Player and media interaction/s

Short and sweet: As the player, it is very difficult to anticipate what effect your interaction is going to have.

Since it is almost always negative or 'seemingly' pointless, you tend not to bother.

Case in point:

My winger is playing well, I say I am happy with his form, he is now 'let down' and unhappy. Huh? What?

Next match he will play like crap.

If I had done nothing he'd still have Superb morale and likely would have continued on his run of great form.

So I have, in trying to make a logical assumption, in fact, been punished by the game.

There are plenty of examples of the same or similar occurring with media/press conferences and mind games. So much so that you reach a point where it makes no sense at all and you feel like you may as well just .. not bother. So you don't.

Press conferences especially seem totally futile, as you can only say the 'right' thing or the 'wrong' thing or nothing. Fun? No. Immersive? No. Logical? No. Unpredictable? No. So, uh, what exactly is the point then?

Also, could you possibly, seriously, look to employ someone who can write and structure legible English questions/answer combinations? Someone who can cope with complex stuff like tenses and paradox? A lot of the questions are counter intuitive, illogical and actually nonsensical.

If this was unique to FM 09, I probably wouldn't bother posting about it to be honest. Since it would be obvious to you that it required work. The trouble is guys, it hasn't been corrected or indeed sensible and useful as a management tool and a game aspect since it was implemented - literally - years ago.

Would it kill you to sort it out? Really? We keep getting these new 'features' that are intended to sell the next version of the game, but they don't work, don't work as intended, don't work logically or in a coherent fashion or, usually, they are just fluff that add nothing and can in fact become extremely boring and tedious.

Whilst I tend to agree, I do think I'd miss the press conferences if they were no longer a part of the game. Likewise I'd miss the feature of praising/moaning at players. I think, for me, it just tips the scales in terms of value for I like the idea of speaking to the media. I just do not like the way it is currently implemented.

It all comes across as extremely lightweight by which I mean little thought behind the features design. It has the potential to offer so much more and in trying to achieve that little extra it opens up a whole lot of extra work. I would, personally, see it as time worth spending for the press conferences feature (in particular) has the potential to be excellent. At present it does feel as though its primarily another box ticked in terms of feature support. As for the player praising/moaning I tend to only use it when having a go at one of my players. More often than not if I praise him I'll read how stupid he thinks my praise was :D

Someone needs to sit down and spend time thinking about these features.

good post - a lot of hollow features thrown together too quickly to add new aspects to the game with no time taken to actually think them through and maximise their potential. Thankfully the two features you mention player interaction and press conferences can be turned off or ignored.

The way i always look at new features is if i worked for si and i played the game would i be proud of that particular aspect if i had worked on it - for both of these (particularly press conferences) its a resounding no. I mean did someone honestly think that, given their repetitive nature, they would not get tedious and be an annoyance within 5 minutes to anyone over the age of 12 ? I prefer the areas of the game with real substance, not cheap Aesthetics such as press conferences and 3d engine.

'' if somethings worth doing its worth doing right ''

I just noticed I posted a near identical thread about this last month ..

Note to self: stop being a troll. Wonder if I have early onset Alzheimer's or something.

Nah mate, you're just getting old :p

I wouldn't worry too much about it, I find myself responding to threads and then reading the rest of it, only to find I have already posted the exact same thing a few hours earlier :D

Re player interaction for good / bad performances - I have got to disagree with you. I've been noting down who I talk to the press about, the level of their last 5 performances, and their morale when I make the comment, and if you are sensible, then you can, with (in my case) approx 85-90% success, increase (or at least maintain) their morale, and get them having a positive comment in their personal section of their profile.

My basic plans are: (last 5 game average rating)

7.20-7.40 - tell them their performance is acceptable

7.40-7.60 - performance is good

7.60 and higher - played great.

6.50-6.70 - disappointed

6.30-6.50 - poor

less than 6.30 - awful

Tends to work well, the only area where I get the occasional poor result is the 7.20-7.40 section - depending on the player, they sometimes don't think I'm giving them enough credit.

EDIT: Also just to say that I only comment on the same player every 5-6 games, not more frequently than that - even if the supporters say they love / hate him constantly lol

Regarding the first point there's a big Logical vs Random debate in terms of what people want from the game, I have posted about it several times, some people just really don't want something they can figure out - they lose interest quickly in something that requires figuring out then just doing each time. Other people want more random events to make the game feel more realistic and more of a challenge.

Re player interaction for good / bad performances - I have got to disagree with you. I've been noting down who I talk to the press about, the level of their last 5 performances, and their morale when I make the comment, and if you are sensible, then you can, with (in my case) approx 85-90% success, increase (or at least maintain) their morale, and get them having a positive comment in their personal section of their profile.

My basic plans are: (last 5 game average rating)

7.20-7.40 - tell them their performance is acceptable

7.40-7.60 - performance is good

7.60 and higher - played great.

6.50-6.70 - disappointed

6.30-6.50 - poor

less than 6.30 - awful

Tends to work well, the only area where I get the occasional poor result is the 7.20-7.40 section - depending on the player, they sometimes don't think I'm giving them enough credit.

EDIT: Also just to say that I only comment on the same player every 5-6 games, not more frequently than that - even if the supporters say they love / hate him constantly lol

what are you saying makes sense I apply a similar method to yours but what happens when you have to rotate the players? how do you keep track of the praising/criticising what if you forget to praise a performer or to slay a underperformer?

I praise and criticise the players every match to keep track of their performances but I don't have a big succes with it

for example Bogdan Stancu or other strikers of mine play under 6 let's say 5,7 or 5,9 I criticise him and he gives me slightly harsh how do I counter that

what are you saying makes sense I apply a similar method to yours but what happens when you have to rotate the players? how do you keep track of the praising/criticising what if you forget to praise a performer or to slay a underperformer?

I praise and criticise the players every match to keep track of their performances but I don't have a big succes with it

for example Bogdan Stancu or other strikers of mine play under 6 let's say 5,7 or 5,9 I criticise him and he gives me slightly harsh how do I counter that

I don't praise / criticise them based on one match - I do it based on their last 5 match ratings (but only ratings for 1st team games). I just click onto their profile, and then onto form - and can then see what they have had as ratings - and when - no point praising a player if 4 of his last 5 appearances were 3 months ago and he has just come back from a 2 month injury before the last game!

And not praising / criticising doesn't do any harm as far as I can see - using the feature more sparingly can certainly help keep morale up though.

Archived