It's a given. **PLAYER NAMING WITHIN**

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but there are a few things that seem to happen over and over on about 50% of all the games I see. I'm basing my opinions on threads and screenshots within the threads I have seen. You may disagree or you may have seen other examples. I'm not complaining so please don't flame me, just making an observation and would like to see if other people have spotted the same or other examples?

1: Liverpool seem to underachieve. I have seen numerous final league tables and often see Liverpool down in about 6th to 10th place. (I noticed this because I support Liverpool, you might have spotted the same for your team).

2: Oscar Cardozo and Keirrison get signed by everyone! I personally have signed neither simply because everyone else does.

3: Two of the following three teams will be relegated in season 1 - Hull, Middlesbrough or Stoke. Seen this on almost all league tables posted here.

4: Wonder tactics don't work. All the tactics claiming "Wonder Tactic, beats eveyone and finished top of the league with Fulham/Bolton/Hull/Boro etc..." are actually pretty average and you're much better tweaking your own tactic. This could just be me though, I've tried a couple but with average results, yet my own tactic has given me much better results.

You mention that everyone signs Cardozo and Keirrison, why would people not sign players that are quality at a cheap price. Why would people go after someone like Dean Ashton and pay £15m for him when you can get better players cheaper.

Personally I have never signed either of them, I prefer Balotelli. The reason is the same, he is 18, costs £10m and in 2 years is amazing.

Tactics need to change with the players that you have, one tactic will never work for every team.

You mention that everyone signs Cardozo and Keirrison, why would people not sign players that are quality at a cheap price. Why would people go after someone like Dean Ashton and pay £15m for him when you can get better players cheaper.

Personally I have never signed either of them, I prefer Balotelli. The reason is the same, he is 18, costs £10m and in 2 years is amazing.

Tactics need to change with the players that you have, one tactic will never work for every team.

I understand why people buy them, I just personally prefer not to use players loads of other people buy or well documented obscure players that are amazing on Footy Manager. I would like to see a few more AI teams bidding for these players though, if they are that good surely all of Europes top teams would have their eye on them? I'm not against people buying them, just the vast majority of people buy them because they are proven cheap, quality players. Like I said these are just observations, not critisisms.

Yeah, totally agree with you on the tactics thing and actually really like the fact that there isn't one single wonder tactic, well done SI.

He is stopping this thread getting closed :)

Im glad super tactics don't work to be honest. It stops the temptation I get to download them :)

Yeah I think this is a big plus for the game from SI. I don't know if it's just a matter of time before someone develops one, but from my own experience I have really struggled to get anywhere near the same results I had on previous versions. This one is either much harder or the tactics I employed in 08 and before just don't work in 09. It's a case of finding a new way of doing things I think.

I think the fact that the AI can get used to your tactics and start to counter it is a great point of this game. In previous versions I would find a formation that worked and stick with it for years.

In this version I have to change it every year or so. Not major changes, just enough to keep the AI guessing.

Who cares about "Wonder Tactics" anymore? The perception that there are tactics out there that work for every team is just naive. Yes, you can have a base to build from, but you will still need to change some aspects of it.

And as for number 2, what does that matter anyway? That has always happened on FM. For example: Adu, Mokoena, etc, etc. All you can to prevent this is to sign them instead of other teams getting there first

Who cares about "Wonder Tactics" anymore? The perception that there are tactics out there that work for every team is just naive. Yes, you can have a base to build from, but you will still need to change some aspects of it.

And as for number 2, what does that matter anyway? That has always happened on FM. For example: Adu, Mokoena, etc, etc. All you can to prevent this is to sign them instead of other teams getting there first

Agreed. Like I said above, the fact that there doesn't appear to be "wonder tactics" is a good thing.

Yeah there have always been players like this. Adu in my opinion is a poor example though because at the time he was good on football manager (and he still is from what I have seen) it was pretty much world news anyway that he was a fantastic prospect, pretty much in the same way it's world news that Messi is a class player. I think it's good that they have the -2/-10 system in place to give random player development so you'll always get different players developing into stars of the future, but I think that they should also have more "big" clubs interested in signing the likes of Keirrison to make it more difficult and add more variation to games. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind people buying the same players because like someone mentioned above, why wouldn't you buy them, but at the same time why wouldn't Arsenal, Man Utd, Cheslea, Real Madrid, Barcelona and so on want to buy him too?

Yeah same people relegated in my game 20th Hull, 19th Stoke, 18th Boro

And Liverpool got robbed a CL spot on the last day on goal difference by Chelsea this all in a game where I came 3rd by 4 points with United then Arsenal Second but the biggest shock of all...

Everton Won the league :|

Hull and Stoke got relegated in my first season. But they're predicted to finish low so what's the problem? Liverpool won the league in my first season. They then came 4th the next season and all 3 newly promoted teams went down. Hull are back in the Prem in the 3rd season but are last in mid January.

Actually now you mention it Everton have seemed to overperform in my leagues too. Currently in my Newcastle game I'm in January and they are 2nd in the league with a game in hand. I did notice on a couple of other screen shots of other people's games they were 3rd or about there too.

Hull and Stoke got relegated in my first season. But they're predicted to finish low so what's the problem? Liverpool won the league in my first season. They then came 4th the next season and all 3 newly promoted teams went down. Hull are back in the Prem in the 3rd season but are last in mid January.

I think it's fair enough that Stoke and Hull would be considered relegation candidates and they have performed admirably so far IRL. What does seem a little odd is on most of the games I have seen completed screenshots for season 1, Liverpool finish low on almost all of them (6th to 10th) I would consider them to be almost guaranteed 3rd to 6th based on previous form obviously give or take for a few good/bad results. Plus now it's been mentioned Everton do seem to overachieve on the whole. Obviously there are going to be games where Everton finish well and Liverpool finish badly, just look at Hull IRL! Very few people would have predicted they would have done so well.

What I'm saying is; if you take 100 random season 1 premier league final tables from the current database, you would expect to see on average the game reflecting roughly the actual league. It seems however on first glance that Liverpool are underpowered and Everton are overpowered?

It would be nice to get everyone to post their season 1 league tables to see what the game database averages for the Prem (or any other league for that matter). I like realism in my Footy Manager games, but don't mind if teams over/underperform now and again or rise/fall in status over a few seasons or even have a one hit wonder season. What does concern me is if a team considered mid-table or top 4 or relegation candidate consistently over/under performs in those 100 random seasons. That to me would be a data issue.

Archived