Caretaker Manager.

Steam downloads it automatically for you.

Being a caretaker manager would just be like deciding to have 'Automatic' as past-experience.

You'd get less respect, and the fans wouldn't be as pleased.

To be honest I'm not sure why an ex-international with no prior experience in managing would get the respect he does from fans.

If Pele were to right now take over Arsenal I would be far less pleased as compared to someone like Hughes taking over.

To be honest I'm not sure why an ex-international with no prior experience in managing would get the respect he does from fans.

If Pele were to right now take over Arsenal I would be far less pleased as compared to someone like Hughes taking over.

You'd rather Hughes than Pele? :S WTF?

Besides, Hughes is an experience player anybody.

He played for United...

I understand what you mean anyway.

Also, I didn't mean from fans. I was talking of the players giving the manager the respect they deserve...

A player would respect Pele, because they know he is an icon throughout the world.

Whereas they wouldn't really respect somebody who never played at a professional level.

You'd rather Hughes than Pele? :S WTF?

Besides, Hughes is an experience player anybody.

He played for United...

I understand what you mean anyway.

Also, I didn't mean from fans. I was talking of the players giving the manager the respect they deserve...

A player would respect Pele, because they know he is an icon throughout the world.

Whereas they wouldn't really respect somebody who never played at a professional level.

No, just a general comment, really. Only quoted your post because of its relevance.

Personally, even as a player, I'd be more inclined to respect a manager who knows his stuff rather than someone who purely has a footballing reputation. By respect I mean it in a footballer respecting his manager sense, i.e. following tactical instructions and the like, and not in the conventional sense.

No, just a general comment, really. Only quoted your post because of its relevance.

Personally, even as a player, I'd be more inclined to respect a manager who knows his stuff rather than someone who purely has a footballing reputation. By respect I mean it in a footballer respecting his manager sense, i.e. following tactical instructions and the like, and not in the conventional sense.

Wow, just read my own quote. Really screwed up on the English there. Dunno what I was typing...

Anyway, I agree with you. It shouldn't really matter about past-experience, but if it's your new manager's first ever job, you'd much rather have Pele than a random guy who played amateur football, right?

Pele maybe wouldn't be the better choice, but on first speculation, he'd be the obvious choice.

For me, anyway. He would.

Wow, just read my own quote. Really screwed up on the English there. Dunno what I was typing...

Anyway, I agree with you. It shouldn't really matter about past-experience, but if it's your new manager's first ever job, you'd much rather have Pele than a random guy who played amateur football, right?

Pele maybe wouldn't be the better choice, but on first speculation, he'd be the obvious choice.

For me, anyway. He would.

Yeah, true on that. I just think being a 'Pele' in that sense gives you too much more of an advantage than you actually should have.

In real life, I'd expect the difference to be far less significant, bordering on the insignificant to be honest.

Managerial experience is what counts. In my opinion at least.

But yeah, I suppose it would definitely be the better choice ahead of a complete random, as you say.

I don't think that we should be able to be a traditional caretaker manager but I do think that there should sometimes be offers from clubs of a short term contract, such as the final few months of a season until they can find a better manager for the job. e.g. Leeds fire their boss but can't find a manager who they want to take over full time so you get a contract offer for 3 months, during which you can try and prove that you are good enough to be the full time manager.

Having read a thread title on managing a match instead of a career. Would anyone else like the introduction of being a caretaker boss in the game?

Thoughts.........

I would definitely like this to be introduced into the game:thup: (next years, perhaps). I have thought about this and spoken about it with fellow players a few times in recent years, I was talking about this last week, actually. I think it would be good for the game in that it makes it more realistic and in recent years there have been more and more experienced-caretaker managers in the game (e.g: Joe Kinnear at Newcaste) taking charge of various clubs for, perhaps 2-4 matches or so on, without signing a permenant contract, IMO.;)

Archived