If I was in the wrong, I wouldn't mind receiving a warning!

Just played Portsmouth at Fratton Park.

We led 1-0 through a Torres goal in the first half and I thought we'd hang on to the game.

Then, in the dying minutes Traore plays a lofted through ball to Utaka who's behind my defence line and I say out loud "Ha! Offside..."

But Utaka runs on and smashed the ball into the net. 1-1, no more highlights and the old faithful "Liverpool should've won this easily!" (Just to rub salt in the wounds).

Here is the match just before Traore plays the pass:

offsideyc2.jpg

You can see Traore (circled in white) with the ball at his feet, and Utaka (circled in red) is clearly offside behind Daniel Agger. Then the ball is played and the goal is scored etc etc.

After the match I'm asked if I thought the referee made the wrong decision. Obviously, he has made the wrong decision so I say I fully agree with that.

Then I am reprimanded by the FA as "Replays clearly show that the goal was legitimate"...

Eh? :confused:

They must be watching a totally different replay to mine. I accept that even in FM officials can and do make the wrong decision as it's part and parcel of the game, but the replay CLEARLY shows that he was offside, and I was correct.

There seems no point in questioning decisions when even if you're right, you're wrong. :(

Well if you think about it, it may be the match engine trying to emulate a ref. It brings into the game referee mistakes instead of robotic pinpoint to the exact pixel offside decisions. I like it like that.

YES. I know that, and I accept that too.

My point is, after the game the replay is "viewed" by whoever and they still say it was a legit goal.

This picture here is better:

offside2jr7.jpg

w1024.png

You can see all my players have pushed well forward, and the defender marking Utaka (it's Carragher, I said the wrong name the first time) steps forward to play him offside. The ball is played and the goal is allowed.

Of course, seeing as these are "counters", they look really close together in 2D, but from the 3D image in the OP you can see there is clearly daylight between them.

Let me just be clear though, this isn't me moaning about a goal being allowed that is clearly offside; I can accept that as it does happen. All I'm saying is: the FA or whoever viewed a replay of the incident and warned me for complaining, even though I was right.

yeah i do wish you could complain about a ref decision tbh, not just standard ref complaint but about a specific event, such as goal, booking, sending off penalty etc etc. That is my wish for the future, but alas, i can only dream :p

ahh yeah btw, your pic proves to me about the defenders being absolute jokes in this game, look at the back line, not one of them are goal side of a striker, which is why there are so many one on ones in this game. I hate that aspect of FM 2009.

Plus, with all four of Portsmouth's strikers being behind my defensive line, I can't imagine any EPL linesman NOT flagging there.

I just don't get why the FA watched the replay and came to the conclusion that I was wrong :mad:

I think you have a grievance there. The FA should have remained silent on that.

Thank you :thup:

You see now that my grievance is not with the goal itself, but with the fact that replays show it was the wrong decision, and had the FA actually viewed the incident; they would've known that.

Thank you :thup:

You see now that my grievance is not with the goal itself, but with the fact that replays show it was the wrong decision, and had the FA actually viewed the incident; they would've known that.

I always saw what your issue was. That was very clear. Your supporting evidence just wasn't initially there, now it is. You got screwed by the FA.

Thing is, even if your right there is nothing that can be done about it. Until we have technology or more refs at each game, decisions are going to be made whether they are right or wrong. I prefer it like this TBH, although i do agree the criticising the ref part could be introduced! Not to the Joe Kinnear standard though, SI would have to rate the game 18 years + then lol.

Thing is, even if your right there is nothing that can be done about it. Until we have technology or more refs at each game, decisions are going to be made whether they are right or wrong. I prefer it like this TBH, although i do agree the criticising the ref part could be introduced! Not to the Joe Kinnear standard though, SI would have to rate the game 18 years + then lol.

I'm talking simply about post-match here.

Apparently, the FA viewed this incident after the match and declared that the ref at the game made the correct decision at the time.

If they viewed the incident, they would see that the ref made the WRONG decision and would have at least remained silent on the issue.

My gripe (losing count of how often I'm saying this) is not with the goal, it's with the FA warning me of my conduct when I'm clearly in the right.

Although, reading back over your post; I think we're on the same page? :D

The FA always rules in favor of the ref if it's close. It's close in that picture (even though you're right), and so the FA will warn you for criticizing. The only time they'll remain silent in a situation like this is if there's a yard or so of difference. The same is true in real life.

The FA always rules in favor of the ref if it's close. It's close in that picture (even though you're right), and so the FA will warn you for criticizing. The only time they'll remain silent in a situation like this is if there's a yard or so of difference. The same is true in real life.

It is close, but it isn't exactly a marginal decision, it is very clearly offside

The FA should have stayed silent in this situation, doesn't seem right to me, usually the game is pretty good with things like this, although TBF, IRL the FA don't always make the right decisions, Steve McLaren anyone? :D

It looks close in the 2D image, yes, but not in the 3D picture.

If the FA view incidents on replay to make decisions on FM09, then they should've clearly seen this offside and been on my side (remained silent, as is the best we can hope for).

They do make mistakes IRL on various issues, but transfer this incident to a real life situation - every man and his dog can clearly see this is an incorrect decision, and there isn't a hope in hell of the FA saying the ref got it right, or else they'd totally damage their credibility.

its realistic though isn't it however annoying it may be.

Em, no it's not!

They're saying I'm WRONG! That's not even remotely realistic - I'm never wrong, how could I be? I can't be wrong. And that must be true - I couldn't say it if it wasn't true.

Go me. :D:thup:

A totally valid issue in my opinion.

It is offside, it's good (in a way that goals like this are allowed), but your right and the FA should have stayed silent.

Straying off topic ever so slightly, it would be a nice enchancement in future versions, to maybe have the "Dermot Gallagher" analysis that Sky use after the Sunday games. He often looks over controversial decisions and gives his opinion.

This may very well help us to decide whether or not to appeal / complain (so long as the outcome matches the proof!)

Do you think this might be worth posting in the bugs forum, if nothing else but to get an opinion from someone at SI ??

1. A totally valid issue in my opinion.

2. It is offside, it's good (in a way that goals like this are allowed), but your right and the FA should have stayed silent.

3. Straying off topic ever so slightly, it would be a nice enchancement in future versions, to maybe have the "Dermot Gallagher" analysis that Sky use after the Sunday games. He often looks over controversial decisions and gives his opinion.

4. This may very well help us to decide whether or not to appeal / complain (so long as the outcome matches the proof!)

5. Do you think this might be worth posting in the bugs forum, if nothing else but to get an opinion from someone at SI ??

Obviously, I totally agree with points 1,2,3,4 and 5:thup:

Archived