Just a thought on the bojan bug?

i will edit as many contracts so that it allows me to feel like the game is not unrealistic, i mean i know some smaller lesser known players will still be out of contract when they shouldnt but imo that doesnt bother me too much. just the main ones like bojan, sturridge, thiago. even though in my current save it says bojans contract is still going to expire in 2011, he is just on 55 p/w and in the under 18s with a youth contract!

I know I'll seem blind and/or stupid to most, but I'm yet to really experience this in FM09. If anything, clubs seem to do too well a job of keeping their star youngsters. I make an effort to sign most of the very very highly rated youngsters that my scouts find, and I ensure you that a lot of them are very expensive and I've only found a couple decent (at best) youngsters to sign on frees who I have profited from. I've spent upwards of AU$30mil on 16 year olds, and I simply couldn't imagine coming across a potentially amazing player for free, such is the rarity of this. I know the the 'bug' is only named after him but refers to all players in this situation, but just as one example, Bojan is very happy at Barcelona with a long and healthy contract. In 2015 I searched the most expensive players between 22-25 (the Bojan era, if you will) and of the top 20 I found the following:

-7 had been transferred once, most of these were what I consider big money moves

-7 had transferred multiple times, most having moved for a considerable price fairly early on before attracting a huge transfer fee a couple seasons later

-4 were still at their original clubs

-just 2 had moved on frees, and for very justifiable reasons. One player had played just 8 competitive games in the 2 seasons before his bosman move, before making 22 appearances in the next season at his new club. The other was stuck at a 2nd division club before his free transfer allowed a move to a first division club. The season after he was sold to a divisional rival for AU$32mil.

Maybe this, being my only FM09 game, has been exceptionally lucky in that the Bojan Bug has been largely unnoticeable, or maybe it's just not a problem?

I know I'll seem blind and/or stupid to most, but I'm yet to really experience this in FM09. If anything, clubs seem to do too well a job of keeping their star youngsters. I make an effort to sign most of the very very highly rated youngsters that my scouts find, and I ensure you that a lot of them are very expensive and I've only found a couple decent (at best) youngsters to sign on frees who I have profited from. I've spent upwards of AU$30mil on 16 year olds, and I simply couldn't imagine coming across a potentially amazing player for free, such is the rarity of this. I know the the 'bug' is only named after him but refers to all players in this situation, but just as one example, Bojan is very happy at Barcelona with a long and healthy contract. In 2015 I searched the most expensive players between 22-25 (the Bojan era, if you will) and of the top 20 I found the following:

-7 had been transferred once, most of these were what I consider big money moves

-7 had transferred multiple times, most having moved for a considerable price fairly early on before attracting a huge transfer fee a couple seasons later

-4 were still at their original clubs

-just 2 had moved on frees, and for very justifiable reasons. One player had played just 8 competitive games in the 2 seasons before his bosman move, before making 22 appearances in the next season at his new club. The other was stuck at a 2nd division club before his free transfer allowed a move to a first division club. The season after he was sold to a divisional rival for AU$32mil.

Maybe this, being my only FM09 game, has been exceptionally lucky in that the Bojan Bug has been largely unnoticeable, or maybe it's just not a problem?

In my saves with FM09 with the 9.2.0 patch I have experienced the following in all of them:

* AI controlled clubs free transfer (or don´t care to extend the contracts of - ) young players with good PA. Both real life players and new/regens. As mentioned in other threads the very same club might very well buy back the same player a year later for 50 million punds.

* AI controlled clubs never ever buy players to let them mature in their U-20 and U18 teams. If such thing has happened for anyone I´d be more than happy to hear about it.

* AI controlled clubs sell very talented players for next to nothing. One example from my last save: I noticed a 16 year old newgen/regen in the italian national U-19 team some years into the game, that had scored some ten goals in just a couple of international games. I looked at him with FMRTE, and not only had he very good stats, he also had a CA of over 90 and a PA of 190-ish. You would imagine his Milan would know this guy is the player of the future. Just for fun I tried to buy him. Milan wanted £20000.

Again: if anyone have seen a club reject a bid because the player is "an important player for the future", please let me know.

I know I have repeated most of this over and over again in other threads, but I am just so amazed some don´t have experienced these huge logical flaws.

In my saves with FM09 with the 9.2.0 patch I have experienced the following in all of them:

* AI controlled clubs free transfer (or don´t care to extend the contracts of - ) young players with good PA. Both real life players and new/regens. As mentioned in other threads the very same club might very well buy back the same player a year later for 50 million punds.

* AI controlled clubs never ever buy players to let them mature in their U-20 and U18 teams. If such thing has happened for anyone I´d be more than happy to hear about it.

* AI controlled clubs sell very talented players for next to nothing. One example from my last save: I noticed a 16 year old newgen/regen in the italian national U-19 team some years into the game, that had scored some ten goals in just a couple of international games. I looked at him with FMRTE, and not only had he very good stats, he also had a CA of over 90 and a PA of 190-ish. You would imagine his Milan would know this guy is the player of the future. Just for fun I tried to buy him. Milan wanted £20000 for him.

Again: if anyone have seen a club reject a bid because the player is "an importand player of for the future", please let me know.

I know I have repeated most of this over and over again in other threads, but I am just so amazed some don´t have experienced these huge logical flaws.

Does this happen in every season or just season 1? I must admit i really have't noticed this at all but maybe i am not paying that much attention to other teams. :confused:

@Viking: Cheers for the answer.

Does this happen in every season or just season 1? I must admit i really have't noticed this at all but maybe i am not paying that much attention to other teams. :confused:

In every season. Must say I find it odd you haven´t noticed any of it. Have you seen clubs buy youth players for the future?

In every season. Must say I find it odd you haven´t noticed any of it. Have you seen clubs buy youth players for the future?

Not really. Bojan is still at Barca, Sturridge left in 2009/2010 on a free to Spurs (Possible one people mean), Sakho still at PSG, Piatti joined Almeria for £5.5m, Buonanotte still at River. This is some player hat are quite highly rated in the game. Is it any clubs or the big clubs buying up all youngsters?

I would have to have a right good look though in the game to see which players have been snapped up if indeed they have.

I picked up Bojan for my Inter team on a free and that is considered as a "poor piece of business" by the board and the fans...now he's worth £7 million and they still moan.

I get that when I sign Sturridge on a free. Another proof that the AI in FM09 despises players who is not ready to step right into the first team, no matter how talented they are.

Yeah - it's true - it's not just a Bojan bug - the AI has extremely little ability to judge future talent. In a previous game, I bought a 16 YO regen central midfielder from Barcelona listed as "not needed by club" who had obvious ability (creativity of 16, first touch 15, etc.), and who my scout said had the potential to be a "leading premiership central midfielder". A year or less later, after regularly playing for my prem team, he was described as a "wonderkid", and loads of teams were interested in him including Barcelona. Stuff like this happens all the time.

The thing that gets me about this 'bug' is that people are complaining about something based on a figure that is not known. Not known unless you own a game called FM, that is. AI clubs don't know the PA of players, they only know the CA (or at least their opinion of the CA).

Maybe these clubs don't feel like keeping hold of Bojan et al. Maybe Bojan et al don't want to renew their contracts. Bojan went on a free to PSV in my game and I find that plausible enough.

I'm not saying there's not a bug where young players are concerned but I do think it's blown out of proportion and that there are ways to get around it in your mind.

It's certainly not a game killer, is it? Perhaps I'm too happy to accept things, but I'm more concerned that top clubs rarely seem to buy anyone at all. The top four in England have bought about 4 players between them in 2 seasons on my game.

I'm sure SI are on the case and everything will be hunky dory after 9.3.0. If it stops the constant barrage of 'Bojan' threads then everything will be even more hunky dory.

I've got Bojan on a free in my game with spurs at the start of the second season, started with 9.2 patch. (won league, uefa cup n league cup in 1st season). Dunno if he'll play, with my strikers on top form. If not hopefully someone wants him for big money.

The thing that gets me about this 'bug' is that people are complaining about something based on a figure that is not known. Not known unless you own a game called FM, that is. AI clubs don't know the PA of players, they only know the CA (or at least their opinion of the CA).

Maybe these clubs don't feel like keeping hold of Bojan et al. Maybe Bojan et al don't want to renew their contracts. Bojan went on a free to PSV in my game and I find that plausible enough.

I'm not saying there's not a bug where young players are concerned but I do think it's blown out of proportion and that there are ways to get around it in your mind.

It's certainly not a game killer, is it? Perhaps I'm too happy to accept things, but I'm more concerned that top clubs rarely seem to buy anyone at all. The top four in England have bought about 4 players between them in 2 seasons on my game.

I'm sure SI are on the case and everything will be hunky dory after 9.3.0. If it stops the constant barrage of 'Bojan' threads then everything will be even more hunky dory.

I don't see any way that could be accurate. What makes you think PA doesn't factor into the equation when the AI is making an evaluation of a player?

I don't see any way that could be accurate. What makes you think PA doesn't factor into the equation when the AI is making an evaluation of a player?

You have totally misunderstood what I meant. If every scout and coach, at every club in the game, knew the exact PA of every player then the AI would have a major advantage. There has to be a scaling degree ascertained by the ability of the scout or coach to judge potential.

We, looking in, can see the actual PA of a player, and we know the players from the real world. We see things in a different way than the games coaches will see it.

Some coach at Barcelona may not think that Bojan is worth keeping. Just cause you know his PA is huge, doesn't mean that coach does.

Now maybe that is a problem with the way the game deals with coaches ability to read PA.

I may be wrong, but I thought that was what the attributes for CA and PA govern; the ability of coaches to come to an idea of a player's PA.

* AI controlled clubs sell very talented players for next to nothing. One example from my last save: I noticed a 16 year old newgen/regen in the italian national U-19 team some years into the game, that had scored some ten goals in just a couple of international games. I looked at him with FMRTE, and not only had he very good stats, he also had a CA of over 90 and a PA of 190-ish. You would imagine his Milan would know this guy is the player of the future. Just for fun I tried to buy him. Milan wanted £20000.

Again: if anyone have seen a club reject a bid because the player is "an important player for the future", please let me know.

i have had an 18 year old regen bought by chelsea, however it was for 30m and he plays for their 1st team.

irl not many teams buy really young players for the future. All the big clubs get good regen youngsters from other countries in their academy each year, which is just like signing them

Maybe this bug have something with scouting acuracy!!!

In previous versions scouts (and coach reports) were very acurate, but in this version ther aren't. So maybe for example Barcelona's coaches don't rate Bojan as player with big PA.

For example in my game with lower Serbian club, my relatively good scout told that player with CA 120 and PA 199 has potential to be just like some of my player (who btw have CA of 100).

picked up bojan july 09 for free at celtic, played 6 friendlies, scored 8 goals, 1st spl game broke his leg out for 6months

Ouch. I've just picked up bojan with man utd. not played yet as in pre season but he will go in as one of my first team straight away

Archived