Am I Doing The Right Thing??

In my second season with Bologna I've got a couple of regens through, who have both got 7 stars. Of course the AI 'big' teams are all over me for them, offering £2.3m (at the moment. They did start at around £1.1m) for co-ownership of them.

Now, I've set their asking prices at £10m and told myself I'm waiting for £5m bids for the 50% of them.

Thing is, I'm not sure if I should be contemplating letting these clubs in for a cut. Am I likely to get players like this on a regular basis, or is this the exception rather than the rule??

That's my thoughts too, but I want to develop my youth as well. Having not did that before I was wondering if the likes of these kids are regend often at clubs like mine?? If they're going to be more or less a one-off I'd maybe rather keep them.

EDIT: remember, this is for co-ownership, not an outright sale.

If you can hold on to them (i.e. they don't get unhappy after you turn down other teams' transfer request) then yeah you should hold on to them. I managed to hold on to my youngster-turned-wonderkid CD until he was 22 when Roma bought him for 17m. I probably should have asked for more but oh well, the kid wanted to talk to Roma so yeah.

There will be more regens at that level coming up, don't worry. I found most of mine at San Marino (the club) so they came very cheap too. I only buy youngsters up to 500k and sell them when they are at least 2m.

Selling co ownership is a bit tricky, because if the players value improves a lot during the next season then you'll be worse off. I'd sell them outright, or sell a co ownership at current full value. 5m is a good price.

Also, the star system is relative, so 7 stars means they are the best in your current team. As your team quality improves, their star ratings will also be adjusted.

They're not going to pop up too often a club like Bologna.

What I would do (as I often play with Chievo) is if I get a decent co-ownership offer, and I need the money (otherwise I hold tight to the players forever, or until they want to leave) is to negotiate away any future fees or other clauses, and keep the player at my club for the maximum amount of time. That way I get to keep a close hand on their development, and play them in the team. It also means that they're not too irked at being at a lowish reputation club. When it comes time to decide on the co-ownership, I know by then if they are going to be good enough and bid accordingly. It's a risk naturally. But, if I lose the bidding war, either my manager or the club is their favourite by the time that comes around. So if I want to bring them back later, and can afford it, they tend to come home.

The big difference in 09 compared to 08 is the fact that there are way too many excellent regens all over the place. If you lose 2 you can find 5 more just as good via scouting in no time at all. They will all be blessed with great pace and will be better than the best players IRL at the age of 21 or so. A big fault with 09 imo :p

Well actally saying that it does depend on how many leagues your running, brazil seems to be such a hotspot for regens that i (as newcastle) have 5 impending transfers that are actually taking 2 years to complete as brazillians cannot move country untill at least 17 years old. These guys are rated as future better players than the stars i currently have. The more leagues the more swamped with 'too good' regens you will be with.

Hmmm, decisions decisions. Thanks for all your input guys. It's the first time I've been in this position so I'm very undecided.

Selling co ownership is a bit tricky, because if the players value improves a lot during the next season then you'll be worse off. I'd sell them outright, or sell a co ownership at current full value. 5m is a good price.

I'm thinking maybe 50% at £5m, then biddding at £3.5m in the auction (hypothetical numbers off-course) then I'm either effectively selling 100% at £8.5m or keeping the player with a profiy of £1.5m??

They're not going to pop up too often a club like Bologna.

What I would do (as I often play with Chievo) is if I get a decent co-ownership offer, and I need the money (otherwise I hold tight to the players forever, or until they want to leave) is to negotiate away any future fees or other clauses, and keep the player at my club for the maximum amount of time.

Not seeing their like again for a while is my fear. I didn't think you could negotiate future fees in a co-ownership. Or do you mean just in a straight sale?

Well actally saying that it does depend on how many leagues your running, brazil seems to be such a hotspot for regens that i (as newcastle) have 5 impending transfers that are actually taking 2 years to complete as brazillians cannot move country untill at least 17 years old. These guys are rated as future better players than the stars i currently have. The more leagues the more swamped with 'too good' regens you will be with.

I'm only running Serie A, but I've got about a dozen DDTs in which should help, apparently.

UPDATE

The bidding got to £5.75m and I decided to accept. But the player didn't move as he wanted a higher fee for 1st team appearances - strange, when you consider he'd be staying at my club!!

So, Milan and Roma kept bidding, with the bids getting higher when all the time I was accepting them?!?! But he kept rejecting for the same reason.

The two of them got to the stage of bidding £8m for 50% of the regen! This time I thought I'd try changing my reason for accepting the bid - instead of too 'good an offer to refuse' I said 'he's not in my first team plans'. I don't know if that made the difference, but he accepted.

Another strange thing was when he accepted he 'was enthusiastic about moving to such a well respected club'!?!? He isn't going anywhere - he's staying with me for at least another year.

A very strange affair indeed.

Archived