Intuitable tactical sliders/settings.

The setup at the moment is counter/un-intuitive.

An example: I play as #10 up front for my club, a gudjohnsen style role occasionally with back to goal. I play SHORT passes. I play short passes to my #9, sometimes putting him in on goal, sometimes into a good position, sometimes he ends up by the corner flag when i mess it up, the point is: the distance of my passes IS SHORT. Whether they be passes that put him 1v1 with the keeper or whatever. In FM if i'm an FC, this passing style would take the label: Direct. The Idea is that I try to play good quality passes but from CLOSE to my striker.

counter intuitive.

The term "mentality" is an poor choice to describe what that setting actually does. There should be separate sliders for mentality and "line on the pitch/positional advancement/depth of a player in his position: Say an MC close to the DC or AMC. Mentality should reflect a players commitment to defense or attack, NOT his line on the pitch.

totally counter intuitive.

"Gaps between the lines"

This is caused by the confusing mentality settings.

As previously stated- anyone in their right mind would assume that their striker would be on 15-20 attacking mentality, and their CB's would be on 1-5 mentality defensive. If this reasonably intuitive approach is taken it causes massive problems.

There needs to be a seperation made between line on the pitch and mentality- if they are bundled into one category they conflict. For example a Deep lying sweeper who you want to be attacking. It makes no sense.

please feel free to add...

It is counter-intuitive indeed, which is A LOT of people struggle with the tactics. It's only when i read some of the works on the tactics board that I begin to understand how tactics work and I am now able to create better more solid tactics.

I have nothing to add at the moment but I agree with the OP. At least the user should be given a lot more feedback for their actions.

The very least improvement that could be done is to alter the visual tactics screen based on the settings and changes we have made, e.g.

- increasing a player's Mentality would show the player shirt move further up,

- increasing Width would show the team positioning spread out more to the sides,

- increasing Creative Freedom... hmm... I'm not quite sure how we can visualise that.

Someone drafted a new tactics screen a few weeks ago and I definitely think it should be implemented.

- increasing Creative Freedom... hmm... I'm not quite sure how we can visualise that.

Someone drafted a new tactics screen a few weeks ago and I definitely think it should be implemented.

Could have an orb eminating from the shirt showing how far he's prepared to leave his post while attacking/defending?

I don't think a visual change is the answer- the point i was trying to make is that the categories are in themselves conflicting. mentality the way it is set up conflicts with defensive line and forward runs settings..

The solution in my view is this: IF you want to have a system where the POSITION of say an AMC is defined by a 1-20 setting (within his amc position) then you go to a system which simply lets us place him more exactly- isolate that setting. It's so much simpler. rather than bunching mentality and place on the pitch together. Some may say they are linked, however i disagree.

Archived