What is up with the European Cup final's stadiums?

Are the stadiums in which the Champions League and UEFA Cup Finals are played in picked at random? I'm in 2012 and the CL final between Arsenal and Barcelona was played at Malmo Stadium, capacity 29,000. That's hardly a good second division attendance! Even better, the UEFA final between Porto and Juventus was held at Dundalk's Oriel Park, Ireland. Capacity? A whopping 11,000!

Anybody else have any good examples?

yes, it's essentially random

it's better than previous years, where I *think* they just cycled through a list of stadiums - now there is more variety. but the problem is, now you have CL finals at stadia that aren't 4 or 5 star stadia (one of the requirements for a 5 star stadium, i.e. Champions League, is to have 50,000 capacity).

I thought they said it picks the country at random but the stadium is based on reputation/capacity in relation to that country. Also doesn't allow the same stadium twice in [x] years. Not sure if there are better stadiums in the example countries from above, though.

well there are better stadiums in ireland then oriel park, like richmond park,talka park and dalymount park. but none of them are even capable of holding a champions league match let alone a final.

First of all none of these stadiums in ireland are all seating staduims (which is required by fifa) half of the capacity is from terrace's and stands.

and the quality of ireland staduims and pitches are good but no where near good enough

Leave SI's insane quality control alone. They are going to fix the name for 09. It will be called "The World of Football, according to a bunch of nerds who have never played it".

That way, people wont complain so much about thier idiotic mistakes. icon14.gif Snow in Australia in January indeed. Playing this game makes me very very glad I spent five years doing a masters in applied economics. I mean, I thought my job was difficult. SI's must be impossible. Seems that way sometimes.

Snow in Australia in January indeed./QUOTE]

hehe, reminds me of Marcelo Balboa's quote during the WC2006: "The players will have to deal with the South African heat during the 2010 World Cup". right, except it's winter in July and the average temperature in Johannesburg, for instance, ranges from 4 to 17 degrees Celsius during that time period :p

Originally posted by 4-2-4 ouch!:

Leave SI's insane quality control alone. They are going to fix the name for 09. It will be called "The World of Football, according to a bunch of nerds who have never played it".

That way, people wont complain so much about thier idiotic mistakes. icon14.gif Snow in Australia in January indeed. Playing this game makes me very very glad I spent five years doing a masters in applied economics. I mean, I thought my job was difficult. SI's must be impossible. Seems that way sometimes.

I'm not complaining, I just found it funny. I'm pleased that you enjoy this game so much more than I ever possibly could.

Archived