Right guys. Little bit of help need if you don't mind.

Just bagged myself a nice brand spanking PC from PC world. Just rigged it up and about to install the game. What exactly do i need to do now before i start a career?? - I'm talking in terms of updates, patches etc.

Any help/links very much appreciated.

Steam is a website which SI are in partnership with in FM09. If you select Steam's option in the installation process, you will recieve updates and you have to activate through them as well (I think). If you choose unilock, you simply have to enter the code on the back of the manual and the activation will take a matter of minutes (I chose this). But of course you have to patch up yourself - but thats easy enough if you've patched up with previous FM's.

Steam is a website which SI are in partnership with in FM09. If you select Steam's option in the installation process, you will recieve updates and you have to activate through them as well (I think). If you choose unilock, you simply have to enter the code on the back of the manual and the activation will take a matter of minutes (I chose this). But of course you have to patch up yourself - but thats easy enough if you've patched up with previous FM's.

Mos of the issues with steam happened closer to release day, since then all has been fine. There is a way that once steam is installed and FM activated, you can search out a file so you dont have to have steam running at all but still get the benefit of future updates. I used Steam, no prolems at all and that was on release day. One thing to note is that the activation code on the back of the manual can be hard to decipher, with 1 and I, 0 and O being hard to recoginse, there is a website to go to which will help you to decipher.

i've never downloaded patches before? Is it a case of replacing files by deleting them and pasting the downloaded update?

Once you download the patch, you will need a RAR extracter (winrar or similar) which you can also download. Once this is done and unzipped, you can open the file, click on the .exe and it will do it for you.

I have no objections to steam and it does seem to me that there are no/very little problems with it since release day/weekend. But I used unilock and had no problems and it took about 2 minutes and downloading 9.2.0 patch manually was fine for me as well.

So am i right in saying each time i play (if i want to run it through steam) i need to start the game, go for the steam option every time the game loads up and it will update each time i play? Do i not need to start again for the latest changes at steam to kick in?

Yeah it's going fine thanks. Only just getting to grips with everything really. Is there a way of playing this game in windowed mode so i can do other stuff as well as play FM?? Someone mentioned it's in the preferences bit but i can't see anything.

Windows mode is sorted now I had to change the properties in Steam but it is working fine now. Right i've started a fresh game. Started as unemployed and have just took the Braintree job in the Conference South (Always like to start at the bottom and work up - much more of a challenge) I'm going to use this thread to try and pick up some hints and tips along the way if that is ok?? I don't want people to say right buy this player or use this tactic - i will try and work out stuff like that myself. However, what sort of players should i look at trying to get in?? Free transfers?? or can you sometimes pick up players for free that are at clubs and valued at £50k+?? Where is the best place to pick up loans for teams in the bottom leagues?? I'm going to go route one i think. Probably some sort of adapted 4-4-2 with the long ball. Nice and attractive to watch :D

Free players are always a good place to start, for a club like Braintree, make sure you attend the "England Trial Day" at the beginning of the game, you can pick up one or two who have been released from medium size clubs.

Get your self a parent club, and they will send promising youngsters to develop at your club, well worth doing at that level.

How do you attend the trial day?? I've asked my board to look for a parent club and they will get back to me in the next few weeks. Just asked my assistant manager to get rid of any unrealistic targets from the list of players available. Trying to whittle through them to see who is worth while trying to pick up.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Right mate what is suggest is that use use your 4 long term loans for a decent player for each quarter of the pitch eg. 1 GK, 1 DC, 1 MC, 1 FC/ST. This is because these will most likely be the best players in the team and will provide a strong backnone for the team, rather than having 2 loanee strikers and no decent midfielders to set them up, you get my drift.:)

And also your on the right track with your tactics long ball deffo in the lower leagues :D. Another tip is to make sure you have a fairly quick striker because a quick striker in these leagues will rip up. Also try and bring in players that are very good in one aspect such as a very good free kick taker as this will be the differnce between losing and winning.

Hope this helps.

Thats great thanks for this. Which sort of divisions can i realistically be looking at bringing in loan players from?? Are we talking about the conference premier or might i get lucky with one or two from the football league??

Have any of you guys started off at a very small club like this and done well with them?? does it usually take a few seasons to start being successful or can you get promoted straight away if you find the right formula??

How do you attend the trial day?? I've asked my board to look for a parent club and they will get back to me in the next few weeks. Just asked my assistant manager to get rid of any unrealistic targets from the list of players available. Trying to whittle through them to see who is worth while trying to pick up.

Thanks for the advice so far.

It should have asked if you wanted to attend after about a week or so in the game. It's always happened to me, but I can't guarantee it.

As said above, pace is a great attribute, and can be lethal with your long ball style of game. My very simple advice would be find a good striker and at least one good passer of the ball in midfield, get quick wingers and try through balls, see where you get to.

One last thing for now, be measured and sensible in your dealings with the media, and your interaction with the players. I had a bad turn of events with a "lack of managerial discipline". This element of the game is more important now. Be hard, but fair !

Thats great thanks for this. Which sort of divisions can i realistically be looking at bringing in loan players from?? Are we talking about the conference premier or might i get lucky with one or two from the football league??

Have any of you guys started off at a very small club like this and done well with them?? does it usually take a few seasons to start being successful or can you get promoted straight away if you find the right formula??

Using your assistant to filter out will give you a decent indication of the level you can get players from.

You can overachieve quickly, but you need to be willing to make changes throughout the game, and react to the opposition changes. If you do this, and have a good eye for a bargain in the transfer market, and interact well with your players...You'll be on a winner!

Free players are always a good place to start, for a club like Braintree, make sure you attend the "England Trial Day" at the beginning of the game, you can pick up one or two who have been released from medium size clubs.

Get your self a parent club, and they will send promising youngsters to develop at your club, well worth doing at that level.

Thanks Macca. I'll keep this all on board. I've just put a bid in for a guy called John Paul Burns from Bo'ness Utd. Looks like he could be available for free and the assistant didn't filter him out when i asked for realistic signings. Not sure if he's any good but his stats look about as decent as i'm probably going to find at this level. 14 pace and 9 finishing. Quite a few 1's in there too though!!!!

Should i be looking for 20 pace in this division then?? or is this a bit too unrealistic??

You' should manage to get some championship players on loan but most certainly will get players from the football leagues 1 and 2.

The winning formula could instantly come or it could take years to succeed but eventually you'll find the right balance for your team and this is when success will start to come.

Another thing is don't make to many drastic changes to the line up and formation throughout the season, just tinker with the sliders till you get the desired results.

Another thing should mention is that don't bring in too many players as it will upset the team and the team may take a while to gel, also when bringing in players try to make sure that your players have similar personalities as this will help the team gel quicker.

Also make sure you pick the right captain, he has to be experienced (usually old in these leagues around 30+), make sure he has good mental stats such as influence, teamwork, determination.

If you have any more questions I'm more than ready to answer them:)

Thanks Macca. I'll keep this all on board. I've just put a bid in for a guy called John Paul Burns from Bo'ness Utd. Looks like he could be available for free and the assistant didn't filter him out when i asked for realistic signings. Not sure if he's any good but his stats look about as decent as i'm probably going to find at this level. 14 pace and 9 finishing. Quite a few 1's in there too though!!!!

Should i be looking for 20 pace in this division then?? or is this a bit too unrealistic??

He's maybe a little bit on the slow side but should do alright in your league against the sluggish defenders, it doesnt matter about the ones if there not required for his position if look for decent stats in these categories for a striker. Pace, Finishing, Composure

Brilliant advice this lads. Really appreciate it. How long should realistically it take me to get stuck in to the pre season proper?? I want to make sure i get everything sorted before the season starts - training, new players in, friendlies etc, new contracts handed out, new coaches etc. Are we talking about a few hours or a few days??

Remember it's my first proper go on this but i seem to be taking a long time to do stuff (the game is running fast so it's not that!!!)

Hursty, you say it is possible to get players from the Championship in on loan. Is this a case of trial and error - bid for loads of players to see if they will come or not?? or is there a search facility that narrows down the more realistic options??

Brilliant advice this lads. Really appreciate it. How long should realistically it take me to get stuck in to the pre season proper?? I want to make sure i get everything sorted before the season starts - training, new players in, friendlies etc, new contracts handed out, new coaches etc. Are we talking about a few hours or a few days??

Remember it's my first proper go on this but i seem to be taking a long time to do stuff (the game is running fast so it's not that!!!)

Take as long as you want mate get to know your players i think I took around 3 hours game time to get to my first friendly when i managed weymouth so its up to you really how long you take

Hursty, you say it is possible to get players from the Championship in on loan. Is this a case of trial and error - bid for loads of players to see if they will come or not?? or is there a search facility that narrows down the more realistic options??

Not necesarilly :rolleyes: Nah if u set the filter when searching for a player to say no more than 100k worth you may find some good championship players.

Heres a couple of suggestions

Lee Cox from Wolves Reserves (MC/RB)

Andy Barcham from Tottenham Reserves not sure you'll be able to get him but i did (RW/ST)

All i can say really is if you have to take a gamble go for it especially if they play in the championship because they're more than likely to be better than any of your players anyway

Bid has gone in for Darren Barnard. Some cracking stats for this level. Again he wasn't filtered out so fingers crossed i might be able to get him.

Don't go wasting your entire wage budget on this guy (he's 37 if im not wrong) because remember that he'll only last you a couple of seasons and plus with him being a coach he's gonna cost you more in wages.

Get stuck in straight away!

I would worry less about your coaches right now, and maybe your contract offers can be put to one side until you get a good feel for who your better players are. It's unlikely you'll get Premiership clubs bidding for your players !!

Play a couple of friendlies and see what's what, see who you've got that fits into your system and then take a breather for an hour or so and have another search for players. Don't fill your loans up too early as better players will arrive.

Concentrate on getting good quality players, if you get anyone with vital stats around the 12-14 mark you'll be doing ok in your division.

Look for good decision making throghout the team, composure & pace for attackers, strength & positioning for your defenders. It also would be good to get a good strong leader for your captain (I prefer to try and get someone who has played at a higher level to you) and get a good tackling midfielder with stamina, and someone who can pass.

Also, wait until you get your parent club feedback, if your lucky you might get a Leeds / Leicester which would be great for you as there are some promising youngsters.

Cheers mate. I'll have a mooch now.

Are there any foreign players that might want to come and ply their trade in the CS or is it mainly going to be UK based players?? I'm guessing the latter probably.

I highly doubt you'll get any foreign players as they would require work permits and thus them not being at an international level it would be near impossible to get work permits for them.

Take a look at these two guys from the Blue Square PL

Santos Gaia Brazillian Centre-Back (He's a Rock)

James Coutts MC (Up coming star)

Is he not worth going for then?? Looks better than anyone i'm probably going to be able to get (granted he is quite old!)

I'm not saying don't get him but if you do only sign him to a 1 year contract 2 at most becoz he's quite old and also how much in wages does he want?

Cheers mate. I'll have a mooch now.

Are there any foreign players that might want to come and ply their trade in the CS or is it mainly going to be UK based players?? I'm guessing the latter probably.

Have a peek at some of the more obscure nations (Iran, China etc) you might just find a gem who will come. Work permits might be a problem, but you don't get if you don't ask...

Don't go wasting your entire wage budget on this guy (he's 37 if im not wrong) because remember that he'll only last you a couple of seasons and plus with him being a coach he's gonna cost you more in wages.
I highly doubt you'll get any foreign players as they would require work permits and thus them not being at an international level it would be near impossible to get work permits for them.

Take a look at these two guys from the Blue Square PL

Santos Gaia Brazillian Centre-Back (He's a Rock)

James Coutts MC (Up coming star)

Not necesarilly :rolleyes: Nah if u set the filter when searching for a player to say no more than 100k worth you may find some good championship players.

Heres a couple of suggestions

Lee Cox from Wolves Reserves (MC/RB)

Andy Barcham from Tottenham Reserves not sure you'll be able to get him but i did (RW/ST)

All i can say really is if you have to take a gamble go for it especially if they play in the championship because they're more than likely to be better than any of your players anyway

Cheers Macca. You and Hursty are being very, very helpful here. Really appreciate it. I can tell you have had success at this level before.

Cheers Macca. You and Hursty are being very, very helpful here. Really appreciate it. I can tell you have had success at this level before.

No worries mate,

Also just be wary when making a 0 Pound bid(stupid keyboard no pound sign) because i've had a few instances where it has cost me 650 pounds lol

And with the players I suggested look to loan the top two i mentioned but the bottom two try and buy them if u can lol

Archived