Questions Regarding Networking

Ok, so me and a bunch of mates want to start a game on Football Manager '09 together via the network. There are roughly 4/5 of us but could be as many as 8. I just have a couple of questions. Just a few things I need to clarify first of all...

1) Do users need their own unique copy (CD Key) to play? I have the game but my brother doesn't, would we both be able to play using my CD Key? Or is the system common with most other games, where each user needs there own copy of the game. Also, can those users with a pirate/downloaded copy of the game still play?

2) I understand that users have to unblock some ports on their router/firewall. Is this necessary for all users or just the host of the game??

3) Not really a question, but could someone outline how the networking and the game works in multiplayer?

Thanks for your help, much appareciated ;)

The networking confused the heck out of me...someone unhelpfully told me to look at the Online Forum which didn't really have anything to help me (a novice...haha).

I ended up Hamachi on the recommendation of another website...and then followed the guide on the online forum giving the IP address from Hamachi...and it worked.

The game itself works okay like this, though I did get robbed of a match because the host computer was playing the matches and I got disconnected (it happens...like every few hours you'll be booted) and I lost 2-1 to Man City. Gutted. But then I went on a little undefeated run again, so at least I could blame him for that loss ;) haha.

Apart from it being slower the game is largely the same. My friend is an idiot and set it on Large database...seriously, medium is enough. Internationals take like 10 minutes...I'm scared thinking about the world cup!!

Aaaaaaaanyway, trust me...it's alot more fun with 8 of you all with your own computers. I can't help with info about the keys and everything...but yeah...enjoy.

Good luck man.

Archived