Contracts exploit

I've discovered on FM08 that you can get players to accept lower wages if their contract is due to run out and they are over 30. Suppose a player has less than a year left on his contract, you can repeatedly offer him a new contract for the same period but on reduced wages. Using this method I've managed to lower certain players contracts from £50k p/w down to around half that by getting them to sign 10 different contracts. At first I thought it only worked on players who had the club as a favourite club, but it seems to work on any player provided they are getting past it and are not unhappy or transfer listed. Whilst it is a bit of a cheat I reckon it's only fair given that you can hand a player a big money contract and then a year later he will be useless as players deteriorate so quickly/ Anyone else found this?

I've discovered on FM08 that you can get players to accept lower wages if their contract is due to run out and they are over 30. Suppose a player has less than a year left on his contract, you can repeatedly offer him a new contract for the same period but on reduced wages. Using this method I've managed to lower certain players contracts from £50k p/w down to around half that by getting them to sign 10 different contracts. At first I thought it only worked on players who had the club as a favourite club, but it seems to work on any player provided they are getting past it and are not unhappy or transfer listed. Whilst it is a bit of a cheat I reckon it's only fair given that you can hand a player a big money contract and then a year later he will be useless as players deteriorate so quickly/ Anyone else found this?

I don't think its cheating, over 30's always take a pay reduction. For example I have just slashed Van Der Sar's wages from 75k to 40k, G Nevilles from 80k to 35k and Giggs from 80k to 15k.

Players decline so they are more willing to accept a lower wage, its what happens in real life and FM world

^ That's the million pound question. 25k p/w saved x 52w = 1.3m. So the signing fee would have to be under that. And usually it isn't. You also have to take into account increases in appearance fees, which usually go up as a player understands they are less likely to appear.

VB

Players decline so they are more willing to accept a lower wage, its what happens in real life and FM world

Is that so? Why are many older players going to Qatar and surrounding countries, for the climate?

I think when a player reaches 33/32/31 he wants to get one more big contract to cash in.

You still see many 30+ players which are very important for their clubs, although they don't play every game.

Maybe a different story when a player is 35+.

^ That's the million pound question. 25k p/w saved x 52w = 1.3m. So the signing fee would have to be under that. And usually it isn't.

To be honest they almost always accept £0.

In fact, I've never had anyone reject me because of the signing on fee.

I don't think its cheating, over 30's always take a pay reduction. For example I have just slashed Van Der Sar's wages from 75k to 40k, G Nevilles from 80k to 35k and Giggs from 80k to 15k.

But no player would accept a pay cut for a new contract which has the same duration as the current one.

But no player would accept a pay cut for a new contract which has the same duration as the current one.

Yes, the other posters seem to have missed the point, older players might accept a wage cut for a longer contract but not many would for no reason. I also never pay any signing on fees for contracts except for when I'm in competition with another club.

it's quite well known that signing on fees don't matter, I'm yet to pay one in FM09, and a player has never mentioned it if he rejects a contract

Its true, which is too bad really as otherwise VonBlade's point is well made. There should be a penalty for continuously resigning someone to lower wages. 1. Administrative costs, 2. Sign-on Fees, 3. Appearance Fees, 4. Morale.

As it is, you only pay #3, if that.

Its true, which is too bad really as otherwise VonBlade's point is well made. There should be a penalty for continuously resigning someone to lower wages. 1. Administrative costs, 2. Sign-on Fees, 3. Appearance Fees, 4. Morale.

i agree, now i've heard of this trick i've lowered Stevie G's contract from 43k to 17k, and a drop of about 5k on both bonuses. i didn't even have to extend the contract length, so this example really highlights how flawed this section is.

I do this all the time. 33-year-old Alessio Cerci, however, despite being my 5th choice winger, doesn't want to get paid less than 85,000 pounds...

A somewhat tongue-in-cheek suggestion, but you could:

1. Sell your #2 winger.

2. Buy a high reputation #2 winger.

3. Watch Cerci's demands evaporate.

A somewhat tongue-in-cheek suggestion, but you could:

1. Sell your #2 winger.

2. Buy a high reputation #2 winger.

3. Watch Cerci's demands evaporate.

I believe I have 4 of the 5 best wingers in the world. The last one will set me back around 20 million pounds if I sell one of the wingers (would rather pay Cerci's demands!). Wouldn't be worth it.

He won't accept a squad role beyond first-teamer, either, which is annoying...

Or make it so that the player in question would simply refuse to sign too many contracts in a certain amount of time, unless you're increasing the offer.

I believe I have 4 of the 5 best wingers in the world. The last one will set me back around 20 million pounds if I sell one of the wingers (would rather pay Cerci's demands!). Wouldn't be worth it.

He won't accept a squad role beyond first-teamer, either, which is annoying...

Do you think you'd be able to sell him? It sounds like you're better off either letting his contract expire and getting a young winger in his place, or keep persisting on him lowering his wage demands.

Do you think you'd be able to sell him? It sounds like you're better off either letting his contract expire and getting a young winger in his place, or keep persisting on him lowering his wage demands.

Don't want to sell him, as he always performs even if he's rather rubbish right now.

Has this been posted in the bugs forum?

This has been the case with the game for as long as I can remember. It has always been easy enough to slash the wage bill by offering players multiple small wage cuts. Loyal servants to the club like Giggs, Gerrard etc always seem willing to take unrealistic pay cuts.

I see the point in doing this, but I wouldn't want to.

It's time-consuming to constantly ask 25 players to take a crappier contract, over and over.

The only way I would do this is if I was WAY over my Wage Budget(as in 200k+).

I suppose it's good for making more transfer money available...

Archived