How accurate are my Scouts and Coaches?

I didn't have much time to play FM08, so a lot of the coach reports at the start of the game are new to me. I generally start in the lower leagues where my staff have pretty poor attributes and was wondering how accurate what they tell me about my players is?

In the past I've spent quite a lot of time with a new team studying the players abilities and attributes before playing the first match to ensure I get a good start to a new job and I'm interested in how much of a risk I would be taking just to trust the summaries my coaches provide.

genie scout is a program where you can scout players and it shows PA and CA aswell as what there stats will look like at there peak you CANNOT edit anything so basiclly who needs scouts you are a scout ;)

Thanks for quick reply guys

I wont 'cheat' then and will continue playing by scouting :thup:

OK so say my staff members have a JA JP of 7. What does that actually mean will happen?

Will they regularly tell me good players are useless and vice versa. Will they generally be accurate about the players basic abilities, but maybe not be able to give more detailed information?

The way I think of it is that since attributes are 1 to 20, each 1 attribute point = 5%, therefore JA/JP of 7 = report will be around 35% accurate with a 65% chance of being wrong.

Ok - So what that means is that a scout with a JA of 1 is 95% likely to tell me a player he's just watched outsrip 3 players is slow? I can see where you're coming from, but it just doesn't seem very likely to me - e.g. my ability at Maths might be rated at 15/20 - it doesn't mean I'm going to tell you 2+2 = 5 25% of the time?

i think they also factor in the chance of their PA being reached compared to their CA. quite often i'll find wonderkids that would be "decent" signings, but in a few seasons where they've played loads of first team football, they can become "good" or "quality"

Ok - So what that means is that a scout with a JA of 1 is 95% likely to tell me a player he's just watched outsrip 3 players is slow? I can see where you're coming from, but it just doesn't seem very likely to me - e.g. my ability at Maths might be rated at 15/20 - it doesn't mean I'm going to tell you 2+2 = 5 25% of the time?

that's a bad example, i'd say a maths ability of 15/20 means you have a 75% chance of getting any given question right. so in the scouts case, a JA of 15 is going to accurately predict a player's ability 75% of the time. that's how i interpret it anyway

that's a bad example, i'd say a maths ability of 15/20 means you have a 75% chance of getting any given question right. so in the scouts case, a JA of 15 is going to accurately predict a player's ability 75% of the time. that's how i interpret it anyway

I don't understand. How would you rate your maths ability out of 20? Presumably not 19 or 20 out of 20?

In which case according to your example you should expect to get at least one of these wrong.

1+1

1+2

1+3

1+4

1+5

3+1

2+2

3+5

7+2

3+4

but unless your less than 3 years old these really shouldn't be any problem for you.

You can't really relate assessing a players ability to incredibly basic math though.

A really good scout will have an amazing eye for potential, and can tell that despite only being 16 and very underdeveloped, in the future his talent will be comparable to Lionel Messi. Or he may see a player who's performing well on the surface, but might notice he has determination issues and therefore might not become the gem he has the potential to be. And being such a good scout, he is very reliable at this.

However, a **** scout will see the game, notice that he's a very good player and better than other people on the field based on his performance, but he won't be nearly as accurate at guessing whether he's the kind of player who will keep developing well, or he might not pick up on smaller details like determination or whatever, so therefore a lot of his 5 star players might never amount amount to much. Or he might not be able to spot the fact the left back has amazing potential because he's having a bit of a quiet game, so he reports that he isn't that amazing, when in actual fact he is.

So the **** scout would for example pick whoever plays well when he sees them, and 35% of time, that player will turn out to be great, but the other 65% it just turns out he was just having a good match or whatever. Whereas a great scout will be able to accurately predict the exact kind of player he is, and know how good he will be in the future compared to other players, so the players he picks are 95% likely to be as good as he says.

I'm not in any way saying this is how it works in the game or real life, but it should give you an example of how the percentage thing works.

I no longer listen to scouts and coaches. I am Barcelona and I bought a player with good attributes called Xabi Prieto. The coach report said I should offload as soon as possible. Since then he has had the highest ratings of all my players for the past two years. I play him in all my big matches because he never fails to perform. My coach now says he's decent.

Archived