Back up goalkeepers

DAK

any1 else seem to change back up keepers every year. my'n always get unhappy even if i play them in the cups. end up getting a new keeper every year on bosman and sell him on a year later. just a little thought woundering if every1 was the same

Yeah I tend to get rid of my backup keeper after a season or 2 cuz they just don't like not playing, and as I very rarely need them, rather than spend lotsa cash and get his hopes up, I tend to pick up a half decent cheap or free player, much the same as you seem to do

I've always suffered this problem but this season have 2 young keepers of roughly equal ability. Its a difficult decsion as to which one to play so I have on for the League and one for All Cup competions. Its brought me quite alot of sucess and I'll cary one like this unless I sell one of them.

Its one of them things, you can't not have a backup keeper incase your 1st team choice gets injured but in 3 1/2 seasons i've not once used any of my backups. I dont even have one on my subs bench but you just know that as soon as I sell all but my 1st choice keeper, he's gonna get a long term injury lol.

I never have back-up 'keepers in my first team. If I do run into an injury crisis or for whatever reason my starting 'keeper is not eligible to play, I turn to one of my goalkeepers from the youth team. Given that they are worse than an actual back-up 'keeper, I see no point in wasting wages on an unneeded player. This of course is coming from somebody who is managing in the lower leagues.

It irritates me, actually. In this version of FM, top clubs go out and actively look for backup keepers (they never used to). So I thought I could do the same, bought an experienced but not-great keeper as backup so that my better, young keeper could go out on loan and get matches to improve. I told him expressly that he was a Backup on a two-year contract. Six months in, he was unhappy at not being first-choice. He would NEVER have a hope in hell of being first-choice over German Lux, and should know that given that he was happy to sign on as Backup! What's more, this always happens - it's not an isolated incident. Keepers in the game are never content as backup, but should be. Does Cudicini EVER remain happy in the game? - no, but he's been fine as Chelsea backup for years now.

Yes, it's really annoying: you are 35 and play in the cups, what are you complaining for? If you don't want to be a backup, then why did you accept my offer in the first place? (I'm speaking to my goalkeeper :-) )

Funny thing is, as crafty bison said, top clubs are always linked/buy backup keepers even if they have two or three of them from the beginning. There's a guy from Nigeria who always sign for Juventus at the beginning of the game and starts complaining after two or three months.

Not to mention the media:

1) Do you agree Buffon is on top of his form?

Yes I do

2) What are the chances of seeing Manninger playing in the starting eleven?

Are you stupid or what? I just told that my first choice is doing wonders!!!

Personally I always have a youth goalkeeper as backup. Works fine for 1-3 games when my keeper is injured... If I get a long injury I tend to be quite screwed, but atleast I don't have to have an unhappy dummy at the bench, but rather a motivated young fellow that'll do his best each chance he gets! :)

Yeah I don't like having keepers around on high wages who never play, so I tend to sell them before their value falls too much. It's always a gamble though because you might need that guy if your number one gets crocked, but I usually just take the risk and use promising youngsters as back up.

Archived