Is it just me that doesn't like regens.

I understand that regens need to happen but I just dont like the way that some in their first or second season can become such fantastic players.

I only really buy RL players.

Amyone else have any opinions on them?

I prefer long term games where I start out in the lower leagues and work my way up over a number of seasons, so for those reasons regens are a must.

Last year regens always started out with low CA's so that, regardless of their potential, you never got any Messi, Rooney or Ronaldo type wonderkids in the future. For me it's a lot better this time round.

I think the regens are just fine this year. Look at the facts, Messi was a regular at 19, Fabregas at 17, Rooney at 17 and Pato and 19 and these are all world class players. If it happens IRL then it should happen in the game.

I think it is well spread out with some of the higer PA players being world class at 18,19 or 20and some of them taking their time to develop.

It's an incredibly fine balance between being too good and not good enough. As Lorca in Div2B in Spain I have a first team consisting of about 60% 16 year olds because I've just hit the 2nd season and it's regen-signing time. I got all of them for free and they are all exceptionally good for the league, I'm now 1st after 10 rounds or so and undefeated. It also allowed me to sell my first team members from last season which took my bank balance from the red to very healthy and multiplied my transfer budget by 20.

I don't really know what can be done about that though. It's very unrealistic, since irl these youngsters would not cope with even Div2B football I believe, but if they were worse then they'd have to undergo some pretty rapid progress to be ready for first team at their Liga BBVA and adelante clubs (and I do believe they'd have had the potential to eventually make the first team at their former clubs). In fact, perhaps this is less of a regen problem and moreso a case of clubs not holding onto their quality youngsters, ala the Bojan bug?

I think you've identified the crux of the problem with your last sentance. There's nothing wrong with good young players being produced, the problem is that the clubs don't recognise them as good players and release them far too easily.

But it is so much fun playing as some obscure lower league team and signing absurdly talented regens as you make your way to the top. Fairly sure I signed on a free transfer the future right-back of England this past off-season.

It is not just that they are let go that is an issue. It is also that the competition to sign these players isn't always that stiff. Clubs should be lining up to sign these players, but too often I'm competing against myself.

Archived