Have I found 2 new hidden bonus games within FM2009?

Apparantly.....

Game 1: Guess where the widget will be?

In TV view you can position your widgets exactly where you want them but when you make substitutions & return to that view this new fun game is unlocked.

Game 2: Guess whether your team will wear their Home kit or their Away kit when playing at "Home".

I believe this can be accessed in a number of ways but here is a cheat to give you instant access. Start as Bristol Rovers. Holiday for 1 full season then the Gas will have to play Home games at Whaddon Road as the Memorial Stadium is being rebuilt. Hopefully now whenever you are at Home to a team with similar colours (White & Blue) this new mini-game should be unlocked.

By the way you need to be patched 9.02 with a new post-patching initialised game to get the full benefit of these "extras"

PS: I dont hate this game, I love it!, but the above reeks of lazy programming to me, and before you ask I havent logged them as bugs because:

a/ many others have already done so

b/ the kit issue was the same for FM08 (in different circumstances -QPR ould play at home in red & black for no apparant reason) so if it cant be sorted in 14 months I have to lose hope it will be this year too.

PS The widgets seem to end up on a widescreen monitor where they would be in 4:3 standard mode. "Fully compatible with widescreen monitors" Miles said! If I bought a new widescreen TV and it was that was it's level of "compatibllity" I would take it back from whence it came!

Yeh - these are minor issues which really annoy some people ( and I can see why) but it doesnt really for me

You are joking?

Having to re-adjust widgets after each tactical change - its a mega pain.

And there are whole communities of people designing slightly tweaked kit graphics so players can marginally change their overall game appearance, yet the programme selects a completely inacurate kit in certain relatively regular circumstances.

And dont get me stared on the unreadable text of Man City, who due to the real club's extremely unusual current circumstances have become a team a vast percentage of FM gamers will want to manage. Yes we can edit the game but I feel that we the consumers have already had to do enough retrofit work to make this game playable.

On a positive note I feel this game is near to being the best FM / CM yet but 2 patches down the line I find these issues unacceptable.

Is anyone else suffering this problem with the widgets? I don't think mine have ever moved, they are always exactly where I have positioned them.

Yes, simply because I ALWAYS drag it to the top left or right corner. I see no reason why they shouldn't just start there, who would want their widget placed in the center or anywhere away from the edges?!

You are joking?

And there are whole communities of people designing slightly tweaked kit graphics so players can marginally change their overall game appearance, yet the programme selects a completely inacurate kit in certain relatively regular circumstances.

And dont get me stared on the unreadable text of Man City, who due to the real club's extremely unusual current circumstances have become a team a vast percentage of FM gamers will want to manage. Yes we can edit the game but I feel that we the consumers have already had to do enough retrofit work to make this game playable.

On a positive note I feel this game is near to being the best FM / CM yet but 2 patches down the line I find these issues unacceptable.[/quote

Sorry - I meant I dont have this problem as I use classic view 2D - but I imagine for anyone who uses TV view 3D and moves there widgets around then this is a problem that needs sorting.

You are joking?

On a positive note I feel this game is near to being the best FM / CM yet but 2 patches down the line I find these issues unacceptable.[/quote

Sorry - I meant I dont have this problem as I use classic view 2D - but I imagine for anyone who uses TV view 3D and moves there widgets around then this is a problem that needs sorting.

I see, yes I can understand that. Its so frustrating as the TV view is so good otherwise (despite the fact that it is no "FIFA09" but then it doesnt have to be to be a good match representation.

Is anyone else suffering this problem with the widgets? I don't think mine have ever moved, they are always exactly where I have positioned them.

I have and I bugged it at release. It's not really as big an inconvenience as the OP makes out, but it does happen regularly towards the end of matches. For some reason I never see it at the start of games.

Like I said, it's a nuisance but not something I'm going to get seriously upset over.

---

As for the Man City colours, well I doubt that is something that a lot can be done about. Man City play in those colours and it just happens that those colours clash.

I remember in an earlier FM/CM that the colours for Oldham Athletic used to blur horribly (a friend used to play them so we saw it a lot). It was just unfortunate. There are always going to be colours that clash, Man City are just a high profile example and, thus, get noticed.

Regarding Manchester City's text: After several thousand years of designing Football Manager logos, I find it baffling that by far the easiest solution to white-on-white text hasn't been implemented: Put borders on the letters of the text.

Black borders, of course - and white borders on dark-on-dark.

Anyone wanna tell me what the widgets are, please?

In the 3D match screen they are the 'modules' you can place about the screen that contain details about the match in progress, i.e. player ratings and condition or goal flashes.

The widgets move because, occaisonally they will be created in the classic view window before going into or coming out of the tactics screen. Because of this off-timed creation, they get bound to the edges of the classic-view window, and there they stick when TV mode comes back. This seems so obvious to me that I can't believe it won't be fixed with 9.3...

The widgets move because, occaisonally they will be created in the classic view window before going into or coming out of the tactics screen. Because of this off-timed creation, they get bound to the edges of the classic-view window, and there they stick when TV mode comes back. This seems so obvious to me that I can't believe it won't be fixed with 9.3...

Ah, that could be why I don't experience the problem then. I always access the tactics screen from the link by my team name in TV mode.

Ah, that could be why I don't experience the problem then. I always access the tactics screen from the link by my team name in TV mode.

I do that too and it is a problem. Must be to do with the widescreen recognition thing surely? As for colour clashes, Palace / Barca were unplayable for me right up until about 06' when the issue was "smoothed" somehow. The idea of lining letters to pick them out is great but surely there is a simple routine that could be programmed which could compare very quickly the 2 colours on the graphic bar and if the 2 were too similar (colours have recognisable properties) then a light colour would become black or a dark colour would become white so the default text colour on the correct background would be more viewable (and this could be toggled on or off too maybe?). i.e. City: the computer says, aha! white on sky blue is no good, white becomes black. Would rather watch City as Black on sky blue rather than white in that case. Actually Im sure it was dark grey on sky blue last year, or did I edit that myself? Cant recall.

Am amazed no one has responded RE the incorrect selection of Home kits as Away kits by the game engine. Actually sometimes when watching IRL Ch League / UEFA cup games there seems no logic to who or why home kits are worn but for League matches in England surely the rules are firm?.

I'm also in widescreen. Are you using full screen or windowed?

Full screen, dont like it windowed. Maybe its specific to a computer system? (excuse my ignorance of these things). I want to add that I do love this game but these issues really annoy me. Anyone else had the random Away kit selection for Home games thing? Am starting to feel paranoid and that it only affects me ! LOL.

Have to admit the widgets re-positioning themselves after i spend ages lining them up is really annoying. I have a widescreen monitor and they always re-position themselves in the same place (Exactly where i don't want them!). Can't say i have noticed the random kit selection though.

Full screen, dont like it windowed. Maybe its specific to a computer system? (excuse my ignorance of these things). I want to add that I do love this game but these issues really annoy me. Anyone else had the random Away kit selection for Home games thing? Am starting to feel paranoid and that it only affects me ! LOL.

Maybe it is the full screen mode, that seems to be the only difference as I play in windowed mode.

If they really annoy some people are they still minor issues? If the Pope poops in the woods, would any one hear him?

Yes, but some people are so seriously picky, that even the smallest thing becomes the biggest thing.

I'm not saying that small issues should never be fixed but there could be far worse things that would take precedent over a minor graphical issue.

I don't know what the pope pooping in the woods has to do with things. I think you have the wrong analogy too. :eek:

From Dictionary.com:

Main Entry: widget

Part of Speech: n

Definition: 1. an element of a graphical user interface such as a button or scroll bar; also, a module of software for a personalized Web page. 2. In Football Manager, a window appearing in TV mode which allows the user access to various pieces of data, such as player ratings, match stats, AssMan feedback, etc.

Example: The widget isn't always where I left it.

Etymology: 1987,2008

You know whats hillarious? I've read this whole thread... and I'm still no closer to working out what the hell a widget is!!!!

Anyone mind explaining this issue?

There was an Oxford English Dictionary update for the word "widget" (updated 14/11/08) which reads...

"Graphical item under almost total control of user, prone to moving in unexplained ways when the substitiution button is hit in TV Mode"

Archived