Do you bother with tutoring?

Do you bother with tutoring?  

174 members have voted

1. 1. Do you bother with tutoring?

Tutoring is a subject I don't know everything about. Maybe I'm missing out, maybe not. I used to do tutoring for a while but now I just don't bother. Players have come out great with no tutoring, just training, loans and, if need be, changing their position to a more suitable one.

I know it can help the learner gain PPMs, but PPMs are one of the last things I care about in the game.

Do you bother with tutoring or is the risk of disruption in squad harmony too much? Or can you not just be arsed to go through all those screens?

*I haven't played FM 08 or 09 so don't know if or how this has been improved since then, mind.

I don't but I wish I did. I just never think to do it when I play the game. I think now that you can ask players to learn PPM's anyway (which I do, but have yet to have a player say he will take my advice on board, they always say they can't see what it would add to their game, even if it's a quick, skillful 20 year old striker and I've asked him to try and 'round the keeper when possible'. Rather annoying) it takes away from the tutoring and leaves only the increase in mental stats to be gained.

I'd love to know if tutoring affects anything else other than those two main things but I haven't heard about them if it does.

Tutoring for me is risky. Sometimes it works, the players end up being on each others favourite personel and the youngsters stats improve quickly.

Other times the players end up hating each other and I have to sell either my 1st team player (tutor) or my hot prospect who is eventually going to replace him but not for 3 years (tutored).

At big clubs I tutor wherever possible. In fact I've even signed (really) old players with the sole purpose of mentoring younger players. I believe it helps to raise mental attributes and perhaps accelerate their progress towards their PA, as well as gaining valuable PPMs; and frankly if I'm wrong about any of those I don't want to know because that's what I like to think is going on :p

When tutoring works out, a youngster's determination can rise considerably (if the tutor has higher determination in the first place) as well as hidden attributes like ambition and professionalism, which determines how quickly they reach their PA.

So yes, I do like tutoring them. I do not see the point of having them fall out with each other though, it's unrealistic (or better said extremely rare in reality). Why can't they just come to an agreement that it's not benefiting either of them? That's one thing I wouldn't mind seeing changed. The irony is that sometimes a player will refuse to tutor a youngster straight out, and yet they don't hate each other.

There should be a "I don't think we are going to get on, Gaffer, just want you to know that before you ask me to tutor this guy" message. Or, "we might not get on, it's a gamble".

I believe tutoring can be very effective if the players get along. It helps improve some mental stats very quickly, especially "determination". Since I love to have "very determined" squads, it's a no brainer to use tutoring so that the young ones will all be very determined.

I also usually only sign older players if they are "determined", otherwise I don't bother.

Also, I always have all my players, capable of tutoring someone, in tutor duty all the time.

And, finally, I do agree that it's a bit of a lottery, as to if it will work out or not, but it usually works pretty well. Seldom does it go wrong and, if it does, it's not a big deal.

Its all about personality if they have the same then it will work out well. If they have very different personalities then it wont work out well. Stating the obvious i know but people forget to look at them (including myself). ;)

I try to use tutoring as much as possible, there's hardly a bad effect it can cause because even if the young player finds the experience disappointing there is a line like " insert name here did state that he did manage to gain some insight to the mental aspect of the game bla bla" at the end of the message, rarely I have had 2 players fall out over tutoring process.

In my observation it helps to speed up young players progress and helps with the bonding of the squad.

I seem to get many players not getting on dutring the tutoring process. But the strange thing is, there would be no big problem between the players until a number of months afterwards, when the youngster that was tutored would say "dislikes <tutoring player here>". So annoying!

Does anyone notice their team form dip when a number of first-team players are currently tutoring younger ones? It sometimes seems like this is sort of distracting them a bit

If, for example, Keirrison 'looks up' to Robinho, I would definitely do it. Two good, quick players, who have good skill about them, and good finishing and composure.

However, if there is no mention or idols, I will do it depending on if they seem to like each other.

If an Italian, who could only speak Italian, was capable of being tutored by a German-only speaker, I wouldn't do it, but if it was both Italian, then I would... Unless the Tutor had no place in my first team, and was a waste of space...

The tutoring system is a bit too simplistic for me.

If it doesn't work I risk a disharmony and most annoyingly, my youngsters determination stats going down if the player has less determination (even sometimes when the process was successful.

I always use it now, especially to improve the determination of the squad which relates to your team playing better than they would when losing a game. I specifically signed 34 year old Michael Owen adn Owen Hargreaves to be tutors because of their high determination stats.

I use it aswell. A question for your Ozzy, Why haven't you played FM08 or 09? You're missing out.

08 isn't a big enough jump and seems inferior to 07, 09 has not been fully patched and even then I will wait for the new additions to be tweaked in a year or two. I am still playing my first proper save game career in 07. I am not missing out.

By the way, if the guy being tutored says that the experience was not good, etc, thus resulting in dropped moral for both, I just find another young player for the tutor and another tutor for the other young player. They immediately have a jump in moral again and it's all good.

I agree the system is too simplistic, there's not even an option to stop it if, for example, we did a mistake with the tutor assignment. Not too well implemented, really. Anyway, I like it and use it a lot.

If your goal is to have a squad with high determination, never use low determination tutors! Or use them only if the young player determination is even lower than the tutor. Or if the tutor still has other very good attributes and the young player still has time to be tutored by other players in the future (thus raising his determination once again).

Although poorly implemented, especially the lottery of whether tutor and tutee get on, it's essential. Apart from PPMs, good tutoring raises not only the key attribute of Determination, but a host of hidden mental attributes. So you don't 'see' the real effects but they are significant.

Tutoring is like a hidden bonus in the game. It is very effective, youngsters' attributes develop quickly as a result of it. Also, it helps improving squad harmony. The only thing you should check to make sure both the youngster and the tutor won't be unhappy as a result of the process is their personalities and basic way of playing. For instance, if you match and "unambitious" player with a "leader", there is a high probability that the tutor won't mind tutoring but the youngster would be annoyed. Also, it is always useful to make sure two players have similar style on the pitch. If you match and tall, target-man type young striker with a short, explosive type forward, there is a good chance the youngster won't get much from tutoring.

And finally, you should always take into account what to say during the initiation of the tutoring assignment. There are three options. If you choose the role model one, it requires that the tutor and the youngster are completely alike both on and off the pitch, in other words their mentalities and playing styles should be the same. This one is risky, but pays off greatly if selected wisely. For similar mentalities, I'd go for the "approach" option, whereas for similar playing styles, I usually pick the "learn" option. It took some time for me to learn all these, but recently I am getting really nice results. For instance, a young centre-back I bought in the January transfer window told me at the end of the season that he really enjoyed and benefited from his tutoring experience. The increase in his stats were really impressive and he managed to win the young player of the year award by only playing half a season for me.

Tutoring is like a hidden bonus in the game. It is very effective, youngsters' attributes develop quickly as a result of it. Also, it helps improving squad harmony. The only thing you should check to make sure both the youngster and the tutor won't be unhappy as a result of the process is their personalities and basic way of playing. For instance, if you match and "unambitious" player with a "leader", there is a high probability that the tutor won't mind tutoring but the youngster would be annoyed. Also, it is always useful to make sure two players have similar style on the pitch. If you match and tall, target-man type young striker with a short, explosive type forward, there is a good chance the youngster won't get much from tutoring.

And finally, you should always take into account what to say during the initiation of the tutoring assignment. There are three options. If you choose the role model one, it requires that the tutor and the youngster are completely alike both on and off the pitch, in other words their mentalities and playing styles should be the same. This one is risky, but pays off greatly if selected wisely. For similar mentalities, I'd go for the "approach" option, whereas for similar playing styles, I usually pick the "learn" option. It took some time for me to learn all these, but recently I am getting really nice results. For instance, a young centre-back I bought in the January transfer window told me at the end of the season that he really enjoyed and benefited from his tutoring experience. The increase in his stats were really impressive and he managed to win the young player of the year award by only playing half a season for me.

Thanks for the info! :D:thup:

Understanding the difference between role model and learning etc. is really imporant for sure ..

What's the procedure to tutor ?

What are the prerequisites in order to tutor ?

How many tutored players you can have ?

thanks

Player interaction you want to tutor: select older player to link from drop down menu. Suggest appropriate level of tutoring e.g. role model.

You need to make sure the player doing the tutoring has higher determination and influence and that they don't have conflicting personalities. As long as the player you select to do the tutoring has a good reputaiton e.g. continental the youngster will generally be a happy camper.

There's a good article on this offsite ..

Archived