Game Over

On sunday i had been happily playing FM 09 throughout the day at last guiding Leeds into the UEFA cup. Upon going to load it again later in the afternoon i was asked to enter the acrivation code again. Finding advice on these forums it was apparent i had no choice but to uninstall the game resulting in losing my saved games and the patches i'd downloaded. This whole activation code/unilock/steam palarva has been a joke from the start and i certainly wont be purchasing any future Football Manager games that contain such a system. Having stuck with 09 through the release day problems and subsequent errors on the game only to be rewarded with having to lose all the hours ive put in is almost inulting. I for one will only be returning to the Football Manager series when SI Games get their act together and release an error free game worthy of the international following the game has developed through the years

I wish steam would die a slow painful death.

steam is my enemy. it always tells me about its "updates" (to other games i dont want) and it says to "join in with the steam community press tab and shift" every time i load up fm09. i dont want to do this but, to close the message, it tells me to press tab and shift so the sly beast makes you press its combination whether you want to or not- i will have my revenge on it though, all is far from lost

When I was on a boring family holiday I thought i'd bring my laptop and get in some valuable fm time. Steam wouldn't work so I couldn't open the game. Only works for me whem i'm connected to the internet. I wish steam had never entered my life

steam is my enemy. it always tells me about its "updates" (to other games i dont want) and it says to "join in with the steam community press tab and shift" every time i load up fm09. i dont want to do this but' date=' to close the message, it tells me to press tab and shift so the sly beast makes you press its combination whether you want to or not- i will have my revenge on it though, all is far from lost[/quote']

To get rid of that Steam Community pop-up box, open up Steam and click on 'View' at the top of the interface. Next, click on 'Settings' and navigate to the 'In-game' tab. Uncheck the 'Enable Steam Community In-game' option and no more sly beast hallucinations to deal with.

Additionally, please read on for a way that might assist in your fight against the pop-up updates of other Steam-available games whenever you try to get your FM fix.

When I was on a boring family holiday I thought i'd bring my laptop and get in some valuable fm time. Steam wouldn't work so I couldn't open the game. Only works for me whem i'm connected to the internet. I wish steam had never entered my life

You do not need to connect to Steam to play FM 2009. This issue has been brought up and the solution posted in many a thread. You can do a search for it, but I will post the solution here as well.

Open up 'My Computer' and navigate to the drive/folder where you have installed Steam under. Look for the folder called 'Steamapps' and subsequently, the folder called 'Common' in it. In 'Common' you should be able to find the FM 2009 folder.

Go into the FM 2009 folder and look for the file called 'fm.exe'. Right-click on that, click on 'Create Shortcut' and follow through to send a shortcut icon to your desktop. Now all you have to do to start up FM 2009 from now on, is click on that shortcut, thus bypassing the opening of Steam.

This will also prevent you from unintentionally patching your game automatically since you will not be connected to Steam at all.

Oh and for the record, I like Steam a lot. It has made the process of purchasing, authenticating and patching the game a simple breeze for me.

steam is my enemy. it always tells me about its "updates" (to other games i dont want) and it says to "join in with the steam community press tab and shift" every time i load up fm09. i dont want to do this but' date=' to close the message, it tells me to press tab and shift so the sly beast makes you press its combination whether you want to or not- i will have my revenge on it though, all is far from lost[/quote']

Note to both of you!! You do not need to have steam running to play FM09! Simply launch the FM09. exe from within the steam directory. Or better yet, create a desktop shortcut of said file!

No internet connection or steam . I only used steam to download the game and apply the updates when they were released. Apart from those 3 occasions I never had to use Steam.

Archived