PDA

View Full Version : is the "throw himself into tackles" PPM good for anything?

uppercut
24-01-2009, 00:18
is it useful for anything? a DC with good tackling/decisons maybe?

x42bn6
24-01-2009, 00:24
Mixed bag, really.

With good defenders, it has paid off for me.

With poor defenders, it's simply asking for red mist.

DietSpam
24-01-2009, 00:37
I always ask them not to dive into tackles.

davesearle1984
24-01-2009, 00:42
Surely even with the best defenders you dont want them over commiting to challenges that they may not win, in reality that could easily leave big holes at the back

uppercut
24-01-2009, 00:47
i'm just wondering if say a defender had 20 for tackling, would "dives into tackles" be not so bad because a) he'd great at tackling so any negatives would be outweighed by going in for more tackles?

x42bn6
24-01-2009, 01:21
Surely even with the best defenders you dont want them over commiting to challenges that they may not win, in reality that could easily leave big holes at the back
Which is why it's a bit of a mixed bag.

It seems to make them more aggressive which isn't a bad thing if your defenders are very good. However, it tends to give away more set-pieces even for excellent defenders, obviously.

Can't really quantify a what-if scenario with it, but in my experience, it's never really hurt me much, although that's probably because I have good centre-backs.

Dan Dirtyape
24-01-2009, 03:03
I took over a club and one of the first messages said that a defender had learned to dive into tackles and would now have a much better chance of winning the ball when slide tackling.

Smac
24-01-2009, 03:23
Can be useful when combined with hard tackling to put off cowardly players using opposition instructions. But I always feel like a thug when I do that...

Amaroq
24-01-2009, 03:24
I expect that it works more like: increases the chance of him attempting a slide tackle.

Slide tackle =

1. Higher chance of winning the ball (with a successful "Tackling" check)
2. Higher chance of giving away a foul
3. Higher chance of missing, and being left adrift if the man

TheRealMagpies
24-01-2009, 03:46
is this ppm meant to represent the 2 footed slide-in ??

always thought it did, but have never been sure.

SSGTroyer
24-01-2009, 08:01
I was telling a recent DRC regen to dive into tackles, and my son, who was watching over my shoulder, looked a bit confused. Being American, I know he may be as confused about the concepts as I was when I first picked up the game, so I asked him what was wrong.

"Do they really go in head-first?"

el sid
24-01-2009, 10:14
I was telling a recent DRC regen to dive into tackles, and my son, who was watching over my shoulder, looked a bit confused. Being American, I know he may be as confused about the concepts as I was when I first picked up the game, so I asked him what was wrong.

"Do they really go in head-first?"

LMAO :D :D I would like to meet your son one day :D :D

easternhawk2
24-01-2009, 10:29
I always ask some of my defenders to dive into tackles but all of them always reject learning the ppm.

Shambalanhas
27-04-2010, 21:46
I wonder if it would be a good ppm for DMCs or MCs, at least you would steal the ball closer to goal and even if you fouled it would be farther from goal. I was wondering if learningPPMs actually improve stats, performance or just tell players what to do in general...

Fabio MVP
27-04-2010, 22:15
One thing for sure, always teach your DC's 'Does Not Dives Into Tackles' PPM. On the other side I like my full-back and defensive minded midfielders to have 'Dives Into Tackles' PPM.

edgar555
27-04-2010, 22:19
Can be useful when combined with hard tackling to put off cowardly players using opposition instructions. But I always feel like a thug when I do that...

Don't feel bad, it's a man's game :D
I feel this PPM isn't for everyone but for DM's with superb tackling and the right mentals it can work a treat in owning any midfield.

SFraser
27-04-2010, 22:46
I expect that it works more like: increases the chance of him attempting a slide tackle.

Slide tackle =

1. Higher chance of winning the ball (with a successful "Tackling" check)
2. Higher chance of giving away a foul
3. Higher chance of missing, and being left adrift if the man

I pretty much think the same.

Dives into Tackles sounds like the PPM version of the Hard Tackling option.

It's not a case of the player going two footed into the opponents upper thigh, but a case that he will go for tackles that he has less chance of winning. I.e. tackle when the opportunity is a glimmer rather than waiting for the perfect moment to nick the ball.

And remember, Strength is absolutely huge in this area. You don't even need to actually tackle a player if your Strength is much superior to him, you can just get your body in the way and ease him off the ball.

thebluesigns
27-04-2010, 22:57
The way I look at it, you have to balance up what type of player the guy is. Is he a defender who you want to be throwing himself into last-ditch tackles to save the game (determination, bravery, aggression, tackling) or is he a man who has a cool head and can force his opposing player to find a different route through (anticipation, positioning)

Ranbir
28-04-2010, 08:53
I thought it was those throwing entire body in the way of the ball, like those 'heroic' blocked shots maybe.