definately long gone.

Sir Awex got blamed for a Cup Final defeat. he was supposed to pick up Billy Mcneil at a corner but he failed to do so and Celtic scored from it in the first minute. There then followed a bust up with Scott Symon in the dressing room at half time. what was said has never been revealed but the upshot was Ferguson's days at Rangers were numbered.

The signing of Colin stein put an end to his Rangers career. Stein was a better player. Plain and simple. Ferguson was a decent all round centre forward but nothing special.

The religious undertones revealed in Fergusons autobiography left a bad taste in a lot of rangers supporters mouths. Ferguson was already courting his now wife Cathy (who was a catholic) when he signed for Rangers.He claimed that the powers that be drummed him out of Ibrox for marrying a catholic. This may or may not be true but unfortunately, he waited until the men involved were dead and unable to answer the accusations before making them. These were Rangers legends, men responsible for bringing huge amounts of sucess to the club.

Dunno about Rangers as a club being under a favourite, but maybe the staff there...? Walter was his assistant at MU for a while, after all...

Walter Smith is already under his favourites but it should be Rangers cause then he'd be more likely to loan us players when we control Rangers like he recently said in real life according to someone in this thread.

FM Bear is right about what he said about his wife.... has never forgotten it ....even his sons are celtic supporters

I can quite readily say that hes not though.

Take Gordon Ramsay as another example of a badly treated ex player.

He got a bad injury and Rangers back in the day let him go rather than pay for his treatment.

But he still loves the club, and came up and cooked for the 1st team when they were training at Murray park as part of one of his shows (its on youtube).

FM Bear is right about what he said about his wife.... has never forgotten it ....even his sons are celtic supporters

Two points here, I'm in my late 30's so not old enough to remember Ferguson playing for the Gers BUT my dad, and his mates were under the same impression as above. Basically he was replaced by a MUCH better player in Colin Stein.

It was only many,many years later, when like many footballers writing an autobiography he needed something to spice it up, that the story about his wife being a catholic etc. started.

He has never been that popular with Rangers fans of my generation either, mainly because of the domination of his Aberdeen side in the early 80's, pre-Souness, and turning down the Rangers job when offered it.

As for his sons, I assume Darren the Peterboro manager, is one of them you refer to being Celtic fans. Never heard that anywhere before, wouldn't they more likely support Aberdeen? If any Scottish club at all, they have been in England for last 20 years and did most of their growing up down there.

Two points here, I'm in my late 30's so not old enough to remember Ferguson playing for the Gers BUT my dad, and his mates were under the same impression as above. Basically he was replaced by a MUCH better player in Colin Stein.

It was only many,many years later, when like many footballers writing an autobiography he needed something to spice it up, that the story about his wife being a catholic etc. started.

He has never been that popular with Rangers fans of my generation either, mainly because of the domination of his Aberdeen side in the early 80's, pre-Souness, and turning down the Rangers job when offered it.

As for his sons, I assume Darren the Peterboro manager, is one of them you refer to being Celtic fans. Never heard that anywhere before, wouldn't they more likely support Aberdeen? If any Scottish club at all, they have been in England for last 20 years and did most of their growing up down there.

First off, Sir Alex's sons are in fact Celtic fans, they get it from Fergie's father's side, Ferguson was the Blue sheep of a Green family growing up in Govan.

Whilst you're right about Colin Stein replacing Sir Alex being part of the reason that he left the club, however, the Sectarian issue regarding his wife's Catholicism was also a factor, though mainly with the fans. The fans' reaction may or may not have influenced the club's decision, parallel to Fergie's being deemed surplus to requirements. Both my dad and my grandfather have told me alot about the whole bust up, (being equally Manchester United and Rangers supporters, it's of particular interest) and it definately circulated at the time.. It was not some story 'cooked up' later to "spice" up his autobiography, and that is a bit of a dopey comment.

I was also slightly sceptical of having Rangers as a rival, I never felt that there was that much animosity to be worth adding into the game, and if Ter is right, and it will diminish over time then I don't understand it being there at the start of the game.

First off, Sir Alex's sons are in fact Celtic fans, they get it from Fergie's father's side, Ferguson was the Blue sheep of a Green family growing up in Govan.

Whilst you're right about Colin Stein replacing Sir Alex being part of the reason that he left the club, however, the Sectarian issue regarding his wife's Catholicism was also a factor, though mainly with the fans. The fans' reaction may or may not have influenced the club's decision, parallel to Fergie's being deemed surplus to requirements. Both my dad and my grandfather have told me alot about the whole bust up, (being equally Manchester United and Rangers supporters, it's of particular interest) and it definately circulated at the time.. It was not some story 'cooked up' later to "spice" up his autobiography, and that is a bit of a dopey comment.

I was also slightly sceptical of having Rangers as a rival, I never felt that there was that much animosity to be worth adding into the game, and if Ter is right, and it will diminish over time then I don't understand it being there at the start of the game.

I'm not getting into 'my dad is better than your dad' debate with you, we will just have to agree to disagree on this as obviously neither of us is old enough to know first hand. Mine's say is was because Stein was a much better player and he never heard anything about his wife's religion, yours tells you otherwise.

I still don't understand your dopey comment remark though.

I don't think it's an unreasonable thing to say that any autobiography, not just footballers, relies on a bit of spice come release time to help it sell, and even though I wasn't born until the 70's I remember Fergie at Aberdeen and never once heard any mention of his wife's religion and it being the reason he left Rangers.

Either way I don't think Fergie should have Rangers listed under anything other than 'favoured clubs', it's the club he grew up supporting, blue sheep I think u called him, and I'm sure when the next Old Firm game comes around he would much rather see a victory for the blue half of Glasgow!!!!!!

Just ask the BBC!

LOL!!!!

Good point mate, although the BBC certainly can't ask him about it though.

Why is he refusing to speak to them again?

Was it something to do with one of his sons, not Darren ,being a bit dodgy?

Although none of this has anything to do with the OP i.e. his in game relationship with Rangers.

He got the hump with the BBC in 2004 when they showed a documentary about his son Jason which alleged that he was involved in dodgy transfer deals.

So did he take the hump because the allegations weren't true OR because he was annoyed that BBC had broadcast something he didn't really want widely known?

In my opinion Sir Alex Ferguson should be on the disliked staff of either old firm teams as he relentlessly clobbered them and made them look ordinary when he managed Aberdeen. ;)

PS. Does anyone have the coverage of his furious post-match reaction on the Hampden pitch after his Aberdeen team BEAT Rangers in the Scottish cup? If so, I'd love to see it. One of the classic moments in Scottish football. :D

(I think it was the Scottish cup)

Does anyone have the coverage of his furious pre-match reaction on the Hampden pitch after his Aberdeen team BEAT Rangers in the Scottish cup? If so, I'd love to see it. One of the classic moments in Scottish football. :D

Doesn't make sense!!!!!

A PRE-MATCH rant AFTER beating someone?????

Sure you don't mean POST-MATCH rant BEFORE beating?

It could be a pre-match before beating

OR

Post-match after beating.

What year/match are you referring to?

Doesn't make sense!!!!!

A PRE-MATCH rant AFTER beating someone?????

Sure you don't mean POST-MATCH rant BEFORE beating?

It could be a pre-match before beating

OR

Post-match after beating.

What year/match are you referring to?

I thought it was pretty self evident what I meant, mate. lol :)

Year? I haven't a clue, I'm too young to remember.

Talking of the old firm, why are they rivals? It's only the fans who are rivals, the clubs have a forged bond that have been in place for decades.

Talking of the old firm, why are they rivals? It's only the fans who are rivals, the clubs have a forged bond that have been in place for decades.

Never heard the relationship between Rangers & Celtic described as a 'forged bond' before!!

It's one of the listed rivalries in FM that there is never really any debate over.

There have been quite a few posts from Rangers fans though questioning why Aberdeen are classed alongside Celtic as 'Fierce Rivals'.

That's like questioning why Everton and Liverpool, Man Utd and Man City, Tottenham and Arsenal, AC Milan and Inter Milan, Atletico Madrid and Real Madrid are all rivals - They're from the same place, and want to be known as the 'dominant' team within that city.

Besides, in case you haven't noticed, Rangers and Celtic have been the two most dominant teams in Scottish history.

They want to be the team who are known as the best team in Scotland.

The teams have a respect for each other, but in no way have they ever seen eye-to-eye.

Never heard the relationship between Rangers & Celtic described as a 'forged bond' before!!

It's one of the listed rivalries in FM that there is never really any debate over.

There have been quite a few posts from Rangers fans though questioning why Aberdeen are classed alongside Celtic as 'Fierce Rivals'.

You haven't? It's long been known that that the term "Old Firm" derives from the commercial benefits of the two clubs' rivalry, which were viewed with distaste in some quarters in the early days of the game. I thought everyone knew this.

Why on earth do you think Celtic and Rangers were labelled the "Old Firm" ? They are "firm" friends.

That's like questioning why Everton and Liverpool, Man Utd and Man City, Tottenham and Arsenal, AC Milan and Inter Milan, Atletico Madrid and Real Madrid are all rivals - They're from the same place, and want to be known as the 'dominant' team within that city.

Besides, in case you haven't noticed, Rangers and Celtic have been the two most dominant teams in Scottish history.

They want to be the team who are known as the best team in Scotland.

The teams have a respect for each other, but in no way have they ever seen eye-to-eye.

It's not the same. Re: See my reply above.

In no way have they ever seen eye-to-eye? You're kidding, right? They both sign the exact same shirt sponsors pretty much on the same day. They both band together to put the kibosh on the previous Sky deal. Their own independant sport channel airs on practically the same day. I could go on all day, mate. lol

A long time ago they banded together with one agenda; to strangle Scottish football, which has now backfired because their anti competitive practices have made their clubs stagnant. Wannabe-premiership clubs, anyone. ;)

Why on earth do you think Celtic and Rangers were labelled the "Old Firm" ? They are "firm" friends

I suggest you pick up a history book son, at the very least read Fergies auto-biography to gain at least a basic understanding of the deep rooted hatred these clubs have for one another (at least in the old days anyway) It is a rivalry built open religious differences and will probably never go away

Is this guy serious?:eek:

This guy is very serious. ;)

Flower of Manchester: I suggest you look up the definition "mass manipulation" - The Old Firm fans have bought into the "We hate them - so buy more of our merchandise" message for generations, but you're right, it'll never stop because the fans are... dim. For the lack of a better word.

Trust me, I know a lot more than you. I don't need to read up on Fergie's autobiography. I'm well schooled in the art of psychology so I can spot the signs of manipulation a mile off.

I bet no one believes me, which just goes to prove how well it worked/works. lol

But whatever, believe what you like, guys. :)

Flower of Manchester: I suggest you look up the definition "mass manipulation" - The Old Firm fans have bought into the "We hate them - so buy more of our merchandise" message for generations, but you're right, it'll never stop because the fans are... dim. For the lack of a better word.

Trust me, I know a lot more than you. I don't need to read up on Fergie's autobiography. I'm well schooled in the art of psychology so I can spot the signs of manipulation a mile off.

I bet no one believes me, which just goes to prove how well it worked/works. lol

Nothing like blowing your own trumpet and patronising other people!!!

Are you allowed to generalise in that matter, i.e. ALL Old firm fans are 'dim'?

What uni did you get your psych degree from then?

Was it one of those 'Uni's' that was a college when I was your age???

See, I can be patronising too!!!

Doesn't mean I know any more or less than you though.

Right... because you Diddy team fans are all rocket scientists.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also notice that not a single person agress with you in relation to Rangers and Celtic "being friends"...

Archived