football manager's got competion!!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Theres plenty of things that need improving in FM. The transfer market, media and player interaction, match engine tweaks, confidence, regens and player development are just a few of the areas of the game that need work done on them.

There is no decent competition to FM though. The other management games on the market are poor IMO.

Fifa Manager is rubbish. Who needs all those tacky features like cars and playing golf?

What areas of FM do you think need improving? Because it's better in all areas than Fifa, bar possibly graphics

i think Fifa adds realstic things having a family and a kid which could possibly being a manager and allows you to speak to agents, controlling finances although they put needless stuff like playing golf etc.

Football Manager is a classic no doubt

Originally posted by Awet:

i think Fifa adds realstic things having a family and a kid which could possibly being a manager and allows you to speak to agents, controlling finances although they put needless stuff like playing golf etc.

You say they add needless stuff like playing golf, but having an in game family is needless as well. In all honestly, what point is there in it being in the game?

Originally posted by Bongo-Bongo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Awet:

You say they add needless stuff like playing golf, but having an in game family is needless as well. In all honestly, what point is there in it being in the game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True,but its fun

You could also be in a gay family which cool

fifas problem is tht u get no money and in a bid to try and battle total club manager they have used watch match which only gives u 1 fing lag IF fifa can create realism and less lag also a quika engine to allow u 2 play a week in less than an hour then it MYTE compete with FM but si still hold the crown .... but 4 how long???..............(to b continued) XD!

Fifa Manager is not in the same League as FM, nor is CM which i think is 'closer' to FM in terms of competition.

Fifa need to get a grip. They are being kicked in the nuts with Pes and should spend a little less time getting Rooney to jump around in a onesie for 'Realism'.

Fm rocks. PES rocks. Fifa sucks.

Originally posted by Jens Lehmann:

fifas problem is tht u get no money and in a bid to try and battle total club manager they have used watch match which only gives u 1 fing lag IF fifa can create realism and less lag also a quika engine to allow u 2 play a week in less than an hour then it MYTE compete with FM but si still hold the crown .... but 4 how long???..............(to b continued) XD!

I actually struggled to read this 'sentence'

You could also be in a gay family which cool

no thanks icon_biggrin.gif

i would never substitute realism for pointless content. i wouldn't play FM if there were so many periferal features like Fifas. thats why i prefer PES over Fifa too.

Originally posted by goodzorr_avfc:

I actually struggled to read this 'sentence'

I read a few words and ignored the rest. If the writer can't be bothered to try and make it readable, I can't be bothered to try and read it.

As far as I see it, all this talk of "family life" and golf etc could be interesting for a little while, but would surely get in the way and become dull and tedious after any lengthy period of playing the game. (A bit like the constant repetition of media comments and team talks in FM2008 !)

My computer can't handle Fifa Manager. You wouldn't think a management game could be handled by most any computer, like FM can, might be slow, but can still handle it. Need like a dual core to play Fifa Manager which is quite sad.

Now the thing is that with FIFA manager it takes you outside of the world of just contining and saying the same old team talks every match it lets you explore the real managing experience from talking to players and saying things to them specifically on what you would like to say and having a family with children!

PES 2008 is not really good compared to FIFA 08 because once again FIFA adds realism to their games.

I haven't played FIFA manager, but having a wife and kids sounds stupid. Just proccesssing power wasted. If I wanted to buy a car, a house, having a wife in a game then I'd go and play the SIM's.

Games like PES (which has been poor this year imo) and FM focus on the core reason the game is bought: football. Not on some stupid gimmicky featues.

I rather like FIFA Manager. In fact, I liked it ever since the first version, back in '98 or so. It's the only manager game (aside from Anstoss, more than 10 years ago) that ever even remotely approached FM's greatness.

But it's not actually competition. FIFA Manager is a game first and foremost, and a manager sim a remote second. It's often more fun than FM, and has tons and tons of nice (if completely unnecessary for the specific task of managing a team) additions. But it has all the managerial depth of a piece of cardboard, at best it is a manager sim lite.

However, I absolutely love the fact that I can actually measure my success as a manager by being able to afford a sports car, or a private plane. It makes the game a whole lot more immersive than getting a completely irrelevant offer of 45000E p/w from Real Madrid in FM.

Football Manager remains the best football manager game, but FIFA Manager is no less entertaining to play... especially as nobody expects to play it for more than a few months, a year at most (until the next one comes along).

Originally posted by aston_martin:

Games like PES (which has been poor this year imo) and FM focus on the core reason the game is bought: football. Not on some stupid gimmicky featues.

I agree that PES was poor this year. However, it still takes a dump on Fifa 0X's game play. Although i do like the be one player in an AI team thing. It has some good features, but the actual playing on the pitch is crap.

You are living in the past if you think PES is far better than Fifa. PES have stood still for 4 years, Fifa have slowly moved forward, and last year lept in front ofPES. I bought PES, which is great, but FIFA is better.

I actually agree here. For the first time ever I enjoyed playing FIFA more than PES.

Can't put my finger on why, I just enjoyed the experience more.

This subject has been shot down so many times I can't believe it's still being debated.

In summary:

1) Fifa is inferior in every aspect to FM2008.

2) Super graphics are irrelevant and detract from the POINT of the FM/CM series. They would also become repetitive over long-term games and take up valuable RAM on anything with less than 4GB.

3) Golf, families, cars, bling... all of it is pointless and belong in games like Sims. Again, a distraction from the point of the game.

Aside from a handful of people on here who seem to think 3D match graphics will somehow enhance the match engine, it's pretty much unanimous that the Football Manager series will not follow Fifa. Yes, a facility such as the Optra stats would be nice, but it's copyrighted to someone else.

The end.

Originally posted by backpackant:

This subject has been shot down so many times I can't believe it's still being debated.

In summary:

1) Fifa is inferior in every aspect to FM2008.

2) Super graphics are irrelevant and detract from the POINT of the FM/CM series. They would also become repetitive over long-term games and take up valuable RAM on anything with less than 4GB.

3) Golf, families, cars, bling... all of it is pointless and belong in games like Sims. Again, a distraction from the point of the game.

Aside from a handful of people on here who seem to think 3D match graphics will somehow enhance the match engine, it's pretty much unanimous that the Football Manager series will not follow Fifa. Yes, a facility such as the Optra stats would be nice, but it's copyrighted to someone else.

The end.

Totally agree, but if Fifa took out those unessecary information and made the gameplay faster it would rwice the game as Football manager and to be honest everything Football manager has fifa has better

PES was a major flop this year

The only thing i miss about fifa manager ( i last played the 2nd version of it maybe 2000?? who knows,

But you used to be able to physically build the stadium and then other features like your traing [pitch, im probably remebering the fun through rose tinted glasses, but in 2030 with a good few billion in the bank i wouldnt mind being able to take control of the stadium bit, maybe i should just get a new team, but i always struggle to leave spurs.....

You are living in the past if you think PES is far better than Fifa. PES have stood still for 4 years, Fifa have slowly moved forward, and last year lept in front ofPES. I bought PES, which is great, but FIFA is better.

Blasphemy!!! lol

Realism is always more important that cosmetic features which is why FM is better than FIFA Manager

PES I reckon went backwards this year. All they needed to do was stick with the match engine of PES 5 tweak it a little and add a lot wrt master league/gameplay modes/ stadia etc. Instead they gave us a remake of FIFA 2000. Off the topic I know....

The only thing FIFA MAnager has which I would love to have in Football Manager is the youth system. The youth system is fantastic, I like having several youth teams of several ages and knowing from a young age who is good, and also having youth open days to find good new youth. But the best youth feature of all has to be having youth camps set up around the world.

Originally posted by phnompenhandy:

So what have we got here?

In the one corner, the most detailed and accurate database in history,

and in the other corner, marrying your boyfriend.

Hmm, close call - not! icon_rolleyes.gif

Exactly this post should tie up the thread...

Boyfriend all the way icon_biggrin.gif

gorr database, who needs that, rooney is good, anelka cant take penalties sorted icon_biggrin.gif

nah just joking football manager is better end of its much much nearer to the main aspect of the manager life the football, sven is living proof spend to much time with the family (or just random girls) you lose your job. Concentrate on the game!

and by the way asking thsi question on a football manager website is only ever going to get biased views

Originally posted by !.m.!:

and by the way asking thsi question on a football manager website is only ever going to get biased views

Yes we are going to get biased views but if all these people played FIFA manager im sure they would change thier opinion on FIFA

Anything to do with the anti-gamming company of EA does not deserve any place in any walk of life.

Down with EA. Buying up brilliant developers and forcing them to cease work on great long awaited titles.

FIFA should be banned throughout the world not only for being absolutly shocking but also for being a EA game..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by !.m.!:

Yes we are going to get biased views but if all these people played FIFA manager im sure they would change thier opinion on FIFA </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Downloaded the demo of Fifa Manager 2008 today for the first time, and it is no where near Football Manager. The whole "Private Life" thing is tedious as it is pointless. Learning knots and improving my handicap to make the "president" happy.

However there were some things, which would, if implemented correctly, improve FM. I personally like all the nonense of building a stadium and selling the naming rights, but that's just me. It makes a feel like a game rather than a simulator.

You choosing you're own targets for each competition, I thought, was a good feature. If you're targets are too low then the board will just reject, but if done just right make the board and fans happy. This could be extended to telling the board that a competition would be played by the youth team to give them experiance and so on.

I was impressed with how you negotiated contracts with the player having an issue with certain things there and then rather than a straight "No" a week later. It makes the process more interactive rather than altering numbers and signing-on fees.

I also liked, as said by someone else, the youth and scouting systems you can implement around the globe, along with the "youth days", "open days" and "youth competitions" used to scout new talent.

Finally, I think it has been suggested before, a player interaction box for things like "you'll be mainly a bench player this season, but next season you will be a first team regular" and so on. I think this would be a good addition if done correctly.

These things, I think, would improve Football Manager, if done correctly. However Fifa Manager as a whole is nowhere near as good as Football Manager. It is easier to use, has more depth and is simply a better game overall.

some of those features can be implimented into FM without comprimising the simulation aspect, but i would prefer if SI improved on what they have rather than add more "fun" with features that might lose my interest quickly.

Maybee a bit off topic, but the competition for FM will not come from other footballmanager games in the coming years, but from other totally different games imo.

I have been playing FM/CM for more than 10 yrs and now for the last 6 months I havent been playing FM anymore..., but LOTRO. Sad but true.

FM has not made much progress over the years, there where other games do for sure. These games that are not in the same league as FM, but do attract more and more gamers while progressing.

Originally posted by Mravac Kid:

I rather like FIFA Manager. In fact, I liked it ever since the first version, back in '98 or so. It's the only manager game (aside from Anstoss, more than 10 years ago) that ever even remotely approached FM's greatness.

But it's not actually competition. FIFA Manager is a game first and foremost, and a manager sim a remote second. It's often more fun than FM, and has tons and tons of nice (if completely unnecessary for the specific task of managing a team) additions. But it has all the managerial depth of a piece of cardboard, at best it is a manager sim lite.

However, I absolutely love the fact that I can actually measure my success as a manager by being able to afford a sports car, or a private plane. It makes the game a whole lot more immersive than getting a completely irrelevant offer of 45000E p/w from Real Madrid in FM.

Football Manager remains the best football manager game, but FIFA Manager is no less entertaining to play... especially as nobody expects to play it for more than a few months, a year at most (until the next one comes along).

Probably the best post in this thread tbh. Of course FM is the more in depth game, doesn't really change the fact that sometimes it's nice to take a break from the constant tactical tweaks needed in every game to go for something more light. These games aren't even in competition because they're so different. CM and Fifa Manager are literally just games, FM is a simulation.

PES rocks. Fifa sucks.

that is utterly and totally wrong mate, although fifa is slow at least it dont lag, an when u cross the ball it dont actually stop, plus what if you support a lower league team? fifa rocks mate so does fm but pes... pes dont, and wont till they get the license laws right icon_biggrin.gif

In terms of flashy stuff, FIFA Manager wins hands down. But when it comes down to the actual management of things, EA's flashy graphics team comes nowhere near SI's gem.

And isn't that what a football manager game is meant to be about - being a football manager?

Originally posted by sthptngomad76:

PES I reckon went backwards this year. All they needed to do was stick with the match engine of PES 5 tweak it a little and add a lot wrt master league/gameplay modes/ stadia etc. Instead they gave us a remake of FIFA 2000. Off the topic I know....

I agree with the comment re PES 5 - my favourite of the series by far. The new one is terrible - the players are too small and the ball is even smaller, swerves around everywhere and seems to weigh a ton half of the time and be as light as a balloon the other half. That's without even mentioning the keepers.

Still, i enjoyed it more than the new fifa, which for me was just diagonal pass. diagonal pass. diagonal pass. diagonal pass. beat a man. keeper fists it away - repeat until one goes in.

For years now SI have reapted the same steps over and over

New skin

Upgarding transfers

Player interaction

Talking to other managers

Hardly great changes throughout the series

FIFA 08 is a fantastic game. Much better than PES IMO.

Still, i enjoyed it more than the new fifa, which for me was just diagonal pass. diagonal pass. diagonal pass. diagonal pass. beat a man. keeper fists it away - repeat until one goes in.

You dont have to play like that. The only thing that PES has got (the new one) that the new FIFA hasn't got is keepers making errors. Only on one occasion have I seen a keeper make a mistake (as in dropping the ball).

For christmas I got some vouchers for Game from a friend and I managed to get WOW, Fifa Manager and Championship Manager for £20.

Championship Manager was really pants and I realised why FM really is the king of football management games/sims. Fifa Manager was aithout doubt one of the worse football management games I have ever had the misfortune to play. It was repulsive to look at, it was full of quirky nonsense that somehow detracted from the already pathetic game play.

I gave it to one of my mates who always forgets to give games back and even he gave it back to me within a couple of days.

Originally posted by ManU@oldtrafford:

CM I've just never like even when SI developed it icon_biggrin.gif

Essentially, FM IS the old CM but with a nice 2D match engine. Are you just won over by the 'fancy' graphics? icon_smile.gif

Archived