Come Back We Need You

Just wondering if anyone has been approached by one of their previous clubs to take up the manager job again after you have been at other clubs, and if so did they make any mention of your previous reign at the club?

I'm manager at Shrewsbury but the USA approached me to manage their team for World Cup 2014. Needless to say, I did pretty poorly since the US team isn't really up to much. I quit after the World Cup since there wouldn't be anything else on for years, but they approached me about a month after I left. "Reconsider your resignation" was the phrase they used.

I'm manager at Shrewsbury but the USA approached me to manage their team for World Cup 2014. Needless to say, I did pretty poorly since the US team isn't really up to much. I quit after the World Cup since there wouldn't be anything else on for years, but they approached me about a month after I left. "Reconsider your resignation" was the phrase they used.

Thats very interesting and a great response, thanks mate, really nice to know that it can happen.

I have seen it on a number of occasions with national teams, but i haven't seen it with a domestic team. You would have thought that a chairman would try to convince a legendary manager to stay when he walks into his office with his letter of resignation in hand.

I have seen it on a number of occasions with national teams, but i haven't seen it with a domestic team. You would have thought that a chairman would try to convince a legendary manager to stay when he walks into his office with his letter of resignation in hand.

Would make a hell of a lot of sense if that were the case.

I have had something close to this with West Ham. I took over the club after they had been relegated to the championship and got them promoted as champions back to Premiership at the first time of asking. A lot of clubs then started linking with their vacancies. I decided I would have a better chance of getting a job with a club if I didnt have a current position so I resigned. Within 2 days West Ham were in with an offer to come back as Manager again with a much better contract and transfer funds.

Same for me when I resigned from England after the 2014 World Cup. I didn't think we did well enough, but they thought I did! Plus, another reason for the resignation was that I got sick of juggling that job with club management, so I chose to leave my international job.

I left spurs after 9 seasons, and winning the lot, to take over at Valencia, who were struggling in the league, after 2 season of Gary Neville destroying spurs, the board sacked him and offered me the chance to go back to the lane. I accepted, thinking there would be loads of press coverage, and fans praising me, but no. It was like I had never managed them in the first place. A little disapointing in my opinion.

FM07 i saved Vincenza from relegation in serie B (managed for last 2 games of the season), promoted to serie A next season, finished 14th next season got 4th and left for Newcastle in November of 4th season, 3 years later Vincenza were back in Serie B and i had just been sacked by Arsenal and i was re-approached for the job - not much was said as i remember just the reference to a second spell in charge.... but the fans went mad with joy at having a world-class manager

Iv had the re-consider resignation on a previous game as well

I took Gateshead on a Promotion to BSp relegated and promoted again including a FA Trophy. then I decided to leave to manage in the premiership. 10 seasons have passed now and if they were ever to offer me a job back there I would jump at the chance to be honest with you.

I had the same experience as one of the posters above. Was managing USA for about 3 years, culminating in a decent performance at the world cup, going out in the second round against Argentina on penalties (coming from 2-0 down at half time with 9 men due to injuries, one of my finest FM moments!). I was also managing Wycombe in the premiership at the same time.

Resigned right after the world cup exit and like the other poster, was asked to reconsider a month or so later. I took the Argentina job instead which was offered at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived