Denied a play-off place...On Alphabetical order!

tight.jpg

Surely this isn't right?

It's season 2, I (along with Leeds) was promoted last season with Leicester. I was in the play-offs basically all season and was still going into the last game. I was dead even with Leeds on points and GD, but had scored 2 more goals.

I beat Nottingham Forest 1-0, they beat Fulham 3-2. That meant we had identical records. My head-to-head with them was better (drew away, won at home) and I won more games.

Anybody convince me that it wasn't alphabetical order that raped me?

tight.jpg

Surely this isn't right?

It's season 2, I (along with Leeds) was promoted last season with Leicester. I was in the play-offs basically all season and was still going into the last game. I was dead even with Leeds on points and GD, but had scored 2 more goals.

I beat Nottingham Forest 1-0, they beat Fulham 3-2. That meant we had identical records. My head-to-head with them was better (drew away, won at home) and I won more games.

Anybody convince me that it wasn't alphabetical order that raped me?

mildem thats really unlucky but i think that the reason that you missed out was because leeds lost 2 less games then you but tht is really unlucky

What should be happening is that you play off against Leeds to determine who gets the sixth spot. But prior to that fixture being arranged, alphabetical order is used to decide the league table, after Points, Goal Difference and Goals Scored are taken into account. There's only a problem if that play off against Leeds isn't organised.

It wasn't organised as I'm now in pre-season of 10/11.

I don't think losing more games is relevant here because surely winning 1 more is equally as important, if not more so?

A play-off is the only sound argument I can find, but it obviously isn't built into the game!

A play off is built into the game in some cases I think but obviously not this one. As far as I know there should have been one.

Yeah there definitely should have been a playoff. This is from Wikipedia.

The teams are ranked in the league table by points gained, then goal difference and then goals scored. In the event that two or more teams finish the season equal in all these respects, teams are separated by alphabetical order, unless a promotion, relegation or play-off place (see below) is at stake, when the teams are separated by a playoff game.

Bring it up in the bugs forum. :thup:

I was mad enough anyway, but they crashed out in the Semis!

It was frustrating because I have never lost to them in the 4 games we've played, and was unbeaten against the other teams in the top 6 as well.

For the record, Derby beat Forest 3-2 in the final. Imagine the tension at Wembley in that game!

Humour.

It wasn't funny though. :confused: Anyway, it's too easy to say that about Wikipedia. But the truly intelligent among us are still able to differentiate between articles that have no basis in fact, and articles that are well researched, factual, and informative. Thus, for the intelligent, Wikipedia is a useful source of information.

It wasn't funny though. :confused: Anyway, it's too easy to say that about Wikipedia. But the truly intelligent among us are still able to differentiate between articles that have no basis in fact, and articles that are well researched, factual, and informative. Thus, for the intelligent, Wikipedia is a useful source of information.

If you provide a source upon which the wikipedia article is based upon, yes.

It was funny HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA LOL! < see!

The rules section of the league page you showed us should highlight the sorting criteria, does it not?

Used to if it doesn't now...

Yes, but it only says 'Goal Difference' then 'Goals Scored'.

From the GPTG FAQ

XIII. How is the English Premier League table ordered?

Obviously, the Premier League table is ordered firstly on the amount of points gained during the season. After the points tallied, the goal difference is taken into account. Goal difference is worked out by minusing the amount of goals conceded from the amount of goals scored. If teams are still tied after points and goal difference, then the amount of goals scored is used. Finally, if teams are still tied for a position, then one of two things will happen. If something is at stake, such as a place in Europe, then a play-off game takes place at a neutral venue. The winner of this game recieves whatever is at stake. If there is nothing depending on the positions of the teams, then the teams will tie for the position.

That's how the Premier league works, I would assume the Championship is the same.

Yes, but it only says 'Goal Difference' then 'Goals Scored'.

From the GPTG FAQ

Obviously, the Premier League table is ordered firstly on the amount of points gained during the season. After the points tallied, the goal difference is taken into account. Goal difference is worked out by minusing the amount of goals conceded from the amount of goals scored. If teams are still tied after points and goal difference, then the amount of goals scored is used. Finally, if teams are still tied for a position, then one of two things will happen. If something is at stake, such as a place in Europe, then a play-off game takes place at a neutral venue. The winner of this game recieves whatever is at stake. If there is nothing depending on the positions of the teams, then the teams will tie for the position.

That's how the Premier league works, I would assume the Championship is the same.

What about the prize money, then? Cause a higher position on the table will give a team about 1mil Euros more (talking about the EPL).

Although it is very unfortunate, I think we should appreciate how close the league was, and how ecxiting the end of the season was, at both ends of the table! :o And just imagine how great it would have been to finish above Leeds because of games won!

You should have asked the FL to take 15 points off them. Worked for Doncaster!

Doncaster didn't ask for 15 points to be taken off them. It didn't make any difference to Doncaster anyway as we'd still have been in the play-offs. The only difference it made was it gave us the wonderful satisfaction of it being Leeds we beat in the play-off final instead of someone else.

If Leeds hadn't welshed on their debts they'd have had those 15 points from the start. They've only themselves to blame.

If you provide a source upon which the wikipedia article is based upon, yes.

It was funny HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA LOL! < see!

It's rule B.31 in the FA rules.

"Play-offs

31. If at the end of the Season either the League Champions or the Clubs to be relegated or the

question of qualification for other competitions cannot be determined because 2 or more

Clubs are equal on points, goal difference and goals scored, the Clubs concerned shall play off

one or more deciding League Matches on neutral grounds, the format, timing and venue of

which shall be determined by the Board."

Archived