FMH vs FM PC

Yes, it's the big local derby in football management. FMH vs FM PC.

Some might argue that you can’t directly compare the PC game to the PSP game. But I would argue that since the main aim of both games is to provide as satisfactory a football manager experience as possible then they can be compared. The PC game might have more depth but does that depth and the tinkering that has to go with it spoil the game for some people. The PSP gives a lighter experience but is it too lightweight. IS there enough there to build up the passion.

My personal opinion is that the PSP version doesn’t seem to have quite enough in it to give a full immersive experience. But the next generation of handhelds might allow for that and should be powerful enough to allow many people to do away with the PC version altogether. Opinions?

Yes, it's the big local derby in football management. FMH vs FM PC.

Some might argue that you can’t directly compare the PC game to the PSP game. But I would argue that since the main aim of both games is to provide as satisfactory a football manager experience as possible then they can be compared. The PC game might have more depth but does that depth and the tinkering that has to go with it spoil the game for some people. The PSP gives a lighter experience but is it too lightweight. IS there enough there to build up the passion.

My personal opinion is that the PSP version doesn’t seem to have quite enough in it to give a full immersive experience. But the next generation of handhelds might allow for that and should be powerful enough to allow many people to do away with the PC version altogether. Opinions?

never really played PC version but looking to get both 08 versions soon. I did play champ man on xbox and thought that was great but prefer psp version.

PC version has got a lot to live up to if is to beat the handheld version.

I played the PC version ever since it first came out in the early 90's but basically got tired of it. It seemed less and less friendly to the user and the difference between success and failure usually all hinged on how "good" your tactic was. And making a good tactic didn't really have much to do with knowledge of the game, but more to do with trying out every single possible combination until you came up with something good. And then each version came with more and more tactical options, so there were more and more different ways to set things up. I have a life. I don't have the time or inclination to figure all this out using trial and error. So really it would come down to waiting for someone with too much time on their hands to figure out a great tactic and training schedule, then I'd download that and use it, and then wouldn't really get the best satisfaction out of succeeding. I did once design a tactic myself (back when I had more time on my hands) and I never found another tactic anywhere that worked as well and I felt a great sense of pride. But now it's all just a little too much like hard work.

This is all being a little unkind but it's just how it felt to me. I think SI have worked on improving these things. Also, I feel for SI, because who do they choose to cater to? The person with not much time who wants to set up their own tactics and do well? People with no real knowledge of the game who want to pick up FM and start playing right away? Or the FM junkie who will play for hours every day and figure everything out? If you make it easier for new players then the hardcore fans will say it's boring. And vice versa, if you make the AI learn how to counter what you do, then it's all pretty tough for the part-time player.

I think all said and done, FM do a great job. I've probably spent more time in my life playing FM on PC than any other game so that says a lot. But I got a little burnt out on it and for me right now, FM Handheld is perfect. Sorry for the long post!

For me while both games are football management games they are in fact very different.

PC. A lot more in depth than the PSP. For me this both the problem and the beauty of the game. Its a problem as you cant play one season on a Saturday anymore as the game is too slow. But when you do get it right it's a very rewarding game. I am only the last 3 months getting in to FM07 properly. Oh and one big downside I find of FM on the PC is that is nearly always means that I need a new PC as I get so annoyed by the slow speed.

PSP. Its the exact opposite of the PC. Its quick is fun. I can easily do one whole season on one saturday. I don't need to buy new hardware to play the game to the full potential of the game. It's also portable so I was able to play it for 3 hours on the plane to India(where I am now) Got an hour commute to work every morning. No problem I can play it there.

I will be interested to try FM on the Xbox 360 thou. I am yet to try them.

One tip I will always give to people is don't rush out and buy the new version. Set your self on more challenge on the game and then buy the new version. I will let every one bug test the new game for me. This is espiscally important on the PC where the game never comes perfect straight out of the box.

Well now I've got FM PC, the problme of time consumption has risen its ugly ahead again. Took me a couple of hours to go from game start to my first friendly. In FMH, I'd be well into a season by now.

fmh07 was the first fm i have played on psp, and it was fnatastic, i am still playing it and loving it!!!!

i have played fm (pc) for numerous years, last year i had both fmh and fm.

I would have to say FMH was better, i preffered the database, the simplicity and its overall game play

i was addicted to cm2 97/98 to the point i still played it up until last xmas - the later pc versions were just too "draggy" for me for want of a better word.

then i got fmh 2007 for xmas and i've never looked back - many thanks to SI for finally making a current manager game that has that same addiction factor that the old cm2 game did!

I think that both games offer different alterntatives. I have always been a PC man however find myself now sitting A levels and havig less time and effort to perform more than one season on the PC. However the PSP version is a pick up and play and I can find myself getting through 3-4 seasons a week which is a good thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally find the PC game simply too unwieldy. It took me forever to get anywhere in it (05 or 06 was the last version I played) and even then I felt I was missing out on a lot of details.

I love the Handheld game, in comparison, although I agree with the initial poster that it could do with just a LITTLE bit more detail to increase the 'immersiveness'

However, I do have one question to loads of you. How the hell do you play an entire season of FMH in a day, or 3-4 seasons a week??

Do you not 'watch' the games at all?

I watch the game at 'very slow' speed (and still wish it was a touch slower), and frequently pause it. This is because I like to pay attention to the commentary detauls, look at my players' stats, the match stats, the opposition players' stats, the action zones etc to try and build a picture in my mind of what is actually happening/going right or wrong in the match.

I agree completely. The PC version are good but there maybe too in depth. The great thing about FMH is you can just pick up and play. Even the first time you play it, it only takes a few days to totally get to grips with it whereas the PC version can take ages. But the fact you can take it anywhere with you i think makes it better. Im not against the PC version as like many of you i used to play them well before anyone had heard of a psp! But to me the psp is made for FM theres just nothing that touches it! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I also like the PSP version better than the pc version, but that has to do with a lack of free time :-)

The only thing that I really miss in the PSP version is that it is not possible to see the hidden stats of a player (ability, possible ability,...- yes, I know, it's cheating...-) like you can using scouting software for the pc-version. Or do any of you guys happen to know a way around that?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lowlife70:

However, I do have one question to loads of you. How the hell do you play an entire season of FMH in a day, or 3-4 seasons a week??

Do you not 'watch' the games at all?

I watch the game at 'very slow' speed (and still wish it was a touch slower), and frequently pause it. This is because I like to pay attention to the commentary detauls, look at my players' stats, the match stats, the opposition players' stats, the action zones etc to try and build a picture in my mind of what is actually happening/going right or wrong in the match. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In short the highlights/ commentary pace settings in FMH07 are duff so many of us play matches on Fast or Very Fast because we don't want the excessive commentary (one or two lines for each minute, every minute) that you get if you play the game on normal match pace or slower.

I stated many times that I wanted the same amount of match highlights which the game shows on Fast speed added to the more readable commentary pace of slow. Hopefully this works better on FMH08.

In short the highlights/ commentary pace settings in FMH07 are duff so many of us play matches on Fast or Very Fast because we don't want the excessive commentary (one or two lines for each minute, every minute) that you get if you play the game on normal match pace or slower.

I stated many times that I wanted the same amount of match highlights which the game shows on Fast speed added to the more readable commentary pace of slow. Hopefully this works better on FMH08.

I was going to post exactly that myself. There should be an option to have slower text speed but you should also be able to choose to have less match highlights, so you can read everything that happens but the match doesn't go on for ages. I wish there would be in FMH 08 (surely it would be simple to do) but unfortunately I bet there isn't. It's the single biggest thing that annoys me about FMH 07 as I end up having fast text and missing just about everything that's going on.

• SI Staff

With regards to the amount of commentary on 'slow' - I'll see whether we can put in a preferences options to retain the same amount of commentary regardless of speed for the next version (ie. FMH09).

Sorry you're correct its not in 08, to be honest I hadn't heard that request before.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rubinja:

I also like the PSP version better than the pc version, but that has to do with a lack of free time :-)

The only thing that I really miss in the PSP version is that it is not possible to see the hidden stats of a player (ability, possible ability,...- yes, I know, it's cheating...-) like you can using scouting software for the pc-version. Or do any of you guys happen to know a way around that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

(lecture)

You shouldn't cheat.

(end lecture)

If you really really must - you could always download the PSP editor, that shows current and potential abilities.

Aha.. I didn't realise that the faster speeds gave less commentary, I just assumed they whizzed it all past you so fast that you couldn't possible read it, like the credits on an American TV show.

The option for a faster game, but the commentary still being low enough to read, would be perfect. Add my vote for this as a HUGELY desirable feature. It takes me 45 mins or more to play one match at present because I am simply not prepared to let the text go too fast to take it in.

Aha.. I didn't realise that the faster speeds gave less commentary, I just assumed they whizzed it all past you so fast that you couldn't possible read it, like the credits on an American TV show.

The option for a faster game, but the commentary still being low enough to read, would be perfect. Add my vote for this as a HUGELY desirable feature. It takes me 45 mins or more to play one match at present because I am simply not prepared to let the text go too fast to take it in.

Archived