FM2009 – the best version in years - Everyone agree ?

I personally feel this version is the best one in years.

I wanted to post a note on the message board and congratulate SIGAMES and SEGA for a great version of my beloved football manager series.

I have like most people on these message boards grown up playing Championship manager and then onto Football manager, and each year I have brought the latest version on the day of release, and then waited patiently for the patch to come out to fix all the bugs.

This year I figured I would just wait a while and buy it after a couple of months. I am so glad I did !

Playing FM 2009 for the first time with a fully patched game has really been a pleasant experience.

I love the new 3D match engine. I personally think this is the biggest enhancement to the game in years. I get a real kick out of watching the highlights.

Great job guys, I for one love this new version.

I have been quick to complain in the past, so I think its only right that I give the guys some credit when they produce a great game.

Only just got it myself but enjoying it alot, i hated FM08 I thought it was awful compared to 07 but this just feel better and I love the 3d engine. Not sure about injuries though there seems to be a lot but I have only been playing today

im loving fm 2009, loads of neat features that im only just noticing having finally found some time to get stuck into it- the assistants report during the match is quality, telling me who is looking complacent etc and the 3d match engine is great, despite the occasional stupid mistake. All in all im very impressed and think there is plenty here they can improve on to give us an even better game next year (do something different with press conferences as they are a good idea, just not properly implemented yet imo, tweak the flaws in the 3d match engine etc)

Yeah Got to Agree with you, Great game. 3D top notch, ok could include a few things, and animations could be slightly better/enhanced but oh so so much more realism than dots. Think Fm has now set a great building block for the future.

Not as good as 07 in my opinion. The 3d match engine still has a long way to go in terms of aesthetics and and smooth running but this is something that will improve in each future version as a natural progression. Still some annoying bugs but still a great game and has me addicted of course.

Personally im not a fan of the 3d but the only thing that stopped me playing 08 was the regens and lack of quality in them after 15 or so seasons. Thankfully 09 has corrected that and even brought a little bit more to the table so i cant complain.

Quality wise 09 is the best but as personal favourites go, 06 did it for me. Im surprised a lot of people liked 07, i thought it was ridiculously hard and gave up after a few months of going nowhere fast! :D

dont get me wrong i like the game since it has been patched up a lot more but for me the 3d engine is poor- its so glichy and unsmooth and just doesnt look right. Even for a first effort i cant believe that the people at SI can watch a game on it and say we are genuinely proud to have produced it, to me the ball and players ping about like on an old amiga 500 game - admittedly it looks much better though.

However, thats just my opinion on the match engine - obviously i can play without it ....not sure that the game overall is better than 07 yet ....maybe after the next patch

I agree, especially after 9.2.0, i felt 08 wasnt as good due to a number of things. But this feels more like 06 and 07 which i enjoyed.

The 3D engine works well, but its the little things for me like the team information screen having more information for example, and the fact i was still finding parts of the game i hadnt seen yet even after a week of playing.

I just hope if another patch comes out my tactics suddenly dont work.

Overall loving it.

3d engine is surprisingly good, exceeded my expectations, i thought it would be far more buggy.

Gameplay itself is decent, the biggest gripe is that they removed side arrows in tactics and IMO that removed quite alot of freedom, even though the instructions are good enough to determine how attacking/defensive the player should be, IMO they should have spent more time tweaking the effect of the arrows instead. I liked that system, you could create some really interesting tactics with players roaming all over the place.

Yeah, i escaped the clutch of FM for a while but this version has me up till the wee hours again.

I am sure the match engine will be refined over time, the GK's need a lot of work or at least a few more animations in the meantime, i hate when the make a "spectacular save" and its just the same catch the ball and miss animation but then again some of the saves are fantastic to watch.

Any chance of a wee patch SI, its a shame its not something a user can muck about with and upgrade themselves.

I think FM09 has some excellent touches and additions, unfortuanely I have gone back to FM08 as both the 3d and 2d are too jerky and make playing the game a bit of a headache! Never mind I might get a better laptop later this year and pick up FM09 after the next patch !

09 is definately the best of the more recent releases, I've already completed 11 seasons since launch & I don't look like getting bored any time soon.

Have a brand new HP Touch Smart, load the game and insert key fine.

Click to run the game and get Football manger has encountered a problem and then shuts down.

I have update Direct X and graphics card as advised.

I now wish in 2004 instead of going down the FM route I went the CM way.

I feel since Sega got hold of this product it has just become one big Issue, as long as the core base is there they dont care what they sell.

Think I will go back to FM2007 or even try and find my old copy of CM4...

FM09 is great. I too, grew up playing CM series, then moved onto FM ( Although i am only 16 ). I love the game, i wasn't too keen on 08, but loved 07.

Besides that, it was loaded to my PC but it wouldn't run, but the patch fixed this, which i am very thankful for. Usually when that happens to me, the game doesn't ever work, period.

So, good job SI :)

Very much agree.

A lot of people on 14th November were moaning about the issues and tech problems which is fair play. I was in a way lucky as my old laptop managed to get it running straight away even past the activation problems. The only thing that spoiled it for me which was soon sorted was the fact that my old laptop wasn’t good enough I had planned for a new one but FM09 made/forced me to get another. Now having used the game on Vista I can say it is a lot more reliable than XP for FM09.

The gameplay is brilliant yes there were the ill fated bugs which were swiftly patched up by SI (you don’t usually get two swift patches from SI in a month). The 3d engine is brilliant for a first time effort and brings added realism for the first time to FM, You actually can judge a player properly now. What other game makes you scream into the scream when a clear offside goal is stood by the ref.

Football Manager YOU JUST CANT WRITE IT!!!! Here hopes FM10 continues in the same vein of form.

Id like to say the biggest thanks though to the guys on the forum who took so much crap on here from people having problems. Yes its their job but some of the abuse was just awful.

Gotta say, Im in love with FM09!

Huge improvements in some key aspects of the game compared to previous versions. Regens has been mentioned and since this part of the game is specialy dear to me Id like to heave some more cred to SI. Well done!! Its so rewarding to see a player you raised, tutored, trained and nourished represent his country!

As for bugs? Well its nothing compared to previous versions. Sure, there's some issues. Name one game thats complete? Even better, name one game that constantly evolves but contains no bugs! The FM series has gone through a remarkable transformation imo. I cant wait for FM10.

Archived