Individual Stats - The Discussion

I thought we'd have a decent discussion about the player stats and see if people agree/disagree with what I think each one does. Remember this is my own opinions and views.

GOALKEEPING ATTRIBUTES

Aerial Ability: - This is a must for any half decent keeper because its how good he is in the air. This is used for any high balls (shots or crosses.) It measures how the keeper judges where to jump to get the ball.

Command of area: - This is a bit like a presence and determines what sort of goalkeeper he is. Will he be one who stays on his line and wont challenge for crosses? If he as a low stat for this, then he tends to not come for crosses. So basically its a tendency for the GK to come for crosses.

Communication: - This makes the defense play better, as a unit if the keeper as a high attribute for this stat. It's his way of organising the defence and getting his orders across to them.

Eccentricity: - I hate goalkeepers with a high attribute for this, due to it can make him do something silly and cost you a game.

Handling: - This is probably the most important goalkeeper stat there is. The higher the attribute the more chance of him holding onto the ball more often and not dropping infront of an oppositions player.

Kicking: - Fairly simple this one, Its how far the can kick the ball. How accurate the ball is, is down to passing and technique attributes.

One On Ones: - How good the keeper is in One on One situations. He attempts to make himself big and try and narrow the oppositions angles.

Reflexes: - This determines how good a keeper is at closed ranged shots where he might not have time to think and just reacts. Other factors influence this stat too like agility.

Rushing Out: - If a long ball is played over your defence and is going towards the keeper, if he as a high attribute for this then he might rush out. Like most attributes things like acceleration also come into play.

Tendency To Punch: - Another straight forward attribute. If this attribute is high then he will punch more often than he catches the ball.

Throwing: - The ability for the goalkeeper to throw the ball.

I thought we'd have a decent discussion about the player stats and see if people agree/disagree with what I think each one does. Remember this is my own opinions and views.

GOALKEEPING ATTRIBUTES

Aerial Ability: - This is a must for any half decent keeper because its how good he is in the air. This is used for any high balls (shots or crosses.) It measures how the keeper judges where to jump to get the ball.

Command of area: - This is a bit like a presence and determines what sort of goalkeeper he is. Will he be one who stays on his line and wont challenge for crosses? If he as a low stat for this, then he tends to not come for crosses. So basically its a tendency for the GK to come for crosses.

Communication: - This makes the defense play better, as a unit if the keeper as a high attribute for this stat. It's his way of organising the defence and getting his orders across to them.

Eccentricity: - I hate goalkeepers with a high attribute for this, due to it can make him do something silly and cost you a game.

Handling: - This is probably the most important goalkeeper stat there is. The higher the attribute the more chance of him holding onto the ball more often and not dropping infront of an oppositions player.

Kicking: - Fairly simple this one, Its how far the can kick the ball. How accurate the ball is, is down to passing and technique attributes.

One On Ones: - How good the keeper is in One on One situations. He attempts to make himself big and try and narrow the oppositions angles.

Reflexes: - This determines how good a keeper is at closed ranged shots where he might not have time to think and just reacts. Other factors influence this stat too like agility.

Rushing Out: - If a long ball is played over your defence and is going towards the keeper, if he as a high attribute for this then he might rush out. Like most attributes things like acceleration also come into play.

Tendency To Punch: - Another straight forward attribute. If this attribute is high then he will punch more often than he catches the ball.

Throwing: - The ability for the goalkeeper to throw the ball.

MENTAL ATTRIBUTES

Agression: - How incisive the player is in his tackles. An aggressive player will try more tackles and will mark more closely. A player with low aggression will play further back, will be more selective with his tackles, etc. The down side of a high attribute for this is he could pick up a few extra bookings, or even a red card. So be sure to check other attributes like tackling and decisions.

Anticipation: - This attribute only works when the player does not have the ball. It's how good he reads the other teams play and your own teams play. It's basically his reading of a player and what they are likely to anticpate next, be it attacking or defensive. Wether he makes it or not is down to things like determination, teamwork and workrate.

Bravery: - If the player has high Work Rate and Bravery then you got yourself a soldier. It determines if a player will go for 50/50 tackles. The higher the attribute the more likely it is.

Composure: - How calm a player can stay when in a tense situation. It affect both defensive and attacking minded players. Strikers to keep cool while trying to score that all important goal, defenders while trying to take the ball of a skillful atacker.

Concentration: - How focused a player can stay for 90 minutes or beyond if needed. If a player as a low attribute for this, then it's common for him to switch off from time to time. This is why we see defenders do so many mistakes at times, due to them not paying enough attention.

Creativity: - It's about seeing options, not executing them. A player with a high attribute for this might see a certain pass another player doesn't. It's not an attribute that determines if it's the right option or not, thats down to decisions. So basically this attribute is just someones vision of the game.

Decisions: - The higher the stat the more chance of a player doing the right thing i.e instead of shooting maybe he passes to someone better placed than himself. Again though other attributes need to be taken into consideration.

Determination: - This attribute also works off the pitch and can help with injuured players when trying to get them to recover and match fit. A determined player will also train harder as well as go that extra mile in a game. The higher the attribute, the less chance of him giving up.

Flair: - A player with high Flair will try the improbable more often, but - and thats a big but - this does not mean he will succeed. He needs to have high decisions in order to make it work and also some good ability in what he is trying to make. For example: A striker with high Flair needs to have high decisions AND high finishing attributes. I my opinion, a high flair in a player with low decisions is a bad thing.

Influence: - The higher the attribute for this the more of a leader they are. All good capatins needs this.

Off The Ball: - How well the player positions himself. Basically it's his movement when he doesn't have the ball.

Positioning: - How well the player positions himself. A higher attributes means he is more likely to be in a better position to recieve the ball or for any interceptions you might make.

Teamwork: - A high attribute for this means he will be less selfish, meaning he plays for the team and won't be greedy.

Workrate: - It's how hard the player will work. The higher the attribute the more likely he is to give 100%

PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES

Accelration: - How fast a player can reach speed from a still position.

Agility: - The ability to turn his body fast and make quick movements.

Balance: - If a player is challenged for the ball, does he stay on his feet or go to ground. Or maybe he is challenging for the ball. That's what this attribute does.

Jumping: - This is how high the player can get his top of the head. It's not a attribute that makes him jump more. It's just how high he can jump

Natural Fitness: - Its about how fast he recoveres from injuries or little knocks.

Pace: - A players maximum speed

Stamina: - It determines how long a player can last. A player with low stamina is more likely to become tired in wet conditions than someone with a higher stamina attribute.

Strength: - The overall physical strength of the player

NOTE - I found this old quote from Marc Vaughan about jumping;

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Jumping does NOT mean physically how many inches a player can jump - its an indication of the height a player can reach while jumping, hence height is a large factor in this.

If you doubt this then consider the following - you're 5'4'' tall, I'm 6'6'' tall ... chances of you being able to jump heigher than me = pretty darn slim imho.

Even if I have absolutely NO jumping ability and can get barely 4 inches off the floor you'd still have to jump 18 inches in order to match my natural height advantage.

As such considering that 'jumping' is an indication of how high a player can jump in the game and as such has a factor of height in it I don't think its unreasonable to indicate what I did.

Obviously you can get short players in the game with reasonable jumping (ie. Mr. Owen - 5'8'' & 9 jumping) and tall players who can't jump (ie. me in a previous game - 6'6'' & 9 jumping ). But if both players are good jumpers than obviously the taller one will have a natural advantage (hence 20 jumping isn't likely to be held by a 5'4'' tall player). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you're spot on for most of the attributes, but I do have a few points to make.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Agression: - How incisive the player is in his tackles. An aggressive player will try more tackles and will mark more closely. A player with low aggression will play further back, will be more selective with his tackles, etc. The down side of a high attribute for this is he could pick up a few extra bookings, or even a red card. So be sure to check other attributes like tackling and decisions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure that it follows that Aggression has a relationship with tighter marking. I can't help but think that the Marking, Positioning, and Decisions attributes would contribute more than aggression would (individual or team settings for closing down and tight marking not withstanding) for tighter marking.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Composure: - How calm a player can stay when in a tense situation. It affect both defensive and attacking minded players. Strikers to keep cool while trying to score that all important goal, defenders while trying to take the ball of a skillful atacker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might want to consider Composure for goaltenders, as well. I consider it a crucial stat, because single digit composure on an otherwise world-class keeper will lead to some disasterous outings. I have the best regen GK in the world in my Sheff Wed game, and he's about on par with a Cech or Buffon sort for his attributes, except for composure. As a result, if he lets in an early goal, I know the match is as good as over, because he'll let in at least three goals, even if my defenders don't make any sort of mistakes. He's also got high scores (18+) for Consistency and Important Matches, but in general, because of his tendency to allow multiple goals, he's inferior to my backup keeper, who has 17 for composure but who is inferior in basically every goaltending attribute as well as positioning.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Natural Fitness: - Its about how fast he recoveres from injuries or little knocks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also seem to remember hearing back in FM05 days that it also determines how quickly a player regains his fitness between matches (a player with 20 natural fitness will get closer to 100% fitness than a player with 5 natural fitness, if they were at 80% at the end of the preceeding game, for example), which is a big deal during the congested December and January schedules in the English Premiership, for example.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I'm not sure that it follows that Aggression has a relationship with tighter marking. I can't help but think that the Marking, Positioning, and Decisions attributes would contribute more than aggression would (individual or team settings for closing down and tight marking not withstanding) for tighter marking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah thats true, but agression still plays a part too I feel. Someone with a high agression stats seems to hound the player more, hence why I mentioned marked more closly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> You might want to consider Composure for goaltenders, as well. I consider it a crucial stat, because single digit composure on an otherwise world-class keeper will lead to some disasterous outings. I have the best regen GK in the world in my Sheff Wed game, and he's about on par with a Cech or Buffon sort for his attributes, except for composure. As a result, if he lets in an early goal, I know the match is as good as over, because he'll let in at least three goals, even if my defenders don't make any sort of mistakes. He's also got high scores (18+) for Consistency and Important Matches, but in general, because of his tendency to allow multiple goals, he's inferior to my backup keeper, who has 17 for composure but who is inferior in basically every goaltending attribute as well as positioning. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye composure is really important for keepers as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I also seem to remember hearing back in FM05 days that it also determines how quickly a player regains his fitness between matches (a player with 20 natural fitness will get closer to 100% fitness than a player with 5 natural fitness, if they were at 80% at the end of the preceeding game, for example), which is a big deal during the congested December and January schedules in the English Premiership, for example. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agan also true, it does help immensly inbetween games.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Composure: - How calm a player can stay when in a tense situation. It affect both defensive and attacking minded players. Strikers to keep cool while trying to score that all important goal, defenders while trying to take the ball of a skillful atacker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Composure is a key attribute for defenders. I saw some debate about this on another thread, but if a player does not have high composure, they are also more likely to:

- score an own goal

- kick the ball out for a corner when the sensible thing to do was to pass to another player or put the ball out for a throw

- cause penalties

Most people on the thread I looked at believed that this was a striking attribute only, but as you have said (and as is clearly stated in the manual), it is a key defender attribute and one that is difficult to train - so its worth trying to find young players with a high enough natural ability in this.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Yeah thats true, but agression still plays a part too I feel. Someone with a high agression stats seems to hound the player more, hence why I mentioned marked more closly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wonder if Dirtiness could have any link to this. I could see a dirtier player doing one of two, very different things-- either marking more closely and giving the other player a little bit of roughness; or marking a little farther away, so that he's got an extra step and can really accelerate into the challenge to crunch the other guy with a hard tackle. Thoughts?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Law_Man:

Could a dirty player also be more prone to other more general rule violations such as diving, handling the ball, abuse etc? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Id say that's sportsmanship

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Could a dirty player also be more prone to other more general rule violations such as diving, handling the ball, abuse etc? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that's the case. The only other mental attribute that could relate to diving would perhaps be Sportsmanship, but I think Dirtiness is the likely culprit. I think you can present a plausible, rational case for either one, though-- diving isn't a sporting thing to do, and neither is handling the ball. At the same time, they're both dirty plays (diving moreso than the handball). Unless SI decide to open up the match engine to the general public (hah!) it'll merely be an uncertainty.

Hidden ATTRIBUTES

Adaptability: - How quick someone might settle into a new team, area, surroundings etc. Also helps for training new positions.

Ambition: - It determines if the player may see your club as a stepping stone,

Controvesy: - How controverse he is off the field, so he might be one who may slag you off in the press.

Loyalty: - How loyal he is

Pressure: - How he handles pressure in and off the field. This is about scoring that all important penalty kick, how he plays that championship final, etc.

Professionalism: - Even if he isn't in the first team , will he still be 100% committed.

Sportsmanship: - Its about his character on and off the field. How sporting his conduct is.

Temperament: - How likely is he to see the red mist. If someone does a challenge and he doesn't like it, will he react? Or if you say he's playing bad in the press, will he fly off the handle?

Sure I've missed some hidden ones icon_confused.gif

I'm sure I read somewhere from SI that dirtyness is the intention to hurt the other player. I.E he looks to hurth them in tackles and challenges in the air.

It makes sense too, as Sportsmanship is then down to things like diving

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Flair: - A player with high Flair will try the improbable more often, but - and thats a big but - this does not mean he will succeed. He needs to have high decisions in order to make it work and also some good ability in what he is trying to make. For example: A striker with high Flair needs to have high decisions AND high finishing attributes. I my opinion, a high flair in a player with low decisions is a bad thing.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To me flair also reflect player's intuition, ability to be in a place where nobody expects to see him. I agree it is perfect when complemented with high decision stat, but also may work great if a team has a great playmaker who can utilize other players' flair. I tend to have wingers with higher flair as it is not so critical if a winger loses ball when trying something unexpected or showes up in unexpected place and does not get ball, but if he succeed it's always dangerous.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm sure I read somewhere from SI that dirtyness is the intention to hurt the other player. I.E he looks to hurth them in tackles and challenges in the air.

It makes sense too, as Sportsmanship is then down to things like diving </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Makes sense. Sportsmanship also covers kicking the ball out of play so someone can receive treatment too, so it's got a few other uses, too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Pressure: - How he handles pressure in and off the field. This is about scoring that all important penalty kick, how he plays that championship final, etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you could also add to this how well a player (especially a young player) deals with transfer speculation. I'm pretty sure Pressure is what determines whether a guy gets overwhelmed by all the interest being shown in him, or if he just takes it in stride. "Feels pressured by the interest being shown in him" is the text line, I think, which is what I'm basing this on.

TECHNICAL ATTRIBUTES

Corners: - The ability to take corners.

Crossing: - The abilty to put at accurate cross into the box.

Dribbling: - For a good dribbler they need pace, acceleration and agilty. Dribbling is the attribute that determines if a player can dribble the ball past his opponent.

Finishing: - The ability to find the back of the net. Remember though like everything else things like composure come into play as well

First Touch: - Someone with a low attribute for this may find that a pass they recieve bounces off their foot. While someone with a higher attribute is likely to have the ball be glued to their foot.

Free Kicks: - Simliar to penalty taking but for freekicks.

Heading: - The players ability to direct the ball using his head.

Long Shots: - This is quite simliar to finishing, but for long shots.

Long Throws: - I bet you all guessed this one?

Marking: - How well he can stick to the man hes marking.

Passing: - The players accuracy at passing the ball from one player to another.

Penalty Tacking: - Self explantory

Tackling: - Its the attribute what determines if you can take the ball from your opponents feet.

Technique: - How well a player is with the ball at his feet.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think you could also add to this how well a player (especially a young player) deals with transfer speculation. I'm pretty sure Pressure is what determines whether a guy gets overwhelmed by all the interest being shown in him, or if he just takes it in stride. "Feels pressured by the interest being shown in him" is the text line, I think, which is what I'm basing this on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A very good example icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kolobok:

I have seen a few players with relatively high (15-16) free kick, but low long shots (5-7), crossing (7-10) and passing (9-11). Just wonder what he does when taking free kick icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A good freekick taker needs composure, technique and decisions imo

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A good freekick taker needs composure, technique and decisions imo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree. My question is what free kick stats along means if player cannot accurately pass, cross or shoot from distance?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kolobok:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A good freekick taker needs composure, technique and decisions imo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree. My question is what free kick stats along means if player cannot accurately pass, cross or shoot from distance? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think thats the freekick stat itself. As long as they have technique and composure they can normally score a fair few.

Just jumping back to the mental attributes...

I can strongly suggest that when looking to bring new players in, it's well worth looking at players with strong overall mental attributes.

I rarely sign players with mental attributes below 10, across the board. My teams "gel" quicker and play better as a unit. A strong team "mentally" is also easier to work with morale-wise generally speaking.

I find it's far easier to implement tactics and tactical changes with a mentally strong squad also.

Flair... Pah!! Dribbling...For babies...

Give me determination, composure, etc anytime! icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Communication: - This makes the defense play better, as a unit if the keeper as a high attribute for this stat. It's his way of organising the defence and getting his orders across to them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Cleon, I enjoy your threads and thought I`d comment on this.

If communication for a GK means they make the defence play better (read: defence organization), why does one not see the personal statement "Thinks Mr. Goalkeeper organizes the defence well" from other players?

Or does it occur, and only I have not seen it yet?

I always thought the communication stat shows how the keeper communicates to players in stressed situations, and for example when and when not to play the goalie as a last resort.

The outfield players should also have a value for communication, I think. But it`s covered through others stats?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If communication for a GK means they make the defence play better (read: defence organization), why does one not see the personal statement "Thinks Mr. Goalkeeper organizes the defence well" from other players? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It does occur. In FM07 Ustari was the best example - in a couple seasons all my defenders would say that. Though, since it occurs in a good relationship line, players should also like GK.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cleon:

Hidden ATTRIBUTES

Adaptability: - How quick someone might settle into a new team, area, surroundings etc. Also helps for training new positions.

Ambition: - It determines if the player may see your club as a stepping stone,

Controvesy: - How controverse he is off the field, so he might be one who may slag you off in the press.

Loyalty: - How loyal he is

Pressure: - How he handles pressure in and off the field. This is about scoring that all important penalty kick, how he plays that championship final, etc.

Professionalism: - Even if he isn't in the first team , will he still be 100% committed.

Sportsmanship: - Its about his character on and off the field. How sporting his conduct is.

Temperament: - How likely is he to see the red mist. If someone does a challenge and he doesn't like it, will he react? Or if you say he's playing bad in the press, will he fly off the handle?

Sure I've missed some hidden ones icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The ones you posted are hidden mental traits for a player.

The hidden attributes

Consistency

Dirtiness

Important matchs

Injury Proneness

Versatility

Iv only just started reading the forum again cleon mate and this is a great thread a lot of new players to fm struggle understanding the stats by linking stats together may give managers a diffrent view on stats they would see as none important for players.

PS: Do you have this as a sticky on the forum? if not i think it would make a great read for new players to the game coz in the past iv come across alot of misleading threads just dismissing stats for certain postions in the team keep up the great work cleon mate

I have some different opinions on a few

Aerial Ability IMO it does not decide where the keeper decides where to jump for the ball. This is down to decisions IMO (I have done some test that sugest I am right but they were not conclusive). This is his ability to save, catch or punch a ball when both feet are off the ground.

Reflexes "This determines how good a keeper is at closed ranged shots where he might not have time to think and just reacts." This I agree with 100%. Agility does not influence reflexes IMO but go very well together becasue a reflex save will just block the shot and the ball will bounce away from the gk agility is his ability to recover ready to save the next shot.

Throwing I thought this was how far the gk could throw the ball.

I am off to bed now I have gone through goalkeeping attributes I will go through the rest tomorrow. Another good thread by the way

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">g </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i believe both weight and height do have an effect on the pitch. i tried playing koller and crouch. and the number of headers they win is very high, especially so against defenders who are way shorter.

as for weight, i think it's something like that...if player A and player B has the same strength, but player A is heavier than player B, it is possible that player can knock player B away from the ball since he is heavier than player B.

@ Kolobok icon14.gif

OK, i`ve never picked that up. But then I think this is a far too rare statement as goalies are often organizers of the backline in a team. I will check many goalies with very high communication stat have this description in my current game (late season two).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oxslow:

I have some different opinions on a few

Aerial Ability IMO it does not decide where the keeper decides where to jump for the ball. This is down to decisions IMO (I have done some test that sugest I am right but they were not conclusive). This is his ability to save, catch or punch a ball when both feet are off the ground.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Saving the ball = handling, punch = tendency to punch. Theres no doubt at all that aerial ability is how good a keeper is in the air and nothing more.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Throwing I thought this was how far the gk could throw the ball. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> It does occur. In FM07 Ustari was the best example - in a couple seasons all my defenders would say that. Though, since it occurs in a good relationship line, players should also like GK. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've seen that too.

Cleon

I'd like to try and understand what the combination of a number of attributes would do, and what the ovveriding stts would be when selecting a player...I'll try my best to explain what i mean by using examples below..

Striker "A"

Composure = 10

Finishing = 15

Striker "B"

Composure = 15

Finishing = 10

In this istance (assuming other stats are the same) who would be the best striker ? - Historically i would always have looked for finishing first, but is this the overriding stat for a striker ? Or is composure more important ?

It would be good to almost "rank" the stats for a particular position.

Think this would help me choose the right tactics & training...

Apologies if this is off topic...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by macca72:

Cleon

I'd like to try and understand what the combination of a number of attributes would do, and what the ovveriding stts would be when selecting a player...I'll try my best to explain what i mean by using examples below..

Striker "A"

Composure = 10

Finishing = 15

Striker "B"

Composure = 15

Finishing = 10

In this istance (assuming other stats are the same) who would be the best striker ? - Historically i would always have looked for finishing first, but is this the overriding stat for a striker ? Or is composure more important ?

It would be good to almost "rank" the stats for a particular position.

Think this would help me choose the right tactics & training...

Apologies if this is off topic... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always choose composure over finishing as it makes a better striker imo. But low finishing doesn't matter too much if the rest of his important stats are quite high.

You can't rank stats as it is down to personal preference. But what you can do it find players with the right stats for a particular position. You can find out what I think they are in the FAQ's at top of forum.

Off the ball How well the player positions himself. When the team is attacking and he does not have the ball. IMO

Positioning How well the player postions himself. When the team is defending. IMO

Workrate I think this needs to be added to your comment This attribute becomes more importanbt when the weather is real cold (frozen pitch or snow).

Adaptability I did not think that this had anything to do with training new positions.

Ambition he will only see it as a stepping stone if he has low loyalty. If he has high loyalty he will want to win things with your club.

Dribbling By itself does not determin whether a player can dribble past another needs high tehnique as well to do this. It determines how well the play can control the ball at his feet while running in a straight line.

Finishing The ability to find the back of the net within the penalty area.

Technique I belive this affects all of the technical attributes not just when he has the ball at his feet. A high technique attribute makes i less likely a player will miskick a ball.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Off the ball How well the player positions himself. When the team is attacking and he does not have the ball. IMO </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe when the team has the ball, positioning takes over.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Workrate I think this needs to be added to your comment This attribute becomes more importanbt when the weather is real cold (frozen pitch or snow). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've not noticed any difference, as long as he's got high workrate he'll work just as hard in any game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Adaptability I did not think that this had anything to do with training new positions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye its also in the manual and hints and tips icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Technique I belive this affects all of the technical attributes not just when he has the ball at his feet. A high technique attribute makes i less likely a player will miskick a ball. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You need to have the ball to have technique.

Its interesting to see other peoples views on attributes though, keep em coming

What are the important attributes for each position

Goalkeepers - Vital Skills

Positioning, handling, command of area, agility, stamina, jumping, reflex, strength, decisions and aerial ability

Other

Throwing, pace, concentration, composure, bravery and anticipation

Centre backs - Vital Skills

Positioning, jumping, tackling, marking, aggression, strength, bravery and heading

Other Skills

Stamina, anticipation, determination, pace and acceleration

Fullbacks

Choose well, easily the best position to exploit in the game. If you can have the best of both worlds then they could be the diff between winning and losing. They can be both defensively good and offensively awesome. Pace isn't a crucial factor, but if you want them to be good defenders, then positioning and anticipation may have to be introduced as well.

Vital

Work rate, stamina, teamwork, decisions, positioning and acceleration

Other Skills

Determination, strength, crossing and dribbling

Defensive Midfielder

Holding players who can help draw out the opposition, they can also play deadly killer balls and work very well with AMC based formations.

Vital Stats

Tackling, strength, aggression, marking, stamina, work rate, teamwork and decisions

Others

Pace, passing, acceleration, determination, concentration, creativity

Attacking Mids

Link players with DMs or with regular MCs. If you place FWR often on them they could drift out of position so never do that. Use their strengths. This can be an interesting area, what's listed are bare essentials,but if they have good dribbling skills they can be very deadly too.So adjust their instructions based on what they have..you can use dribbling for long shots as a trade off.

Vital Stats

Decisions, Creativity, passing, off ball, technique, finishing, work rate

Others

Stamina, teamwork, flair, long shots, pace, acceleration

Wingers - Vital Skills

Crossing, creativity, dribbling, pace, acceleration, tackling, balance, technique, passing

Others

Finishing, long shots, teamwork, work rate, off ball

Forwards - Vital Stats

Creativity, flair, finishing, off ball, dribbling, passing, technique, pace, acceleration

Others

Teamwork, flair, balance, long shots, anticipation, crossing

Strikers - Vital Skill

finishing, off ball, jumping, heading, anticipation, technique

Other

Pace aggression, acceleration, strength, long shots

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You need to have the ball to have technique. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Take tackling for example you dont have to have good technique to tackle. It is more to do with the way you tackle. It influences the amount of fouls you give away and how succesful they can be at tackles.

This is just a suggestion nor am I prepared to list the necessary statistics because I am by no means an expert. I sometimes feel that when you come in, your style shoulder reflect the players you look for or in some circumstances when I play LL.

What do you think are the most important attributes which can be considered universal. I am sorry if this has been covered before.

My take is it is: teamwork, determination, work rate, decisions, stamina, concentration

If my players have all of the above, I will always be confident of winning. So much emphasis is put on ability and I agree it is important but the above are very important as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ntfc:

This is just a suggestion nor am I prepared to list the necessary statistics because I am by no means an expert. I sometimes feel that when you come in, your style shoulder reflect the players you look for or in some circumstances when I play LL.

What do you think are the most important attributes which can be considered universal. I am sorry if this has been covered before.

My take is it is: teamwork, determination, work rate, decisions, stamina, concentration

If my players have all of the above, I will always be confident of winning. So much emphasis is put on ability and I agree it is important but the above are very important as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm pretty much same as you icon_smile.gif

I dunno if you can answer this Cleon but in regards to the hidden attributes. I would gather they hold just as much importance as the attributes which are just displayed.

1) Why are they hidden? My guess would be because you can't improve them but then leads me to my next question

2) Can they be improved? or do they stay the same

3) Have you noticed any correlation into how much these affect the players. Say for example, important matches in my opinion could be deadly. I like to play one up front in this patch and as such with my Liverpool team who won the quad(had to brag), I found that Torres was more suited to the cup games or is this just a coincidence?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oxslow:

I will have a look at the attributes for each position later this afternoon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I look forward to hearing from you icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I dunno if you can answer this Cleon but in regards to the hidden attributes. I would gather they hold just as much importance as the attributes which are just displayed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There probably slightly more important, as these are the stats that determine a players real personality imo.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> 1) Why are they hidden? My guess would be because you can't improve them but then leads me to my next question </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Imagine how easy it would be if you could see these stats on the profile screen. The hidden stats would make a huge difference to people's games.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> 2) Can they be improved? or do they stay the same </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe certain ones do change yes. I think Lyssien or someone emntioned it recently.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">3) Have you noticed any correlation into how much these affect the players. Say for example, important matches in my opinion could be deadly. I like to play one up front in this patch and as such with my Liverpool team who won the quad(had to brag), I found that Torres was more suited to the cup games or is this just a coincidence? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I have certain players in my games who play a lot better against the big teams and vice versa. They play a massive part of the game and a lot neglect this factor and think its not important.

Goalkeepers

First of all I look at eccentricity. If it is over 10 then I am not going to get them idealy it would be 5 and under.

Then handling, reflexes, agility

Then I look at Aerial ability, decisions, positioning, jumping and strength.

If I am playing the offside trap and a high dl I will also think about one on ones, rushing out, anticipation and acceleration.

I missed out concentration from what I look for in goalkeepers as well.

Center backs and full backs I agree with.

Defensive midfielders My only diference would be postioning instead of marking and add anticipation.

Attacking midfielders I would take out finishing and add first touch.

Forwards You have flair on there twice I would only look for it once icon_wink.gif and add decisions for crossing.

Strikers I would take out aggression and add first touch.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Cleon:

Composure: - How calm a player can stay when in a tense situation. It affect both defensive and attacking minded players. Strikers to keep cool while trying to score that all important goal, defenders while trying to take the ball of a skillful atacker.

This would also be important when selecting a pk taker. icon_cool.gif

Great thread icon14.gif

I have a couple of questions/observations about some of the attributes.

Ariel Ability - When it comes to keepers how does this relate to Jumping, if it does at all. I see it as Ariel Ability determines how well a GK judges when and where to jump to recieve the ball and jumping determines how successful that jump will actually be. What do you think, are Jumping and Ariel Ability linked when it comes to keepers? What would be the effect of having a keeper with good ariel ability but poor jumping and vice versa?

Also do you think there's a link between jumping and reflexes? I always imagine that a GK with good reflexes and good jumping will not only be able make a split second decision about where to move for the ball, without thinking, but will be able to propel themselves further to actually make more saves. In my mind a GK with good reflexes and poor jumping will often move in the right direction to make a save, but will sometimes fall short of actually performing the save because they are not as mobile as a GK with good jumping. Or is this Agility?

I always look at a potential new keepers jumping attribute. Does anyone else feel this is an important attribute for keepers?

Command of area - Do you feel that this is linked to communication? I don't think any keeper can have a good command of his area without good communication. I always try and have high values in both of these areas when signing a keeper but would a player with a high command of area attribute but a low communication attribute suffer when it came to challenging for crosses?

Bravery - One thing I've noticed about bravery is that it can affect a player if the opposition is hard tackling them. A player with low bravery will tend to be taken out of the game if an opposition player is instructed to hard tackle them. However a player with high bravery (and perhaps other attributes such as determination) can thrive on this situation and actually play better.

This is why I always use opposition instructions to hard tackle players with bravery of 10 and under. This can be particularly effective against wingers with low bravery and can often pretty much take them out of the game.

And I've just thought of 2 hidden attributes that have been missed off the list:

Important Matches - How well aplayer performs in those big matches. He could be the best player in the world but be prone to bottle it on the big occasion. Or you could have a player who's fairly average but really rises to the occasion on the big games. Again linked to other attributes such as Pressure and possibly determination.

Consistancy - Obviously how consistant a player is. Determines whether a player blows hot and cold or whether they constantly play to the best of their ability.

Archived