is it impossible to defend against pace

i just got a job offer from west ham who are 18th lost 10games in a row i take over, first game arsenal 3-2 loss Theo Walcott hat trick, next game 0-0 robinho misses a hat full same case in a 4-0 loss to portsmouth (was 1-0 till the 85th minute then i went all or nothing)

everytime a striker with 17 pace or more has ripped me to pieces - i defend deep as you can go use Matty Upson (15pace) and Micheal Dawson (12pace) and i just get ripped apart HOW DO YOU DEFEND IT?

what kind of marking are you set to? because if you have "tight marking" against a striker with pace, they will beat you on every thru ball. be careful about your defensive line being too deep because if you are as deep as you can go, there is too much space between the midfield and your back 4, making it easier for your opponents to attack and cut thru your defense. It seems like you have defenders with pace so I would recommend playing zonal or tight marking (whichever you prefer) but without tight marking. Also don't have your defensive line too deep either. See if that works. Another aspect that is important, but you don't have very much control of is a defender's "positioning" attribute. Defenders with high positioning will get caught out of position less and will be less prone to getting shredded by pace because they know where to be to effectively defend their opponent. I hope this helps a bit.

i used the - defend deep but not too deep/ not tight/ hard tackling

beat sunderland 3-2, Kenwyn Jones ripped me apart, soon as you go deep defence they kept playing long balls onto his head!! and they were constantly in my half. After i went 2-0 up using 4-4-2, i went 5-3-2 (with sweeper), conceded 2 set pieces, (penalty HARD TACKLING!! and from a free kick near the box going to Kenwyn) so at least the defence tatic works against small fast players.

thank god for a Dean Ashton 92nd minute goal - swapped places with Sunderland upto 17th, shame they beat Stoke next game and stil to play Burnely (19th), Reading (16th), Bolton (15th) in the next few games - where as i have tough games

Archived