Teams Buy my players then dont use them

I had the same on 08. My best striker in the Argentine 2nd Division was bought by somebody in the Premier Division and they never played him. I bought him back for much cheaper when I got promoted though :cool:

Tbf in my case I call it the 'Old Firm' mentality of buying all the good players around them and then not playing them so the old team are scuppered.

There is some extremely dubious logic on display with AI signings. I often check up on signings a few years later and despite blowing their entire transfer budget on a player, they very often only play a handful of games and then get sold on for a fraction of what they cost.

There is some extremely dubious logic on display with AI signings. I often check up on signings a few years later and despite blowing their entire transfer budget on a player, they very often only play a handful of games and then get sold on for a fraction of what they cost.

Agreed... Chelsea bought Huntelaar for 19.5 mil. He only played 2 CL matches nothing else. In March he was transfer listed by request and the asking price was 0 :confused: I got him for free...

In FM08 at least, the AI bought players based on CA. So they might think 'that player's CA as an AMR is much higher than our best AMR, we'll buy him' but then they don't play a formation which uses an AMR, for example. I've seen this a couple of times, where a team buys an amazing player that won't fit into their formation, such as a wing back or something. Not sure if it's the same in FM09 since SI totally reworked the transfer system

When I was St. Johnstone in the Scottish Premier League, Leeds United bought Andy Jackson off me for 2m and he only played 1 game for them for the rest of the season. I bought him back for 100k during the off season.

There are cases when this would be possible, but not all the time.

For example, Portmouth spent alot of money to bring Dave Nugent to their club and he's hardly featured - in part due to injury, but also because he hasn't performed when given the chances.

However, he didn't cost £30m...but Shevchenko did at Chelsea and you'd really expect to see what happened to him for the more expensive players (featuring in alot of games at the start of his career, when its obvious he isnt performing he becomes a sub, then after that a back-up player). You'd expect a £30m player to have 15 appearances, 10 sub appearances and little else if he was genuinely given a chance at the club and just didn't take it...and it's weird for clubs to blow so much money on a player and not give him the chance to prove himself.

I can understand the "he doesn't fit in the system" arguement...but how about a central midfielder, striker or defender? You'd expect an expensive signing to automatically be thrown into the side if they were so desperate to sign him.

Well instead of giving my opinion on the matter ill just post some stats as i have the game loaded right now...

Managing Rangers, January 30th 2012.

Former 1st team players that i have sold over the years: (including players ive bought and then sold)

08/09

Nacho Novo: Sold to Portsmouth for £4.2m.. has made 13 appearances for them.

Kris Boyd: Sold to Spurs for £6m.. has made 43 appearances.

Madjid Bougherra: Sold to Ajax for £900k.. has made 40 appearances.

Lee McChulloch: sold to Hull for £1.5m.. made 11 apearances in 2 seasons for them before being sold to Wigan for £500k who hes made 25 appreances for.

Charlie Adam: sold to Sheffield Utd for £1.5m.. 108 appearances.

09/10

Steven Davis: Sold to Man City for £7.5m.. 47 appearances.

Jean Claude Darcheville: Free move to Levidia, 63 appearances before retiring.

Kyle Lafferty: Sold to Newcastle for £6m.. 48 appearances.

Andy Webster: Sold to Hull for £3.4m.. 93 appearances.

10/11

Ibrahim Afellay: Sold to Chelsea for £16.5m.. 21 appearances.

Christophe Berra: Sold to Newcastle for £6m.. 23 appearances.

Steven Fletcher: Sold to West Ham for £5m.. 53 appearances.

Freddy Adu: Sold to Arsenal for £18m.. 42 appearances.

Steven Naismith: Sold to Birmingham for £2.1m.. 28 appearances.

Maurice Edu: Sold to Napoli for £5m.. 29 appearances.

Allan McGregor: Sold to Stoke for £2.5m.. 47 appearances.

11/12

Dos Santos: Sold to Barcelona for £11.5m.. 10 apearances.

Not bad realy, you can definately tell who got bought as back up and who got bought for 1st team duties though.

Nacho Novo's move to Portsmouth has been the worst by far considering hes had 3.5 seasons to play for them.

Andy Webster and Charlie Adam both seem to have been 1st team picks though.

In my save Manchester United have done this often.

Toni Kroos £7M: 15 total appearances in 4 seasons.

David Wheater £10M: 0 appearances in 4 seasons.

Obafemi Martins £21M: 0 appearances in 1 season.

Adam Lallana £7.5M: 0 appearances in 1 season.

There are many other similar examples for teams.

This happens in real life in the SPL all the time... The Old Firm buy quality players from other SPL clubs every year, apparently just to stop them playing against them. This might sound a bit cynical, but it's true. Eventually, players who possibly could have cut it at a decent championship club end up rotting on the bench and their career dips from there on... see Riordan, Boyd, and many, many others.

The best move for any decent SPL player is to an English championship side (a la Roman Bednar) because at least they can then progress their career.

I don't know how FM treats those kind of transfers, but in reality, it's rife in Glasgow. We might actually qualify for a major tournament if all our good players were allowed to actually play for a team rather than sit on a bench at Ibrox/Parkhead.

This happens in real life in the SPL all the time... The Old Firm buy quality players from other SPL clubs every year, apparently just to stop them playing against them. This might sound a bit cynical, but it's true. Eventually, players who possibly could have cut it at a decent championship club end up rotting on the bench and their career dips from there on... see Riordan, Boyd, and many, many others.

Oh please...

Riordan fell out with Strachan, thats why he didnt get played... it was not because the old firm feared him, so they bought him just to annoy Hibs.

Boyd is useless in a 4-5-1 formation and thats what Rangers *had* to play last year, even still he ended up top scorer for the team with his sub appearances and this year hes started almost every game and is the top league scorer.

The Old Firm do not ruin players careers intentionaly, and you just need to look at the likes of Kevin Thomson, Boyd, Brown, Hartley, Broadfoot, Whittaker, Robson etc. etc. etc. to see that the vast majority of SPL players that go to the Old Firm go on to have a lot of success.

If you realy think the likes of Riordan or Gow could somehow make Scotland start winning international games then im convinced you are having a laugh.

Archived