New to Football - what is Shown onto weaker foot?

GMO

Show onto weaker foot is (if you can imagine) a striker at the edge of the box faced by a defender (one of many scenarios) the defender can block his path and shot to the right meaning he cannot get a shot off on the right foot but there is plenty of space to either shoot with the left (the weaker foot in this case) or try and turn and shift on his left.

It is basically inviting them to shoot, cross, pass etc with their weaker foot.

I've always wondered what is the downside of doing this? I mean, why not just do this for every player who doesn't have equal quality in both feet? Surely you must be risking something to do it, right?

Well you would be giving them room for a shot at goal or cross or whatever even though it is using their weaker foot.

ok GMO, here goes, when playing against a good attacker ( striker, winger or am mainly with good flair or dribbling or finishing stats)

rather than dive in and try and tackle the player, it is sometimes best to just stand up and make it difficult for the player to pass you without loseing possesion.

most attacking players when running as a defensive player wait for them to dive in with a tackle and therefore become easy to 'skin' and pass with the ball probably leaving the defensive player either on his arse or off balance and unable to get back in time to cut off the attacking player with the ball.

by this defensive player 'diving in', it means some other defensive player will have to come accross and cover the space which the attacking player id driving into and thus leaving an unmarked player somewhere in the attacking third of the pitch!

the only time i would say it is not advisable to show attacking players onto weaker foot is if the attacking player is a winger and his weaker foot is the foot nearest centre of the pitch.

this could mean the winger straight towards goal and drawing out another defensive player who has to now leave his man unmarked.

imo its always best to show wingers down the line, meaning they are being shown away from goal.

the best way to show a player onto his weaker foot is to not stand straight infront of a player and instead stand slightly over to which ever side the player is stronger on.

i hope that makes sense!

Jod123

"Maybe he played the other games SI used to make. I think they made a hockey one and baseball one"

You're right, I used to play EHM (the hockey game) before it died.

Notice that I come from Canada.

Jod123

"Maybe he played the other games SI used to make. I think they made a hockey one and baseball one"

You're right, I used to play EHM (the hockey game) before it died.

Notice that I come from Canada.

That was another reason I thought you might have. ;)

Archived