SPL - How do you break the old firm?

It feels like they are a million miles ahead of the pack

Well they are in alot of respects tbh. It would take something special to break them up irl (like a Romanov/Burley scenario (without the insane portions ;))).

I think, in FM terms, you would need to build up a pretty solid infrastructure and scout out a whole load of quality, free regens to make an impact like that.

Or be an absolutely incredible tactician :-/

I haven't started a proper career yet, I'm just waiting for the third patch to be released before starting with East Fife.

I'm not promising that I'll challenge the old firm but I'll certainly give it a go. I have a 5 year plan to get into the SPL, then I'll take it from there. I've spent a few month rejigging and tweaking and tinkering with different tactics and formations. I'm now finally at the point where I'm confident that I've created something special. I'm raring to go.

I'll topple the old firm within 5-7 years. ;)

East Fife in the CL final,wouldnt that be a good sight to see :)

lol It definitely would!

Alas, that's the dream. Hopefully I can make it a reality. :)

scottish stallion: I will.

It'll definitely be a challenge. This is the most confident I've felt in any FM/CM incarnation since CM4 (Where I won the SPL in 4 seasons - I also won 4 scottish cups and 2 league cups) This time I'll be starting in division 2, but I'm okay about that as it'll give me a while to build a solid foundation at the club.

Good luck with your pursuit, btw.

I got rid of the old firm by swapping them with a couple of clubs in the highland league! Cheating I know and probably not what you want to hear but it does work. Once you get rid of celtic and rangers the spl becomes a lot more competitive.

Its hard to do to begin with but with 2 - 3 seasons planning its very easily done. My inverness ct file was slightly more difficult because relegation contenders at the start, not middle table teams. If you save your finances and buy young talent for the future within 2 seasons u will be in europe. The hard part is buying players that are well know. The clubs in scotland dont have the best reputation. Its really hard to improve it aswel. Ive won 7 scottish leagues, 5 league cups, 6 scottish fa cups, eufa cup, champions league once(been to the final twice), eufa super cup twice and world club championship. Also ranked 1 in the european rankings and still cant buy good players. The clubs reputation only just turned into continental this season. The best way is buy young n watch them blossem.

reason i ask and i put it as a question on here a while ago is does running the 1 league make it less realistic? ie in fm07/08 running the scottish league only with ddts for the major clubs, scotland won the world cup back to back, hearts won the uefa cup in the 1st season, celtic/rangers the champions league etc etc in one game i had going, aint going to happen is it lol. recommended setup is a couple of nations, 12 leagues in total i think, should i just run that anyway but on view only for the rest and keep the 1 league i intend to do a career game for as playable?

reason i ask and i put it as a question on here a while ago is does running the 1 league make it less realistic? ie in fm07/08 running the scottish league only with ddts for the major clubs, scotland won the world cup back to back, hearts won the uefa cup in the 1st season, celtic/rangers the champions league etc etc in one game i had going, aint going to happen is it lol. recommended setup is a couple of nations, 12 leagues in total i think, should i just run that anyway but on view only for the rest and keep the 1 league i intend to do a career game for as playable?

I would just run them all, it solves the problem of the Jambos winning the UEFA cup (how unrealistic!!) and it gives you that option of when you get bored or if you end up unemployed, is there a better challenge than going someone like Elgin?! :eek:

I'm using Dundee United as well. 1st season I finished 2nd, but Celtic had won the league with about 7 matches to play... lol

2nd season I won the league, Celtic 1 point behind me.

3rd season I'm currently in, Feb 20th and 4 points clear of Rangers in 2nd.

I've been getting lucky on transfers, getting some good ones for free or cheap. Just depends how much time you want to spend going through the available players for transfer and the free players that pop up in the summer.

With me usually as Inverness Caley (best team in the world), I get some cheap/frees in my first season and start of second I usually sell Ian Black and more reluctantly, Don Cowie. If you push it correctly, you can get around 7.5M for those two!! Then proceed to but GOOD SPL players from the other teams and usually by third season, you have at least qualified for Uefa cup and are ready to start gunning them down. That's what I do!

Archived