Do you believe your strikers will score when one-on-one?

Do you believe your strikers will score when one-on-one?  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe your strikers will score when one-on-one?

• Yes
    • No

How many of you now believe your striker will score when presented with a one-on-one opportunity?

When my striker is put clean through on goal, I now expect to be disappointed by him hitting the bar/post/goalkeeper, or blazing it over or wide.

"How did he miss that?"

"He should've done better!"

"He won't want to dwell on that"

I see these little snippets of commentary (and/or variants of) for the entirety of each and every match I play, even for the opposition.

Fernando Torres is banging the goals in for me atm, he's won goal of the month a couple of times with an almost identical goal: Left side edge of the box, curled into the right top-corner around the keepers dive. Looks glorious :thup:

Then a couple of minutes later, he'll only have to dink it past the keeper into the corner, yet he'll blaze it into to stands etc... :mad:

Technically I haven't started a career yet. I have, however began a couple of practice careers, just to tinker and tweak my tactics. I'm now off my most recent career, and finally I've found a tactic worthy of a real career. I'm now at a stage where I'm ready. I'm just waiting on the third patch before I begin a career.

Anyway.

In my previous practice career I found that my team were scoring a very high majority of our shots on target. We scored around 90% of our shots that found the target, including tons of 1 on 1's.

It's as much about your tactics as it is your players. At least that's what I've found.

I just can't wait till the third patch gets released.

So, my answer is "Yes"

Technically I haven't started a career yet. I have, however began a couple of practice careers, just to tinker and tweak my tactics. I'm now off my most recent career, and finally I've found a tactic worthy of a real career. I'm now at a stage where I'm ready. I'm just waiting on the third patch before I begin a career.

Anyway.

In my previous practice career I found that my team were scoring a very high majority of our shots on target. We scored around 90% of our shots that found the target, including tons of 1 on 1's.

It's as much about your tactics as it is your players. At least that's what I've found.

So, my answer is "Yes"

What kind of 1 on 1's are you getting?

What kind of 1 on 1's are you getting?

you have to interact with your strikers so that your instructions compliment their strong attributes. like i did with torres, rounding the keeper is good because of his high pace stats. someone with a good long shot and accuracy but who is not fast, try lobbing the keeper. a very accurate striker ask him to find the corners.

you have to interact with your strikers so that your instructions compliment their strong attributes. like i did with torres, rounding the keeper is good because of his high pace stats. someone with a good long shot and accuracy but who is not fast, try lobbing the keeper. a very accurate striker ask him to find the corners.

Ronaldo in real life is really good in finishing clear cut chances, and I'd say he's fairly accurately represented in FM in terms of his attributes and PPM's.

Yet he always seems to blast it straight the keeper for me?

And he's not willing to unlearn it to learn something else.

For what it's worth, though, I'm not having much trouble with my other forwards who have likes to round keeper and places shots.

Anyway.

So, my answer is "Yes"

And that's the ridiculous thing about it, tactics shouldn't determine whether a striker is able to beat the goalkeeper one-on-one or not.

And that's the ridiculous thing about it, tactics shouldn't determine whether a striker is able to beat the goalkeeper one-on-one or not.

I wasn't talking about one on ones exclusively.

I can only speak for me here. The tactics and formation that I use are unorthodox and it's extremely difficult for the opposition to get a proper handle on. I think this is the prime reason why my team scores such a high percentage of their shots on target.

I've got two good strikers, so that helps, somewhat. ;)

Nope. But then, I don't expect it in IRL either, so that sounds pretty accurate.

Yeah, I'm trying to think how often I've seen a Manchester United striker score a one-on-one this season and, off the top of my head, I honestly can't.

So far, 77.59% of people who voted don't believe their strikers will score when presented with a golden opportunity.

I'm not sure how realistic that is, but if someone (some clever clogs) wants to find out how many one-on-ones are actually scored IRL, it would be interesting.

In fairness to FM, despite my starting this thread, I am really enjoying the game atm. I'm winning matches and my players are scoring. There just seems to be a massive amount of missed chances and I think it's something that needs working on.

Perhaps the ME needs to be tightened up in order to stop teams creating so many chances, but at the same time; make the strikers more clinical so that when they DO get that "golden chance" they are more likely to put it away.

If my strikers were clinical atm; we'd be winning matches 15-0 or something silly like that, and it just feels as though they miss them intentionally in order to keep scores down to a realistic level.

Thoughts?

One of my strikers usually does well one-on-one. He normally attempts to round the keeper or passes the ball into the bottom corner, which I'm guessing is to do with his exceptional composure. The other guy, who still has pretty good finishing and composure, I expect him to balloon it over the bar, and he invariably does.

Yet ANOTHER thread about something that totally misses the mark. Of course strikers are gonna flub their finish. If they didn't, the scores would be much too high. The problem isn't poor performance when 1v1; that's just the bandaid for the real problem, which is...

...too many 1v1 opportunities are created by the ME. Through balls are too accurate, the vision needed to decide to play them is too great, the runs needed to get on them are too anticipatory, defenders take poor routes to the ball and might be positioned poorly, and probably some other factors contribute as well. Thing is, you can't just go changing things to fix the creation of 1v1 chances without messing up something else in the ME.

Remember, in FM08, when DMs would hold the ball? And hold it, and hold it, until an opposition ST would walk up to them, steal it, and score? My, how the forums sang their faults. Well, the DMs weren't seeing passing opportunities within their instructions, so SI turned up their vision and decision-making. Now, they see too much, and we get too many 1v1s. Fix one thing, mess up another.

But everyone loves to complain, don't they?

Cut it out, guys. There is at least a thread a day about this, and they are past the point of being boring and repetitive. Not to mention, just plain off target...funny, the irony in that... ;)

The answer to this is the same as to the following questions...

1) Do I believe my defenders will cut out basic balls when positioned to do so?

2) Do I believe my fullbacks will mark and close down as instructed?

3) Do I believe I can keep possession from a throw-in?

4) Do I believe I can go a match without getting a 1-2 month injury?

5) Do I honestly believe any of these issues will actually be fixed in 9.0.3?

Perhaps the ME needs to be tightened up in order to stop teams creating so many chances, but at the same time; make the strikers more clinical so that when they DO get that "golden chance" they are more likely to put it away.

If my strikers were clinical atm; we'd be winning matches 15-0 or something silly like that

And then someone totally ignores what I just said and posts this:

Yet ANOTHER thread about something that totally misses the mark. Of course strikers are gonna flub their finish. If they didn't, the scores would be much too high. The problem isn't poor performance when 1v1; that's just the bandaid for the real problem, which is...

...too many 1v1 opportunities are created by the ME. Through balls are too accurate, the vision needed to decide to play them is too great, the runs needed to get on them are too anticipatory, defenders take poor routes to the ball and might be positioned poorly, and probably some other factors contribute as well. Thing is, you can't just go changing things to fix the creation of 1v1 chances without messing up something else in the ME.

Remember, in FM08, when DMs would hold the ball? And hold it, and hold it, until an opposition ST would walk up to them, steal it, and score? My, how the forums sang their faults. Well, the DMs weren't seeing passing opportunities within their instructions, so SI turned up their vision and decision-making. Now, they see too much, and we get too many 1v1s. Fix one thing, mess up another.

But everyone loves to complain, don't they?

Cut it out, guys. There is at least a thread a day about this, and they are past the point of being boring and repetitive. Not to mention, just plain off target...funny, the irony in that... ;)

Not only did you hit the bar, and the post; but you blazed high, wide and anything but handsome.... :rolleyes:

1) No

2) Never

3) Not sure...

4) No!

5) Yes. To be replaced by a new set on complaints, probably along the lines of "There are too many high scoring matches".

I hope to God that SI take the experience they have gleaned with the current ME and re-write it such that it requires fewer kludges to generate statistically accurate matches.

And then someone totally ignores what I just said and posts this:

...didn't ignore it. Just didn't read it. :o After the first 20 posts all said roughly the same thing, I just scroll-wheeled down to the bottom.

Not only did you hit the bar, and the post; but you blazed high, wide and anything but handsome.... :rolleyes:

??? are you saying you disagree with my post? Seems to me we're on the same page...I just went into more detail.

??? are you saying you disagree with my post? Seems to me we're on the same page...I just went into more detail.

No, I don't disagree.

For what it's worth, misinterpretation is commonplace on a public forum.

Anyway, we're on the same page now :thup:

Agree with SSGTroyer. No matter how frustrating it may be to see your world class striker miss several one on ones in a single match, it still simply an indirect solution to overly effective through passes and awful defending. At this time midfielders are making passes that are worthy in skill and vision of Zidane. SI needs to tweak that, plus the defending itself is rather flawed. I'm sure many of you have witnessed your own center backs looking like they're suffering from narcolepsy when there's a ball going right over the top or a striker being completely free in between the two backs.

One-on-ones are not really as easy as they look. If the goalie is on his game he will make himself big enough to put the forward off. Any goalie can really narrow an angle in that situation. Then it comes down to the mentality of the forward.

The goalie has relatively little to lose. The forward has it all to win, hence more pressure.

I voted yes because I have a pacey forward who is great for rounding the keeper. I would have voted another option if it was available, however, as I feel that, whilst he tucks a fair few away, I would never expect the guy I mentioned to finish them all off.

So I guess my answer would have been, 'it depends'.

I'm guessing you're being sarcastic, but I also think you're far too negative and very damning of a game in which the points you make are nowhere near as bad as you obviously think they are.

All can be beaten with the correct tactics and/or training regimes. I can only guess you are being a bad manager that blames his tools. There'll be leaves on the line next.

For the record;

1) My defenders cut out 95% of balls. Their colleagues will cut out missed ones because they work well as a team.

2) Yes, they do. I play wing backs, as opposed to full backs, and they do a fine job of getting back to close down wingers. Often my two best players.

3) Defensive throw ins seem to be the biggest problem, but even then I rarely find myself in lumber. I think I have a damn good record of scoring from attacking throw ins. Get a better throw taker or sort out your tactics if you're having problems.

4) My injury situation is not all problematic. Up your strength and aerobic training. The best way to do this is to assign training schedules to a number of different positions, rather than just a general schedule. That way you don't have to cram training for all positions in to one schedule, and you can assign more to strength and aerobics.

5) Patch 9.0.2 is very good. There are niggles, but when you find a tactic that works and have players that have gelled you will be amazed at how fluent this game is.

Sounds to me like you have been seriously negative and not given things a chance to work. No manager can be expected to achieve immediate results with a new team, or at least it is rare.

I'm guessing you're being sarcastic, but I also think you're far too negative and very damning of a game in which the points you make are nowhere near as bad as you obviously think they are.

I bet you say that to all the moaners <3 xox

All can be beaten with the correct tactics and/or training regimes. I can only guess you are being a bad manager that blames his tools. There'll be leaves on the line next.

I am sure they can be defeated by the correct tactics. Working out what these correct tactics are from what you are seeing on the 3D is the bigger issue for me.

For the record;

1) My defenders cut out 95% of balls. Their colleagues will cut out missed ones because they work well as a team.

Good stuff. Mine run the wrong way, run on the spot and run sideways like a crab. I've uploaded PKMs and been asked to beta test by PaulC because of stuff I highlighted to do with the movement of defenders.

2) Yes, they do. I play wing backs, as opposed to full backs, and they do a fine job of getting back to close down wingers. Often my two best players.

Again, I've seen multiple PKMs uploaded highlighting the movement of fullbacks and seen wwfan acknowledge the running line they take when defending is seriously flawed. Maybe it is different with wingbacks?

3) Defensive throw ins seem to be the biggest problem, but even then I rarely find myself in lumber. I think I have a damn good record of scoring from attacking throw ins. Get a better throw taker or sort out your tactics if you're having problems.

Not sure how much difference a good throw-in taker is going to make when they throw it to the same place (down the line to no one) every time. I actually do set them to short but watch the short option ignored frequently.

4) My injury situation is not all problematic. Up your strength and aerobic training. The best way to do this is to assign training schedules to a number of different positions, rather than just a general schedule. That way you don't have to cram training for all positions in to one schedule, and you can assign more to strength and aerobics.

My training injuries are fine. My training schedules are position-based, and I have a fitness schedule for the pre-season which works well. I am more concerned with the amount of in-game injuries I get, usually 1-2 month ones. It seems overly excessive.

5) Patch 9.0.2 is very good. There are niggles, but when you find a tactic that works and have players that have gelled you will be amazed at how fluent this game is.

I'm in my 13th season and have taken Canvey Island from the BSS to the playoffs of the Championship. I don't complain because I don't have success, I complain because I consistently see glaring errors in the game. I actually said that 9.0.1 had the potential to be magnificent with a couple of issues addressed, which is why I am so disappointed with 9.0.2. You like it, I don't, which is fine.

Sounds to me like you have been seriously negative and not given things a chance to work. No manager can be expected to achieve immediate results with a new team, or at least it is rare.

I'm into my 6th season on 9.0.2 with the same team I played seven seasons with on 9.0.1.

I am glad your game works for you, but don't assume things just because I see things differently.

Archived