Becoming a natural [position]

Can you make a player become a natural at a certain position? I have a player who is a natural at CM and DMC and accomplished at DC, but I swear he never used to be natural at CM. After having played at CM 29 times this season (17 club, 12 international), he seems to have attained natural CMness. Is this possible or am I going crazy? I've not retrained him or anything.

Can you make a player become a natural at a certain position? I have a player who is a natural at CM and DMC and accomplished at DC, but I swear he never used to be natural at CM. After having played at CM 29 times this season (17 club, 12 international), he seems to have attained natural CMness. Is this possible or am I going crazy? I've not retrained him or anything.

Yes you can as long as you play him in that certain position for long enough it will be his natural position.

Yes you can as long as you play him in that certain position for long enough it will be his natural position.

Are you sure about that? I've never seen it happen and it doesn't seem right that a player could become a natural in a position where he doesn't start as one because... if you're not natural at something, you never will be. You can become very good at it (accomplished, in fact), but not natural.

Yeah, he has a versatility of 17. Crazy stuff.

It does make sense though, that you can change your 'natural' position; think of players who start in one position and end up in other. Aiden McGeady is one, in FM08 he was natural AMC and now he is natural AML, for example. Keiran Richardson is another, when he was at Man Utd he was a winger and then he moved to Sunderland where Keane played him centrally.

In that case, I am disappointed. It shouldn't be possible.

Why should't it be possible?

Thierry Henrys natural position before joining Arsenal was on the wing, would you think irl that was still the case? No.

With the right mentality, training and ability a player can adapt.

It's possible to have more than one natural position. But anyway, just because Henry started on the right doesn't mean it was his natural position. He is clearly a natural striker. I just don't think you can become natural at something you're not already natural at.

It's possible to have more than one natural position. But anyway, just because Henry started on the right doesn't mean it was his natural position. He is clearly a natural striker. I just don't think you can become natural at something you're not already natural at.

Rio Ferdinand started as a striker does that mean he shouldn't be considered a natural centreback

Archived