Let's give SI some credit...

I'm yet to see a topic with positive comments about FM, even though every single one here obviously loves the game enough to complain about it on a forum. So let's focus on the good aspects of the game as well: what are the things you would not want to see changed? Why? And what do you think about the new features FM09 brought us?

Personally, I love the 3D engine. Call me immature, I love the fact players are now actual players instead of dots on the field. It also makes me want to watch the highlights instead of skipping them as fast as I can. Most of the things players do on the pitch really seem realistic (though they still do awkward **** sometimes) and represent their qualities.

I'm also, like everyone who plays FM, no doubt, a big fan of the immense research they do on thousands of players I haven't even heard of before. It's great fun to be able to boast with your new-found knowledge about football (players, teams and everything else). The realistic (though repetitive) interaction with the press, players and fellow managers is great, it adds a lively dimension to the game.

And, last but not least, the numerous tactical approaches you can adopt to achieve victory. I love FM, despite all of its little flaws.

I hated the 3D at first because I thought it had changed the match engine. However, the problem was I was managing Chelsea and they don't suit my managing style. Once I started a game with Barcelona it felt just like the good old times. It is like an improved version of 08 now for me, with the only problem being the number of injuries. Fortunately, I've fixed the injury problem with an editor.

If everyone that liked the game made a new thread, it would vastly outnumber the amount of people that are complaining.

SI deserve a load of credit for making a great game(best of FM for sure). 8/10 from me.

I like the 3D engine also, despite it being lower then I expected it to be. But I still like it and cant wait till SI improve it, it has a lot of potential.

My only complaint is the bugs that are found, many should of been spotted before release.

Congratulations to SI for producing another game I liked enough to buy, despite the bugs in the demo.

Alot of bugs have been fixed, including the poor regens problem mentioned above, but there are still some persistant ones, and some new ones aswell, most notably at the moment, the so-called "Bojan bug".

It is a challenge in itself to make a game as complex and compelling as FM, and I for one will always admire how you have gone about your business, including being honest with the community about what happened on and after release day regarding activation. :)

Great thread. Kudos to SI as FM 09 is fantastic and I absolutely love the 3D engine. If you were to compare FM to FIFA Manager which I always buy as well, there is no contest. In FIFA Manager I pitted Sheffield Weds vs Celtic and had it play out in a 3D match. The game ended 13-0 for a Sheffield win. When you play FIFA Man in text Mode it's much better but I find FM to offer a more realistic football experience whether in 3D or Text Mode.

It's nice to see a thread which praises the work behind the greatest game of all time - Football Manager.

There is really only one thing that I'd ask the developers not to change; The level of realism this game offers.

That is what has kept me playing this game, year after year. No other management simulation will come close to the realism or the depth which this game offers. It is truly a great game.

Reason there are moaners is, of course, the extremely high expectations that come with this game. Constructive criticism when offered is a very good thing for this game, and the development team's willingness to listen to Average Joe's suggestions is what has made this game what it is today... SI are truly unique when it comes to keeping in touch with their customers - another thing no other gaming company can compare with.

Gotta love the game - gotta love FM!

Archived