Can we PLEASE get rid of this!?!?

Let me start by stating that overall I am very pleased with FM 09, but one thing in particular annoys me to no end. When I try to sell a player who is obviously unhappy with his place on my team, it invariably says that the "player is set to stay after his recent arrival" and some other stuff about how the player is reluctant to leave. I could understand this if the player is happy or content with how I play him, etc. But when a player is whining about his playing time and you offer him a way out, he should be happy to go. In prior versions, I used to do a self-imposed 6-month moritorium on transferring a player out after he had been brought in. This new "feature" is pointless and poorly implemented and I hope the next patch either minimizes its occurrence or removes it altogether.

Well I had a player that wanted to leave, but he turned down every contract offer he got. There were some really big clubs that wanted him and he's not very well. So I had to irritate myself about him a little longer.

I know it's not your point, but I had to share.

A player doesn't necessarily want to leave if he's unhappy with a lack of games, that's jumping to conclusions. He may be unhappy, but happy to stay and fight for his place.

Jermaine Pennant. But think he just wants the money at Anfield rather than Portsmouth.

I can understand that. It says this up to a year after you acquire a player. And in my case where I've been promoted twice in three seasons (up to Championship with Lincoln), it is insane for teams to not table offers for good players that could help them, because I acquired them in the last year. If SI want to leave this in the game, then they should restrict the window down to 6 months. A year is too long to be saddled with an unhappy player that you can't sell - but who will be HAPPY to take mutual termination. It's madness.

I can understand that. It says this up to a year after you acquire a player. And in my case where I've been promoted twice in three seasons (up to Championship with Lincoln), it is insane for teams to not table offers for good players that could help them, because I acquired them in the last year. If SI want to leave this in the game, then they should restrict the window down to 6 months. A year is too long to be saddled with an unhappy player that you can't sell - but who will be HAPPY to take mutual termination. It's madness.

That's a different problem to your opening post though, or am I missing something? :confused:

i understand where you're coming from, i too have had this problem, mainly when managing in the lower leagues, but at the end of the day, you brought him in and if hes no good then it will teach you not to make the same mistakes again = ]

I know what you mean, IRL would clubs refuse to place a bid for an unhappy Robinho, just because he has only recently signed?

Is that not more to do with players not being allowed to move clubs twice in one season? That's a rule, so I don't see how they could get rid of it.

Is that not more to do with players not being allowed to move clubs twice in one season? That's a rule, so I don't see how they could get rid of it.

Ah, you could be right there wasn't sure about that rule. :thup:

The wording of the message is a bit misleading as it says clubs are reluctant to make a bid due to his recent arrival at the club rather than something like "Due to FA rulings players are not allowed to move clubs twice in one season".

That's the issue. If I acquire a player in the January transfer window, get promoted, and then try to sell the player in August of the new season, that is technically 2 different seasons and it still says this silly thing. And to the poster of the Robinho comment - exactly - what team wouldn't want him regardless of when he signed.

They could make it an optional feature when you start a new game.

If SI want to maintain their approach as a "simulation" then they cannot make real life rules optional. It's simply avoided by not buying players that you think you'll sell within a season, so it's up to us as managers rather than SI to avoid this feature.

That's the issue. If I acquire a player in the January transfer window, get promoted, and then try to sell the player in August of the new season, that is technically 2 different seasons and it still says this silly thing. And to the poster of the Robinho comment - exactly - what team wouldn't want him regardless of when he signed.

Again, this is completely different to the problem you raised in your opening post. Is the original problem no longer an issue? You should report this problem in the bugs forum, there have been many threads re player sales and said issues with player sales.

They could make it an optional feature when you start a new game.

Oh of course, and since there are there, why don't make optional also "keeper can touch the ball with hands only in the goal area" or keep transfer window open all season...:D

It's a football rule, it's not a feature. it should not be optional and I'm glad it's not.

That's the issue. If I acquire a player in the January transfer window, get promoted, and then try to sell the player in August of the new season, that is technically 2 different seasons and it still says this silly thing.

And technically, the player is a recent arrival and reacting accordingly.

If SI want to maintain their appraoch as a "simulation" then they cannot make real life rules optional. It's simply avoided by not buying players that you think you'll sell within a season, so it's up to us as managers rather than SI to avoid this feature.

Yeah, but I don't think this happens in real life. Guys can get sold within six months of being bought, can't they? And what about my example of a transfer that happens in January? Surely you can sell that player over the summer?

i thought it was they couldnt play for three clubs in one season, so as long as they dont play for the club before they move (say are transfered on July 1st) then they can move twice. i think.

Yeah, but I don't think this happens in real life. Guys can get sold within six months of being bought, can't they?

Nope, they are not allowed to make two transfers in one season.

Your January example is ok, because the player is making his second transfer in a separate season, but as I said, this has been raised many time before and the bugs/data issues forum will have more info.

The actual FIFA regulation governing the transfer of a player states that a player "may be registered with a maximum of three clubs during one season." Additionally, "during this period, the player is only eligible to play official matches for two clubs."

The above is quoted from the document titled "Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players", found on the official FIFA website.

Now I believe this new feature (getting the "player xxx set to stay after recent arrival" message) that SI included is to prevent human managers from exploiting the transfer system, namely through buying cheap or picking up free players in the summer transfer window and immediately off-loading them for a quick profit in that season's winter transfer window.

My personal stand is that I frown upon such behaviour. However, such dealings seem to be legal in the context of the actual FIFA transfer regulations, unless I am misinterpreting the regulations? Imagine this scenario below.

Player A moves from Club X to Club Y in July without playing a single competitive game this season for Club X. Come January, he moves to Club Z, for whom he should still be able to represent in competitive fixtures since Club Z would only be the second club he is playing official matches for.

FM 2009 does not allow for this scenario however. Since no matter how unsettled Player A may be, when the human manager tries to offload him and offer him out to other clubs (even on a free), all he will get is that ""player A set to stay after recent arrival" message in the inbox.

Moreover, even if this new feature were to supposedly prevent the transfer exploit described above, why should the human manager not be able to attempt to broker a transfer deal after the winter transfer window has passed? The actual date of transfer will be in the following season's summer transfer window, so the whole "three clubs in one season" point is moot anyway.

If this feature is to be deemed a necessary evil and SI's stand is to not remove it, I definitely would still like to see it curtailed to just being in place from a season's summer transfer window to the last day of the winter transfer window. Immediately after the winter transfer window, we should be able to start negotiations with other clubs to come in and buy such players at the end of the season.

Nope, they are not allowed to make two transfers in one season.

Your January example is ok, because the player is making his second transfer in a separate season, but as I said, this has been raised many time before and the bugs/data issues forum will have more info.

is it league season or calander year. With defoe for example they had to get special permission for him to go back to spurs because it was in the same calaner year (january to january). That would explain why 'in game' the january to july thing is a problem.

The actual FIFA regulation governing the transfer of a player states that a player "may be registered with a maximum of three clubs during one season." Additionally, "during this period, the player is only eligible to play official matches for two clubs."

The above is quoted from the document titled "Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players", found on the official FIFA website.

Now I believe this new feature (getting the "player xxx set to stay after recent arrival" message) that SI included is to prevent human managers from exploiting the transfer system, namely through buying cheap or picking up free players in the summer transfer window and immediately off-loading them for a quick profit in that season's winter transfer window.

My personal stand is that I frown upon such behaviour. However, such dealings seem to be legal in the context of the actual FIFA transfer regulations, unless I am misinterpreting the regulations? Imagine this scenario below.

Player A moves from Club X to Club Y in July without playing a single competitive game this season for Club X. Come January, he moves to Club Z, for whom he should still be able to represent in competitive fixtures since Club Z would only be the second club he is playing official matches for.

FM 2009 does not allow for this scenario however. Since no matter how unsettled Player A may be, when the human manager tries to offload him and offer him out to other clubs (even on a free), all he will get is that ""player A set to stay after recent arrival" message in the inbox.

Moreover, even if this new feature were to supposedly prevent the transfer exploit described above, why should the human manager not be able to attempt to broker a transfer deal after the winter transfer window has passed? The actual date of transfer will be in the following season's summer transfer window, so the whole "three clubs in one season" point is moot anyway.

If this feature is to be deemed a necessary evil and SI's stand is to not remove it, I definitely would still like to see it curtailed to just being in place from a season's summer transfer window to the last day of the winter transfer window. Immediately after the winter transfer window, we should be able to start negotiations with other clubs to come in and buy such players at the end of the season.

And is this not to do with loans to teams etc.

Its even worse when they ask to be transfer listed, offer to clubs and they say they don't want to move due to just arriving at club. I didn,t even want to sell them in the first place as they were back ups but all they do is moan, moan moan.

I agree. This is the one that irks me the most. They ask to leave, you are willing to accomodate them and they won't go. Silly.

Just for the record - as I stated in my initial post - I already had a self-imposed 6-month restriction on doing this for myself, but I can see why SI would implement it.

Hmm, what do you mean by that?

Well i am just guessing but if my thing about defoe and calander year is correct then a player being regeister for no more than 3 teams per season would mean that if frazier cambell leaves spurs and then goes on loan to hull (example) then he would not be able to move to any other clubs on loan that season as that would be his 3 i.e. manchester united, spurs and hull...he would not be able to move to anywhere else.

It drives me up the wall when you sign a regen, offer to loan him to clubs, but no-one bids because of "his reluctance to leave following his recent arrival". It's okay if you have a decent affiliate club, but i'd rather that the player goes to a team in the same league.

Oh of course, and since there are there, why don't make optional also "keeper can touch the ball with hands only in the goal area" or keep transfer window open all season...:D

It's a football rule, it's not a feature. it should not be optional and I'm glad it's not.

It isnt a football rule. Its a business rule that may or may not even be legal depending upon the country.

It isnt a football rule. Its a business rule that may or may not even be legal depending upon the country.

Nevertheless it's a rule and as such should remain in the game. Going down the route of making real rules optional will only lead to ridiculous requests in the future. It's not particularly hard to avoid, unless you are wanting to exploit the transfer system and I don't see why transfer system exploitation is just cause for features being removed or made optional.

It drives me up the wall when you sign a regen, offer to loan him to clubs, but no-one bids because of "his reluctance to leave following his recent arrival". It's okay if you have a decent affiliate club, but i'd rather that the player goes to a team in the same league.

Yes, I've just tried to loan out a couple of youngsters and got "his reluctance to leave following his recent arrival" so it must mean the FIFA regulation of "during this period, the player is only eligible to play official matches for two clubs", applys to loans also.

Well i am just guessing but if my thing about defoe and calander year is correct then a player being regeister for no more than 3 teams per season would mean that if frazier cambell leaves spurs and then goes on loan to hull (example) then he would not be able to move to any other clubs on loan that season as that would be his 3 i.e. manchester united, spurs and hull...he would not be able to move to anywhere else.

I believe that would be correct yeah. Frazier Campbell's loan is season-long by the way right? However let us assume that it expired on the 2nd of January. Technically speaking, if another club comes along and decides to place a bid for him, he should be allowed to move in this winter window according to FIFA rules. If this scenario were ingame, it would also go through since this new feature being discussed in this thread only applies to new arrivals in the current season.

Regarding the rule on a maximum of three clubs registered under with in one season, the 'one season' refers to a league season and not a calendar year. How it applies to Defoe seems to be that by moving to Spurs this January, he would essentially be playing for three clubs this season (Spurs, Pompey, Spurs) if the rule is applied to the letter of the law. I would assume the transfer went through successfully because two of those three clubs happen to be the same club, so it can be argued that Defoe would still only be playing official matches for two different clubs this entire season, Pompey and Spurs.

Nevertheless it's a rule and as such should remain in the game. Going down the route of making real rules optional will only lead to ridiculous requests in the future. It's not particularly hard to avoid, unless you are wanting to exploit the transfer system and I don't see why transfer system exploitation is just cause for features being removed or made optional.

Did I misinterpret the transfer regulations then? The part where it states that a player "may be registered with a maximum of three clubs during one season." Additionally, "during this period, the player is only eligible to play official matches for two clubs."

To me that seems to indicate that in the real world, FIFA would tolerate a player moving in both transfer windows of one season, so long as he did not play in any official matches for the club he moved from in the summer window.

Am I missing something? :(

Yes, I've just tried to loan out a couple of youngsters and got "his reluctance to leave following his recent arrival" so it must mean the FIFA regulation of "during this period, the player is only eligible to play official matches for two clubs", applys to loans also.

But if you sign him in the summer window and he hasn't played for you yet, he hasn't played for one team, so technically if you don't play him then you should be able to loan him out twice to two separate clubs, based on earlier posts.

To me that seems to indicate that in the real world, FIFA would tolerate a player moving in both transfer windows of one season, so long as he did not play in any official matches for the club he moved from in the summer window.

Am I missing something? :(

Indeed, you're missing me talking about players who have played, rather than players who have never played. I thought it was safe to assume that the players in question have all played at least a game for the club. Also a lot of the discussion in this thread is about players signed in the summer and sold in January, in which case they will have been at 3 clubs.

But if you sign him in the summer window and he hasn't played for you yet, he hasn't played for one team, so technically if you don't play him then you should be able to loan him out twice to two separate clubs, based on earlier posts.

Exactly what I am thinking yeah. If he did not play for the club he transferred out of to join you, that would mean you are the first club this player has played for in this season. So moving to another club on loan would seem perfectly legal since that would only be the second club he would play official matches for this season.

instead of having this restriction to stop human players getting free transfers then selling them, why not have an extra stat in your manager profile (this should only affect human players), where if you buy/sell players frequently or often, it decreases a hidden value which impacts the chances of a player wanting to sign for you, and the opposite works too, if you are loyal to a player and keep him around, your "loyalty" stat goes up etc.

edit: or decreases your club/manager rep, who wants to sign for a club/manager where you're there just to make a profit. this might have a negative impact with lower league players though?

Indeed, you're missing me talking about players who have played, rather than players who have never played. I thought it was safe to assume that the players in question have all played at least a game for the club. Also a lot of the discussion in this thread is about players signed in the summer and sold in January, in which case they will have been at 3 clubs.

The point though, is the actual FIFA regulations allow for players to be registered with three clubs in one season, so long as he only plays official matches for two out of those three no?

So those players in question having played at least one game for your club, should still be allowed to move on from your club in the winter window as long as they did not play in any official matches for the original club they transferred out of during the previous summer window.

Again my example to illustrate this point:

Or did I miss out on some other regulation which limits the movement of a player in both transfer windows of one season?

I'm not trying to exploit the transfer system. What I'm saying is that I am being prevented from selling a player a FULL YEAR after signing him - in different seasons, ffs.

I'm sharing with you my view on this matter:

I created a post one month ago asking about this subject and I got no answer. The question I'm talking is if there is a rough or certain amount of time (created by SI) where you cannot sell a player. I did a test yesterday in my save game and this is what happened: In the first week of April (2009) I clicked the option "offer to clubs" to one player (call him player X) who I signed in August of that season (2008-09), the message I got was "player is set to stay after his recent arrival". I did that deliberately because 4 players of my squad (all signed in August 2008) were attracting the interest of a few clubs and I knew that player (player X) will do the same sooner or later. Well, 2 weeks (April's thrid week) after I got the icon "Wnt" close to the player's name. Then I offered him to clubs and I did not get that "player is set to stay after his recent arrival".

I knew that player was capable to play in a higher level (I'm playing in Blue Square Premier) and he attracted the interest of Birmingham City (Division One) but this is not the issue. The issue here is that no matter how good your player is, the game determines if it is time to sell him or not. I've got the conclussion that SI has created a code for this for the very first time in FM 09. I mean, it's not logical a player wants to stay after his recent arrival and two weeks after he does not... Birmingham City wanted my player on that moment because the game said that and 2 weeks before they did not wanted my player. And guess what, two days after not only Birmingham City wanted my player, Fulham, Derby, Wolves and Colchester did so. It's important to say that the player (Player X) did not perform awesome during those 2 weeks to attract interest from club from out of nothing, indeed he had average games (6.7 and 6.5 ratings).

From the first time I saw this feature in the game I thougth: SI has created it to prevent or block those gamers who exploit the transfer system. I mean, they buy lot of free players at the start and they sell them the day after. That's not logical not real either.

But in my honest opinion SI did a wrong step there. Why? If someone wants to cheat or exploit the transfer system they can use one tool that SI gave to us like the editor. They (gamers) give to themselves 20.000.000 pounds in the editor and there you go, you start the game with a massive and unreal bank account.

At the end of the day we (gamers) play the game as we want. Some will cheat (minority) and some will play honestly: I bet the vast majority of this community plays the game as the original set up that SI give to us and from it we try to get success.

You cannot be penalized if you are very quick on the transfer market and you buy an excellent player and the game forces you to have the player for a determined amount of time. Of course the game should be as real as possible so if FIFA states in their rules that a player cannot play in more than 2 clubs per season --> Implement that feature in the game BUT not in this way.

Other matter is if you buy an excellent player and he refuses to move to another club just because he expects a higher wage --> I agree with that, it's logical. But, come on if you buy an excellent player (capable to play at higher level based on his current ability, potential ability and current rating) he will attract interest from better clubs than yours. As i said, you should get offers from him and it will depend of him (not on a SI code) if he wants to move or not. But in reality if you offer him there is a code that block that interest. Once you reach a determined time, from out of nothing that player NOW is interesting and attractive... Unreal.

I have to say that I've playing this game since 1995 BUT this does not give me more rights compared with someone who has just played his very first FM game yesterday, indeed we (both) are allowed to express our minds here. But from my experience, this FM 09 is very very addictive. It could be one of the most addictive games from the FM / CM (in the past) saga. This game keeps you thinking about it when you are driving, when you are on the bus, ... and when that thing happens there is a big addiction. That 3D feature is absolutely awesome apart from other things. Brilliant game so far once you get your tactics right, and your transfers right ... etc.

Those things lead me to suggest (very humble opinion) to SI (I hope someone from SI could read this post) to spend more time improving the 3D engine (players movement', i.e.) to make it more realistic because us (gamers) will appreciate very much. In my case (I think it reflects majority's opinion) I spend 60-70% of my FM time on matches (I watch them on extended) and I really enjoy this 3D feature. Now you can really see what happens with your tactics and players on the pitch (it cames to my mind right now that you can see also the height's difference between players for example) instead when we had the "only commentary bar" in the past or the 2D (players were dots) the last years.

I'm sorry if someone finds this post very long or if the original poster (senorcoo) thinks that I've been out of his topic.

P.S.: So far I only have 3 medium - big concerns about FM 09:

1. This "player is set to stay after his recent arrival" code.

2. When the game freezes on Windows Vista (on "setting up match" screen just in the match, or in the club information (when it reads the kits?? maybe)

3. The Attacking Midfielder low rating.

I'm sharing with you my view on this matter:

I created a post one month ago asking about this subject and I got no answer. The question I'm talking is if there is a rough or certain amount of time (created by SI) where you cannot sell a player. I did a test yesterday in my save game and this is what happened: In the first week of April (2009) I clicked the option "offer to clubs" to one player (call him player X) who I signed in August of that season (2008-09), the message I got was "player is set to stay after his recent arrival". I did that deliberately because 4 players of my squad (all signed in August 2008) were attracting the interest of a few clubs and I knew that player (player X) will do the same sooner or later. Well, 2 weeks (April's thrid week) after I got the icon "Wnt" close to the player's name. Then I offered him to clubs and I did not get that "player is set to stay after his recent arrival".

I knew that player was capable to play in a higher level (I'm playing in Blue Square Premier) and he attracted the interest of Birmingham City (Division One) but this is not the issue. The issue here is that no matter how good your player is, the game determines if it is time to sell him or not. I've got the conclussion that SI has created a code for this for the very first time in FM 09. I mean, it's not logical a player wants to stay after his recent arrival and two weeks after he does not... Birmingham City wanted my player on that moment because the game said that and 2 weeks before they did not wanted my player. And guess what, two days after not only Birmingham City wanted my player, Fulham, Derby, Wolves and Colchester did so. It's important to say that the player (Player X) did not perform awesome during those 2 weeks to attract interest from club from out of nothing, indeed he had average games (6.7 and 6.5 ratings).

From the first time I saw this feature in the game I thougth: SI has created it to prevent or block those gamers who exploit the transfer system. I mean, they buy lot of free players at the start and they sell them the day after. That's not logical not real either.

But in my honest opinion SI did a wrong step there. Why? If someone wants to cheat or exploit the transfer system they can use one tool that SI gave to us like the editor. They (gamers) give to themselves 20.000.000 pounds in the editor and there you go, you start the game with a massive and unreal bank account.

At the end of the day we (gamers) play the game as we want. Some will cheat (minority) and some will play honestly: I bet the vast majority of this community plays the game as the original set up that SI give to us and from it we try to get success.

You cannot be penalized if you are very quick on the transfer market and you buy an excellent player and the game forces you to have the player for a determined amount of time. Of course the game should be as real as possible so if FIFA states in their rules that a player cannot play in more than 2 clubs per season --> Implement that feature in the game BUT not in this way.

Other matter is if you buy an excellent player and he refuses to move to another club just because he expects a higher wage --> I agree with that, it's logical. But, come on if you buy an excellent player (capable to play at higher level based on his current ability, potential ability and current rating) he will attract interest from better clubs than yours. As i said, you should get offers from him and it will depend of him (not on a SI code) if he wants to move or not. But in reality if you offer him there is a code that block that interest. Once you reach a determined time, from out of nothing that player NOW is interesting and attractive... Unreal.

I have to say that I've playing this game since 1995 BUT this does not give me more rights compared with someone who has just played his very first FM game yesterday, indeed we (both) are allowed to express our minds here. But from my experience, this FM 09 is very very addictive. It could be one of the most addictive games from the FM / CM (in the past) saga. This game keeps you thinking about it when you are driving, when you are on the bus, ... and when that thing happens there is a big addiction. That 3D feature is absolutely awesome apart from other things. Brilliant game so far once you get your tactics right, and your transfers right ... etc.

Those things lead me to suggest (very humble opinion) to SI (I hope someone from SI could read this post) to spend more time improving the 3D engine (players movement', i.e.) to make it more realistic because us (gamers) will appreciate very much. In my case (I think it reflects majority's opinion) I spend 60-70% of my FM time on matches (I watch them on extended) and I really enjoy this 3D feature. Now you can really see what happens with your tactics and players on the pitch (it cames to my mind right now that you can see also the height's difference between players for example) instead when we had the "only commentary bar" in the past or the 2D (players were dots) the last years.

I'm sorry if someone finds this post very long or if the original poster (senorcoo) thinks that I've been out of his topic.

P.S.: So far I only have 3 medium - big concerns about FM 09:

1. This "player is set to stay after his recent arrival" code.

2. When the game freezes on Windows Vista (on "setting up match" screen just in the match, or in the club information (when it reads the kits?? maybe)

3. The Attacking Midfielder low rating.

No worries. I agree with you. Why should SI care if people "cheat" or not. I would never exploit the transfer system in this way, but so what if someone who plopped down their hard-earned 25 pounds wants to? I'd like to add one other thing SI should work on - the silly press conferences and team talks. I know I am not alone in saying that I have delegated these lame tasks to my AssMan. The press conferences require you to give the "right" answer and we all know there is no right answer. The team talks have too few options that are vague in what they are meant to accomplish. I mean, do you know how many different ways there are to wish someone luck - hopefully, sarcastically, sincerely. Silly, silly, silly.

I'm not trying to exploit the transfer system. What I'm saying is that I am being prevented from selling a player a FULL YEAR after signing him - in different seasons, ffs.

Sorry, I must have got confused when you changed tact after having your OP proved wrong.

Archived