A general question to SI

I think it might be interesting to know how often you guys actually get to sit down and play the game for fun, if ever? For me, part of the problem is that you guys rely on a 'testing team' that can replicate bugs, but (and I've heard from testers who say this) they aren't playing 'for fun'.

I can't imagine that you want to spend time playing a game you've worked on, and presumably know how to beat, but I'd say that it would definately be worthwhile to really sit down and experience what some of us experience as customers.

Regarding testers, how have some of the bugs slipped through can I ask? Is every league tested? I know it sounds obvious, but I can't imagine that you weren't aware that some of these problems were in the original game. I've not for a long time seen a vaersion of FM that was riddled with bugs that seem very very obvious to anyone who has played the game for longer than a season.

This isn't a dig, it's more of a 'perhaps it's time to change how testing is done'.

Here Here, i completely agree!!

Like you say, no dig at si whatsoever,but i'm sure you'll agree (si) that there have been an unrivaled amount a bugs and difficulties with the 09 game which could possibly be brought to light quicker and more efficiently than usual if tested by a select group of people who actually play the game for 'fun' rather than for the purpose of soley looking for problems.

Pehaps, this could be used to your advantage in the form of generating interest for the '10 game.

I'm sure you'll agree that some of the mor fickle characters may turn the back on fm due to the problems with the 09 version, perhaps to return good feeling,confidence in the product and much needed positive publicity you would consider running a competition open to those who purchased the 09 version with the prize being that you join the select team of 'joe the plumber' testers that have the advantage of , a. playing the game far in advance of the norm and, b. would be involved in creating a better fm constructively rather than with unfair and sometimes abusive 'critique' that has been seen all too often on these forums!!

Just an idea si, would love to hear a response as to how you feel about this idea

I've seen SI employees say they play the game. Just because they make it doesn't mean they know how to beat it. I know where to find great players, that would fit perfectly in my team, but I choose to use my scouts to find players.

I really don't think that FM is a game that goes along with the 'making equals knowing how to beat' hypothesis. An RPG, puzzle or adventure game perhaps, but not a footie management sim.

This isn't a dig, it's more of a 'perhaps it's time to change how testing is done'.

Wasn't there talk, a little while back, about implementing a beta testing phase? Isn't there a topic on it on the front page of general discussion.

I see what your point is, but I just think you are swinging wildly and missing with this one, Argel.

Argel - you make an entirely valid point but I have seen some of the SI staff say they play the game for fun. I think Miles does for starters. I believe they are all footie fans and many enjoy managing through the game.

The Beta testing SI have setup, as mention by anagain, is another step towards testing late builds of FM in 'home environments' which can only improve things. Time will tell if it provides enough of a boost.

I've seen SI employees say they play the game. Just because they make it doesn't mean they know how to beat it. I know where to find great players, that would fit perfectly in my team, but I choose to use my scouts to find players.

I really don't think that FM is a game that goes along with the 'making equals knowing how to beat' hypothesis. An RPG, puzzle or adventure game perhaps, but not a footie management sim.

Wasn't there talk, a little while back, about implementing a beta testing phase? Isn't there a topic on it on the front page of general discussion.

I see what your point is, but I just think you are swinging wildly and missing with this one, Argel.

You've basically picked up on one tiny part of the post that is irrelevant to the main point.

I think it might be interesting to know how often you guys actually get to sit down and play the game for fun, if ever? For me, part of the problem is that you guys rely on a 'testing team' that can replicate bugs, but (and I've heard from testers who say this) they aren't playing 'for fun'

The sheer volume of bugs both suggests and supports quite the opposite.

Lots of leagues outside the EPL have issues that would never make it to the RC if the bugs were in the EPL.

By my reckoning, and a review of league specific bugs would likely support this, most of the testers fired up man city or the big four in the EPL, Serie A, or La Liga and played for fun rather than actually testing specific leagues and area's.

Not that I care, I may well be wrong, but I'm having fun, whereas your carefully thought out post smacks of yet another 'is it fun?' thread.

I don't think even you know if you're supporting or disputing my viewpoint, so it's difficult to respond.

Yes, so thinly veiled, with the mention of the word 'fun' twicein the first paragraph. Woe is me, I have been destroyed by Internets legend Indi75, all-seeing master of posts. Nice edit.

Look, it's a point, you can agree or not, but the good news is that I think SI actually know that I have no axe to grind, quite the opposite, and that I've actually managed to stop the miles-bashing that exists in certain parts of the community. If you want to read too much into something, that's fine, I'm just trying to give an opinion that is my own, and that I believe is helpful.

I see what you mean about them cranking up big teams rather than grinding out lower leagues, but surely testers aren't paid to just do what they want?

Also, I don't know whether that is a case of playing for fun or not. I can't define what is fun for the testers. 'Easy' perhaps, but not 'fun'.

You've basically picked up on one tiny part of the post that is irrelevant to the main point.

What? So your post wasn't about suggesting better testing? Whatever you write is relevant because you wrote it.

Why post something if you think it is irrelevant?

It was a minor point in the grand scheme of the post. I don't care whether they can or can't, it was a guess, and yeah, I actually do think they probably have a greater intrinsic knowledge of how the game works. As I said, it is irrelevant 'why', the more pressing point would be whether they play the game themselves.

• SI Staff

We have enforced play days every now and again which have been very useful. I continued my game from that for another three seasons but stopped playing it after getting relegated and sacked :(

Archived