My view

with the match engine and the like is as follows. It's something I'v always believed in with regards to the FM series and although I havent played FM09, it seems that it's happening in this version as well. Of course this doesent' include the bugs but I believe that the players aren't doing what they should be doing because in real life, if an unknown manager took charge of a top team then those fancy Premier League players would probably slack off too!

It's my view that in FM, just like in real life, you have to earn your apprenticeship and without grafting to become the Real Madrid/Liverpool manager, you won't get the true benefit from the game and your players won't initially have the same drive or focus as they would be if you were a top class and established manager.

That's true: starting as an unknown manager working up towards e.g. Liverpool is better for your players than starting as an unknown manager with Liverpool - a greater reputation means more incentive to play for you.

I personally can't get into games started at the top. I've tried playing as Liverpool a few times and I don't think any have lasted past the first game of the season. It's Lower League Management for me.

Archived