Question regarding Creativity & Creative Freedom

I'm currently playing a game as Man Utd and have been using a standard team setting of 14 for creative freedom in individual player instructions. But then I a thought occurred to me in regards to setting individuals creative freedom..... should a players individual creative freedom be assigned in relation to what their creativity attribute? What I mean is....if for example say Paul Scholes has a creativity attribute of 18 should I asign him a creative freedom of 18 on the slider? Is there a direct relationship between the attribute and what instruction you give the player to the extent that I mean. Is 18 on the creative freedom slider the optimum setting for Scholes as he has a creativity attribute of 18?

It's just something that had me thinking and wondered if anyone had an answer?

I'm currently playing a game as Man Utd and have been using a standard team setting of 14 for creative freedom in individual player instructions. But then I a thought occurred to me in regards to setting individuals creative freedom..... should a players individual creative freedom be assigned in relation to what their creativity attribute? What I mean is....if for example say Paul Scholes has a creativity attribute of 18 should I asign him a creative freedom of 18 on the slider? Is there a direct relationship between the attribute and what instruction you give the player to the extent that I mean. Is 18 on the creative freedom slider the optimum setting for Scholes as he has a creativity attribute of 18?

It's just something that had me thinking and wondered if anyone had an answer?

They are not the same thing. Creativity relates to Scholes' ability to unlock defences by spotting opportunities to play others in. Creative freedom is basically a flair boost that encourages players to try the unexpected. The latter may influence the number of times Scholes atempts to play killer balls, but it might also influence how often he tries to shoot from distance, dribble, lob the keeper etc, etc.

There is no right or wrong option here, I've seen some very succesful tactics that use a global CF (creative freedom) of 1 and some with 5 players with CF at 20... In my opinion the main attributes to look at are flair and decisions but I also look at creativity and technique a little bit. I wouldn't have more than 5 players with high CF even with the top teams and/or even if your team is full of flair players. As a thumb rule, the lower level football you play the less your players should have CF.

Attacking players should have more creative freedom than defensive players naturally, but there are a few exceptions. A libero can have a higher CF than you would normally assign to a DC, a deep lying playmaker can have more CF than a normal anchor man, very attacking minded full backs (especially in a wingerless formation) can and maybe even should have high CF.

I have had a lot of success with 4 players with high CF, 3 with normal and 3 with low when playing top flight football in a strong league. In a 4-4-2 high would usually be for wingers, MCa and the faster striker (normally FCa), normal would be the stronger target type striker and full backs. Low for DC's and MCd. Of course here you should still keep in mind the attributes. If you have a defensive minded full back with low flair, decisions etc. low might be the better option...

I think of Creativity as on-the-ball-Vision. Creativity is used to determine how well a player reads the game to spot where the ball should be going (high passing is used to determine whether or not the ball actually arrives).

CF is broader than that in that CF gives the player room to deviate from your set game plan. For low CF, your tactical instructions are "set in stone", while for high CF, they are more "general guidelines" for the player. With high CF, you're basically giving the player to make his own judgment calls on how to play based on the moment itself.

For me, the most important attribute for CF will be Decisions, because it's that attribute which determines whether or not the player's judgment is any good in the first place. After that, it will be attributes like Teamwork (awareness of the rest of the team), Flair (something to use the CF for), Creativity (again, to use the CF for), perhaps Influence (together with Teamwork will keep the tactics intact while deviating from the individual gameplan) and some specific attributes depending on what you think the player should be doing (passing and technique if you want him to playmake, off the ball if you want him to find room for himself, positioning if you want a libero-type DC)

Archived