Goalkeepers NEVER save penalties?

Isn't it a bit strange? Has anyone else noticed that too, they only save penalties when someone shoots straight at them, i've been to numerous penalty shootouts and only once i've seen a goalie save a pen. So, whenever my game goes to pens both teams always score between 5-8 times, which of course happens in real life too but not every bloody time.

also, i don't know is it a bug or something, but when looking at keepers attributes, theres 'penalty taking', which is always below 5 regardless of the goalkeeper. Now i assume, given the name of the attribute and how good the keepers are at it, that it refers to actually shooting penalties, but perhaps si have made an mistake, and it actually determines how good they are at saving them, subsequently leaving all goalkeepers in the game (minus one or two exceptions, like the german butt and brazilian ceni) uncapable of saving pens?

And if not, if it is indeed correct and it does determine how well they shoot pens, then my question is then why does such an attribute exist for goalies, when there's no penalty saving attribute (at least not an visible one)??? And why is it under 'goalie attributes' then, shooting penalties has nothing to do with goalkeeping!!!

Carlos Kameni is a demon for saving pens. Hes my second choice keeper behind Akinfeev, but i have on occasion substituted him on late in games that are level and looking like heading into penalty shootouts. Keepers with good reflex stats tend to be good at saving pens imo

To answer the OP though, has he ever actually dived to his side to save it?

Regardless I'd assume it's just a visualisation issue rather than anyhting more technical. If the match engine calculates a save then the 3D most likely shows a tame shot down the middle blocked away or caught by the keeper, when in real life a penalty save could be the result of an almost infinite array of shots and movements by the keeper

I have seen goalkeepers save penalties, both in matches and in shootouts, and for both my team and the opposition. And I had a goalkeeper with quite decent a penalty taking attribute, and he was above some of my outfield players in the penalty-taking list before a shootout

Can confirm, goalkeepers do save plenty of penalties ..

Reflexes? Agility? Anticipation?

Plus, it's very difficult to blame goalkeepers for not saving penalties, a lot of it is down to luck. Especially on a game!

However, the weird thing i noticed is that most of the saved penalties are when they are hit straight at my keeper and he didn't move! :p

Think its just a poor representation on the 3D view.

Keepers do save penalties but on the 3D it seems to mainly shown as saves straight down the middle of the goal.

I have seen a few either side, but they seem to be rare.

I just took Clyde to the Scottish cup final against Dundee Utd. It finished 1-1 and went to penalties.

While the Utd keeper (Zaluska) was diving all over the place like a superhuman mad thing, my keeper (Cherrie) just stood like a statue for all 5 penalties (although neither keeper actually saved any, the only miss was my first taker who hit the bar).

The odd thing is I remember at least three occasions during the season when Cherrie saved penalties by diving to the side.

Archived