Unable to load up game

Hi not sure whether this should be in the bugs forum or not but i'm having a bit of trouble loading my game, whenever i try to start up the game i get a message saying "not well formed (invalid token) at line 1 of last_saved_game.xml". Any ideas on how to solve the problem?

I can't play the game due to an XML parsing error

If you have a shortcut on your desktop you can do the following:

• Right-click on the FM shortcut.
  • Choose "Properties" from the pop-up menu.
  • In the "Target" field, add the --reset_preferences command line option after "fm.exe", so it should look like this:
    "C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\fm.exe" --reset_preferences
  • Press OK and then try to run the game as normal, using the shortcut.

You'll want to remove the command after you run the game, as otherwise it will continue to reset your preferences every time you launch.

If you don't have a shortcut you can make one and then perform the instructions on the shortcut you've made.

• If you purchased and installed the game through Steam you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:
    C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Football Manager 2009/
  • If you purchased and installed the game from a boxed DVD copy you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:
    C:/Program Files/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009/

Other XML Errors

Delete the following folder:

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\settings

Vista: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\settings

This may solve some issues regarding the XML Errors

Hi,

I am also having this problem and I have tried the abve 'fix' on the shortcut and it doesn't work.

As for deleting the file(s) listed I have followed the steps and cannot find any of them!

HELP!!!!!!!!!

(I should say the game has been working fine for three weeks and now suddenly my game has developed these parsing errors - not happy and not impressed)

Lads, just go to My Computer, then in there go to tools and then folder options.

Click the view tab and tick show hidden files and folders. Confirm.

Now you should be able to find it and do this:

Other XML Errors

Delete the following folder:

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\settings

Vista: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\settings

Jod123, thanks very much for your help, found the folder and deleted it. The other problem was that when I checked the properties on the shortcut the info in the target box was not as you have shown above (i.e Football Manager) it was for Steam. I tried what you said anyway and I don't think it worked. Finally, when I get these parsing errors the game diusappears and I cannot closed it down, even via ctrl-alt-delete (it doesn't show). I have tried uninsalling and reinstalling with no joy.

Archived