Brilliant touch SI - but surely a pen?

First time ever in nearly 65 season of FM08.

I have a corner, and the GK pushes over my forward. The ref blows up, gives the GK a Yellow Card and the game continues from the corner. Brilliant that the keeper got booked, but surely it warranted a pen???

First time ever in nearly 65 season of FM08.

I have a corner, and the GK pushes over my forward. The ref blows up, gives the GK a Yellow Card and the game continues from the corner. Brilliant that the keeper got booked, but surely it warranted a pen???

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daniel Foster:

Had the corner been taken / come into play? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, the player was running over to the corner flag.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frazza Pee:

Then it's not a pen </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've seen it given IRL in the prem before. So why not?

Just so you have my comment as belief, it was Arsenal v Spuds, Jens Lemon pushed over Robbie Keane, while the corner man was waiting to take the corner, and Robbie Keane went on to score the pen. I THINK it was late last season, may have been late the season before that. (possibly even the last game, IIRC)

Frazza Pee: You're not wrong. The referee is wrong (assuming NepentheZ got the story right).

It's only a penalty if the ball is in play. Otherwise, there's no foul, only an incident of unsporting behaviour (a yellow card offence).

If the ball isn't in play, it shouldn't be a penalty. If the example NepentheZ is thinking of actually happened like he said, the referee should have been strung up for not knowing the laws.

One of the penal offences (Law XII) has to be performed by a player on an opponent within his own penalty area while the ball is in play for a penalty to be given.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">NepentheZ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

NepentheZ is right it was the Arsenal season they went unbeaten

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glamdring:

Definitely sounds like real life was wrong (i.e. the referee) in that case.

Otherwise, someone starting a brawl in his own penalty area with the ball out of play would concede a penalty if he got a booking icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I remember correctly, Jens and Keane were having a big of argy bargy before the corner was taken, and Jens were carded for pushing Keane away.

Then the corner was taken, Jens pushed him again and the ref gave the penalty. So I think he got it right.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kipfizh:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glamdring:

Otherwise, someone starting a brawl in his own penalty area with the ball out of play would concede a penalty if he got a booking icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I remember correctly, Jens and Keane were having a big of argy bargy before the corner was taken, and Jens were carded for pushing Keane away.

Then the corner was taken, Jens pushed him again and the ref gave the penalty. So I think he got it right. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the key then. If the ball was in play then it's a foul in the penalty area like any other.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kipfizh:

Then the corner was taken, Jens pushed him again and the ref gave the penalty. So I think he got it right. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That actually makes sense. Now that you mention it, it rekindled my memory, and is indeed the way it happened. Cheers.

Sorry about a pointless thread, then. icon_frown.gif

Nice to see SI's trademark attention to detail flummox you Nep...lol.

However, your post has reminded me of an area where they may have slipped up. The other day my striker was flagged offside after my winger crossed to him, but I swear the ball never went forward. It went square or even slightly back if anything but still - offside.

I am solely going by the 2D representation as there was no detail in the commentary but still...

Anyone else had this anomaly?

I've had a goal conceded against me when my goalkeeper went up for a corner. I had one player back to defend.

Of course the ball got cleared and it was two attackers vs my one defender at the back. The attacker carried the ball into my half, where the other striker was, and shot at goal. The ball bounced off the post, and the other striker beat my slow defender to tap it in.

Surely, that should have been given offside, as I only had 1 player behind the ball when the first shot came in.

Archived