The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

Ah, after 2 years of no success whatsoever it's refreshing to start a new thread and a new season with some renewed hope (as opposed to the optimistic expectation of last summer).

First mach is away to Caley Thistle where we will have already have started our CL campaign for the season.

SPL Fixtures here...

Euro Fixture Info here

Current Squad

2 Andy Webster (on loan from Wigan )

3 David Weir

4 Thomas Buffel

5 Sasa Papac

6 Barry Ferguson

7 Brahim Hemdani

8 Kevin Thomson

10 Nacho Novo

12 Ugo Ehiogu

14 Libor Sionko

15 Kris Boyd

17 Chris Burke

18 Ian Murray

19 Karl Svensson

20 Alan Hutton

22 Allan McGregor

23 Filip Sebo

25 Charlie Adam

26 Steven Smith

34 Lee Robinson

41 Alan Lowing

42 Steven Lennon

44 Paul Emslie

45 Steven Campbell

47 Dean Furman

49 Jordan McMillan

58 Scott Gallacher

59 Andrew Shinnie

63 Ross Perry

Kirk Broadfoot

Jean Claude Darcheville

Alan Gow

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously, that squad needs supplemented so I'm sure Uncle Toner will provide us with a list of possible transfer targets as per media speculation.

What sticks out immediately from the fixtures is our run of games in December...

Saturday, 15 December 2007

Rangers v Hearts

Saturday, 22 December 2007

Aberdeen v Rangers

Wednesday, 26 December 2007

Rangers v Motherwell

Saturday, 29 December 2007

Hibernian v Rangers

Wednesday, 2 January 2008

Celtic v Rangers

We need to get off to a good start first and foremost but that run of games could well decide our championship challenge for this season. The return of the New Year OF fixture will also be interesting and both teams will be eager for bragging rights - Celtic remaining undefeated in the last 2 - both at Celtic Park for the paranoid amongst us... icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Bouncerboy13:

Wp, hopefully next season you'll be in the EPL

Extremely unlikely mate... I'd prefer to say in Scotland anyway and scrap both FA's league cups to have Britisg Cup... icon_smile.gif

• SI Staff

Yas, I was crapping myself that the Old Firm game was going to fall on V Festival weekend but now I can go safe in the knowledge that we're pumping Falkirk.

Please don't come back to haunt me icon_frown.gif

Most likely that I'll miss the first OF game of the season at Ibrox. My wife us due to give birth on the 9th October and the first child is usually late so, as happened last year for me, I'll miss the game... icon_frown.gif

Bidding starts now for my ticket... icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Frankie:

Most likely that I'll miss the first OF game of the season at Ibrox. My wife us due to give birth on the 9th October and the first child is usually late so, as happened last year for me, I'll miss the game... icon_frown.gif

Congratulations and indeed our first child was very like it's mother, late!!! icon_smile.gif

I'd offer a premium for the ticket but there isn't usually a party at your end. icon_wink.gif

Potential transfer movement:

OUT:

Papac - I quite like Papac but we will get a fee for him so he may be moved on.

Svensson - depending on the ongoing Webster situation.

Buffel - again, we will get a decent fee so this inconsistent Belgian will be moved on.

Sionko - contributed little last season so I doubt he'll be here this season.

Sebo - again a big disappointment despite the odd glimpse of form. May well leave.

IN:

GK - The likes of Graeme Smith and Jamie Langfield have been mentioned. Hardly first class but both are reasonable players for next to nothing leaving money for more urgent areas of the team. Smith isn't a bad goalie at all but is he experienced enoough to make the step up and genuinely challenge McGregor.

LB - Stevie Smith remains injured so I think we may strengthen in this position. Konchesky rumours remain strong and Dinca Rat story is interesting. Ian Murray and Papac have done OK there but if one (or both) of them leaves, we need more cover.

RB - Alan Hutton was outstanding last seasojn but we lack depth in that position. Steven Whittaker provides pace, strength and versatility on that flank so is possibly worth the £1-1.5million it would take to get him. Can we afford to spend that on a player who won't be first choice unless he (or Hutton) moves into a more attacking role?

DC - The ongoing Webster situation is a difficult one so it will probably be a straight choice between him and Svensson. The signing of Cuellar also looks more and more likely. He would be a fine addition to the squad.

DM - Rumours of Brellier signing are unfounded as far as I know. However, depending on other signings we make, we may have to let Hemdani go for a reasonable fee. As such, Brellier would be a useful (and free) replacement for him.

AM/F L - We've been equally strongly linked with McCulloch and Beasley. McCulloch would be a straight replacement for Prso while Beasley would provide much needed creativity and depth. Both would be good signings but only one of them is more likely.

SC - Depending on who leaves from this area (Sebo and/or Novo) we may see at least 2 more signings for this department. Naismith we all know about and we continue to be linked heavily with Fowler (unlikely IMO), Smith (even less likely) and a couple of strikers from Italy - Andrea Caracciolo being the one name I continually hear mentioned.

No matter what happens, there will be a lot more changes between now and late July. Patience will be required but there's no doubt the quicker we do our business - the better for our CL group stage qualification prospects!

icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Frankie:

I'll take it icon_biggrin.gif

Hoping to get up to a few games this season, finance permitting, gutted I only got up once last season icon_frown.gif

'Mon Beasley signing

Originally posted by Ter:

Yas, I was crapping myself that the Old Firm game was going to fall on V Festival weekend but now I can go safe in the knowledge that we're pumping Falkirk.

Please don't come back to haunt me icon_frown.gif

Just like when you said we're guaranteed 3 points against Killie at Ibrox?

Originally posted by Eleanor_Rigby:

At least you're a bit more realistic with your potential transfers. Unlike last year when most of you thought you'd have at least half of the Lyon team coming in.

Because we were linked with by the press it doesn't mean we thought the players were coming in

Just thought i would keep you all up to date with the Naisy situation... The following is a quote from his DAD taken from a killie fansite

I have always tried to be honest on this forum and tried to keep fans updated considering the amount of rubbish that has appeared both in the press and on this forum.

I did not help the situation when after a few San Miguels on holiday i posted two posts which were made in good faith however left them without much explanation after being frustrated at what was being said. With regards to Bristol city Steven has made it clear that his preference would not be to go to England at present, in reply to the posts why did he go down to Arsenal then, he was asked to go for a few days training only, plus circumstancies change his long term girl friend has started uni on a five year course, he has moved into his flat and is settled, dont laugh but he also bought a dog which he is fond of and relies on family to look after it etc, plus many other reasons which i dont think i should have to explain on here. He also shared a room with Shaun Maloney when away with Scotland who has told him how hard it has been to settle down there, this has just reinforced his views. He is within his rights to decide where he will go just as Killie have a right to say he aint going nowhere or he will only go if the club receive x amount.

On the Celtic situation as previously posted on here they have seven forwards at present and he has stated that he wants to play, think he would need some reassurance that this would be the case before considering them.

The other old firm team will have to make the club a proper and substantial offer if he is to consider moving to them.

Naisy has not put in a transfer request therefore he will move only if the club receive an offer they cant refuse and they want to accept it, if it happens it will be because Killie have accepted a bid and the player receives an offer he cant refuse.

I also have to comment on posts which suggest that he has a lack of ambition wanting to go to the old firm there is not a player in this country that would not view a move to any of them as as anything but a step up and i am sure that very few would turn down a move to any of them if it was offered. I am aware that this is not what fans want to hear however this is the truth.

I have thought long and hard about wether i should consider posting on here as i have realised that no matter what happens someone will not like what is being said.

I have received many positive comments and praise on how sensible Steven is and how that some of this must be down to his upbringing etc then read items about the wrong advice he is now receiving from his family. Ultimately Steven will decide not his family.

On a lighter note his tattoos are the numbers 20 10 and 14 which are the numbers of his initials s =20 j=10 n=14 and where they are in the alphabet.

He has also been invited to the Queens garden party in July and i dont want any posts suggesting that this is because he has been linked to Rangers.

He has not had any word from Killie re any bids and he assumes mutch of what is being written is paper talk designed to sell newspapers.

The family appreciate the support of the majority of fans and understand that they have the interests of the club at heart, however they must also realise the stress we are under from all angles.

I hope that this post is helpfull and does not add to the problem.

Oh one other point to clarify things i am originally from Glasgow and was a Rangers supporter, Naisy as a kid followed his dad and supported Rangers, he confirmed this in one of last seasons programmes, however he signed an s form with Killie at 13 and then became a ball boy and he became a Killie fan. He was at the cup final in 1997 supporting Killie. I have to be honest and say that i found it difficult with divided loyalties when Naisy first got in the first team and played against Rangers however i am now a proud Killie fan who was delighted when he scored the last minute equaliser against the gers and also was delighted and celebrated when he scored the winner at ibrox.

Again i am waiting for the flack for discosing this

• SI Staff
DM - Rumours of Brellier signing are unfounded as far as I know. However, depending on other signings we make, we may have to let Hemdani go for a reasonable fee. As such, Brellier would be a useful (and free) replacement for him.

Seems like there is some solid interest and talks are underway unless his agent is talking pish.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/14062007/58/spl-brellier-talks-rangers.html

I would take him. Very good player icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">DM - Rumours of Brellier signing are unfounded as far as I know. However, depending on other signings we make, we may have to let Hemdani go for a reasonable fee. As such, Brellier would be a useful (and free) replacement for him.

Seems like there is some solid interest and talks are underway unless his agent is talking pish.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/14062007/58/spl-brellier-talks-rangers.html

I would take him. Very good player icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why didn't Hearts renew his contract?

• SI Staff
I suspect your trying to sign Brellier so we swoop in and pinch him, I hope not as he's gash.

I've always been impressed with Brellier when I've seen him play, he's not that bad is he?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I suspect your trying to sign Brellier so we swoop in and pinch him, I hope not as he's gash.

I've always been impressed with Brellier when I've seen him play, he's not that bad is he? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn it Ter, when you respond to my baiting with reasoned chit chat I feel bad.

He's alright tbh

From Wiki

Julien Brellier (born 10 January 1982, in Echirolles) is a French professional footballer currently unattached after leaving Scottish Premier League club Hearts. He is a defensive midfielder who plays just in front of the back four.

Brellier started his career at French club Montpellier and was recruited by Italian giants Internazionale Milan in 2000. He made a limited number of appearances with Inter and was loaned out to Lecco and Legnano before joining Venezia, initially under a co-ownership agreement. He played part of the 2004-05 season with Salernitana and was released in May 2005. He was given a trial by Hearts, where he impressed manager George Burley and was signed on a two year deal by the Edinburgh side in August. [1]

Brellier quickly became a firm favourite with the Hearts fans: his unspectacular, diligent covering role in midfield allowing fellow midfielders Paul Hartley and Rudi Skácel greater attacking freedom, from which they scored a combined total of 30 league goals during the 2005-06 season. By the latter part of that season a giant French flag, with the words "Le Juge" emblazoned across it, became a regular spectacle at Hearts' home stadium Tynecastle, while the crowd took to singing his name to the tune of Verdi's La donna è mobile.

Despite Brellier being one of the most popular players at Tynecastle, it was frequently reported in the media that Hearts' owner Vladimir Romanov did not share the supporters' high opinion of him. [2] After the signing of Bruno Aguiar Brellier was used more often as a substitute and, in an April 2006 interview, he suggested he was unhappy with the treatment he had received. [3] However in June 2006 it was confirmed that Brellier had agreed to extend his stay with Hearts until 2007. [4]

The 2006-07 season continued in a similar vein to the previous year for Brellier, with the Frenchman starting less than half of Hearts' games. His cause was not helped by a controversial sending-off in the Maroons Champions League qualifying round defeat to AEK Athens [5] Following much speculation during the season, in May 2007 it was confirmed that he would leave Hearts, after rejecting a final contract offer.[6]

On the 14th of June, Brellier's agent, the brother of former Manchester United star Eric Cantona, confirmed that the player was in talks over a possible move to Rangers.

So he left hearts because he didn't get a game. I can't see what makes him think he'll get ahead of Thommo, Fergie and Hemdani.

• SI Staff
So he left hearts because he didn't get a game. I can't see what makes him think he'll get ahead of Thommo, Fergie and Hemdani

I think the difference is that at Rangers if he plays well he will get in the team and keep his place. At Hearts he was always going to be a 'reserve' and only get games as a sub or if there were injuries.

Originally posted by ibroxhero:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lovenkrands01:

Is it true Giorgos Efrem has signed for us for free by the way? I'm hearing rumours but nothing concrete. Good player in FM. icon_smile.gif

No idea who he is. Where does he play? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

According to FM AMR.

17 year old cypriat from Arsnal

Originally posted by Jim Bob Bean Bag:

I suspect your trying to sign Brellier so we swoop in and pinch him, I hope not as he's gash.

Actually, you're pretty spot on. All I've ever seen him do is kick people and fall about diving.

Never a footballer, and I'd be disappointed if we signed him.

Originally posted by Gudge:

anyone know where/how/when pocket fixture lists are available?

everytime i've had one we've won the league, so if i don't get one for this season we won win the league, no pressue

If Rangers win the league this coming season I will post pictures of my c0ck and balls.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So he left hearts because he didn't get a game. I can't see what makes him think he'll get ahead of Thommo, Fergie and Hemdani

I think the difference is that at Rangers if he plays well he will get in the team and keep his place. At Hearts he was always going to be a 'reserve' and only get games as a sub or if there were injuries. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was because Vlad never really rated him (some say it was due to all that Vlad - Burley malarkey), nothing to do with his ability. However, the flip side being he's way too temperamental when it came to important games and more often than not got sent off for stupid things. Like many Hearts fans though, I wish he had stayed and been given a regular slot within the team, but it was never going to happen.

Originally posted by Hairy Coo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gudge:

anyone know where/how/when pocket fixture lists are available?

everytime i've had one we've won the league, so if i don't get one for this season we won win the league, no pressue

If Rangers win the league this coming season I will post pictures of my c0ck and balls. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If Rangers donn't win the league I'll post pictures of mine

When is the 10 year anniversary game of 9 in a row?

Also does anybody know who will be playing? Gazza has just had an operation so i doubt he'll be playing. Any word on Laudrup, Hateley, Butcher etc.

I will be in Tallin on said date. icon_cool.gif

A shame, because I was really looking forward to seeing Laudrup again at Derby last year.

Gaz, I've had a bit of a fiddle with some of the files, but have had a hectic week at work - I have Sunday, Monday, Tuesday off though, so will hopefully have something for you to work with by then.

I saw a rather worrying story in the NotW today with regards to Smith being interested in signing Danny ****ing Mills....

I'd be very very worried if this over-rated waster is one of our targets. How the guy ever got into the England squad i'll never know.

Archived