New Computer

To start off with, a Dual-Core or Quad-Core. And the faster their processors the better. Anything 2.66 Ghz or above is good. And 2 GB of RAM.

That's what I'd call a "safe minimum" to get the most out of FM. You could probably cope even you had a little less.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've realized I didn't need 3 GB, but it's there for the future. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So do you think 4gb is too much then because I have just installed an extra 2gb an hour ago!

Guest mrmiagy

Hi Guys

I am a computer technician by profession, i reccomend shopping around before you goto PC World, there are alot of great deals out there.

As for the specs with FM2008, i have a Toshiba Laptop with an AMD Turion dual core processor and 2gb ram, when FM loads up and i select reccomended setup it says i can only play 2 leagues???? , ofcourse i didnt buy that, so i loaded all the european leagues and the game runs great, word of advice there is to not believe what the recommended setup says.

Cheers

Rob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">word of advice there is to not believe what the recommended setup says. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I couldn't agree more with you. Like I said above I've now got 4GB and I loaded up fm and hit the recommended setup and it said I should only run 10 leagues! Hell I was running 25 leagues with just 2gb previously. The recommended setup feature really needs looked at and fixed for FM2009.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mrmiagy:

Hi Guys

I am a computer technician by profession, i reccomend shopping around before you goto PC World, there are alot of great deals out there.

As for the specs with FM2008, i have a Toshiba Laptop with an AMD Turion dual core processor and 2gb ram, when FM loads up and i select reccomended setup it says i can only play 2 leagues???? , ofcourse i didnt buy that, so i loaded all the european leagues and the game runs great, word of advice there is to not believe what the recommended setup says.

Cheers

Rob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point mate. I'm running over seventy leagues no problem, and the recommendation was just 5 or 6 lol.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by trekman:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've realized I didn't need 3 GB, but it's there for the future. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So do you think 4gb is too much then because I have just installed an extra 2gb an hour ago! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah. Did you install that extra RAM because you wanted better performance for FM? If so, it may just be down to the processing speed in your case because I've never hit 2 GB's use (looking at Task Manager) with FM. Anyway, the more RAM the better I think.

The other point to notice with 4gb of RAM is that unless your using the 64 bit version of Vista, that last gig or so is worthless right now.

Vista can only handle 4gb worth of memory, and seeing as most graphics cards take up about 512MB, that only leaves 3.5gb for RAM. So vista uses 3 out the 4 sticks.

Graphics cards use there own memory. 4GB is overkill for FM. 2GB should be perfect.

For £650 you could easily buy the parts yourself and build it for much cheaper than buying, especially from PC World.

For that price you could get a good 2.4GHz Quad Core, 2GB of RAM easily.

I'd recommend buying from anywhere else but PC World. Here is a pretty good site, they build to your specifications. For £650, you'd be able to get a ridiculously good PC. They deliver to your house too.

Look at Intel's Q6600/Q9300, E8400/E8500 & 2GB RAM as a good starting point.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tranmeremad:

I always use http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/ these myself </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Novatech do a very good range of PC's & have excellent technical support, even though it's rarely used. The guys get a bit bored sometimes...

Archived