Whats your Personal Salary ever used for

As long as it doesn't come out of my wage budget when I'm at a small club but getting paid relatively well. But when I'm getting paid £165,000 per year at Inter, it doesn't really matter to the finances of the club. It just looks great! lol :D

It would be nice if SI could make a use of it but nothing obvoius comes to my mind.

Well, one thing which I always wanted in FM was a totally new feature; called being chairman. So you buy a club, hire a manager, handle transfers together with the manager and maybe try to influence manager games style and player choices (do it too often and manager is ****ed) but eventually you do not make the match squads, tactics, trainings, etc...

So maybe a career would flow as; you play as manager for 20+ years, make savings from your salaries and after that (if you wish) you retire as a manager ad buy a smaller club and play as a chariman

thats exactly what I wanna do, I've taken Farsley from the BSN to top of Coca Cola 2 in less than 6 seasons, and I wanna "buy" the club so that some investor doesn't buy the club and fire me for a more experienced manager

Before this thread turns into the usual "you shud b able 2 by cars and hoes etc"... but to satisfy my need for some sort of progression...

How about when your on tiny wages, on your personal screen there's a pic of your office, ie cramped and dingy, and the more pay you get the nicer the office looks. Ie inter on 165K/week = brilliant office, hot secretary, sea view out the window.

It's only used as a general indication of your job safety, and the likelihood of other clubs coming after you. The higher your salary, the more reluctant other clubs to come after you because they will have to pay larger compensation to get you out of your contract, and also the less likely your chairman will sack you because he will have to pay you compensation too.

Ruins you at small clubs. I'm being paid about 25% of my club's wage budget and we're totally knackered in Northern Ireland. But, mustn't grumble as my chairman seems unphased by this and has put no pressure on me.

I think it should work as perhaps an influence to lure players to the club. I know this doesn't make sense in real life but in the game, it would encourage managers to want to earn more money, if it meant attracting better players to the club. Perhaps it could work like a secondary reputation attraction?

Whaddayathink?

It's only used as a general indication of your job safety, and the likelihood of other clubs coming after you. The higher your salary, the more reluctant other clubs to come after you because they will have to pay larger compensation to get you out of your contract, and also the less likely your chairman will sack you because he will have to pay you compensation too.

This is the only reason I see it in the game. If you can negotiate a £200k 5 year contract chances are your safe for a few seasons even without success.

And to the earlier suggestions, well, this isn't Football Chairman 2009.

And this is a game and not reality. Adding customization to the game would bring back many of the customers SI has lost. SI have such a narrow view of FM. If the game is to progress, it will likely have to allow a lot more latitude in how the customer can play the game; from todays vanilla version to a tycoon version where the human player handles all financial and footie operations.

But the game is called Football Manager 2009, you are buying a game where you can be the manager of a club not the chairman.

The game already allows you to do more than the manager does in real life anyway with player contracts and negotiating transfers. I reckon if you could become chairman of a club I would stop buying it, it would be pretty pointless and take time away from SI in developing the management side of the game.

i never thought about tht, but in the nxt fm we really should be able to buy shares in a club say if you been there a few seasons and doing great and then after say 6 or 7 seasons if you have enough you should be able to try do take over.. dunno, jus a rough idea, but you would have to stay at same club during the time building up to getting shares and takeover obv

So then what happens. You buy shares in your club, then eventually you become the chairman and manager.

SO where's your money for transfers going to come from, your wages?

Its just ridiculous, only way it would even be feasible would be to have a completely different game.

I hope they dont.
Its just ridiculous, only way it would even be feasible would be to have a completely different game.

You would still have the option to play the game the same way you do now. The last two iterations have been fairly dull with too many repetitive boring features. Sure team talks and press conferences are part of most managers lives. But to add them into a game like FM was a mistake because there are so few options for both and they quickly become boring.

Why not have a financial option where the human player would be given a figure from which he would have to pay wages for players and staff; make transfers; build training and youth improvements and expand the stadium. While this wont appeal to the young chav portion of the fanbase, it might be interesting for older or more mature players.

You would still have the option to play the game the same way you do now. The last two iterations have been fairly dull with too many repetitive boring features. Sure team talks and press conferences are part of most managers lives. But to add them into a game like FM was a mistake because there are so few options for both and they quickly become boring.

Why not have a financial option where the human player would be given a figure from which he would have to pay wages for players and staff; make transfers; build training and youth improvements and expand the stadium. While this wont appeal to the young chav portion of the fanbase, it might be interesting for older or more mature players.

But the extra features your suggesting are fairly limited and wouldnt really add more. You already have control of wages and transfers which managers dont normally and with that control you are given a figure to pick the staff, players and transfer with.

The only thing at the moment the board control is: the manager, the financial budgets and when facility upgrades are available. This would mean your given a budget to then pass on another budget to the manager. I just dont think it would add much.

Before this thread turns into the usual "you shud b able 2 by cars and hoes etc"... but to satisfy my need for some sort of progression...

How about when your on tiny wages, on your personal screen there's a pic of your office, ie cramped and dingy, and the more pay you get the nicer the office looks. Ie inter on 165K/week = brilliant office, hot secretary, sea view out the window.

chuckling at the sea view out of the window from your office at Inter. :D

But the extra features your suggesting are fairly limited and wouldnt really add more. You already have control of wages and transfers which managers dont normally and with that control you are given a figure to pick the staff, players and transfer with.

The only thing at the moment the board control is: the manager, the financial budgets and when facility upgrades are available. This would mean your given a budget to then pass on another budget to the manager. I just dont think it would add much.

You would still be the manager but you would be given complete control over the budget. What if you want to play as a manager of a team that develops bunches of youth like Crewe? But you dont want to play as Crewe? Why not be able to choose the KIND of team you want to manage as well as the actual team itself? I dont see how adding more flexibility into the game is a bad thing. Companies that refuse to allow their customers flexibility in their gaming usually dont last too long.

You would still be the manager but you would be given complete control over the budget. What if you want to play as a manager of a team that develops bunches of youth like Crewe? But you dont want to play as Crewe? Why not be able to choose the KIND of team you want to manage as well as the actual team itself? I dont see how adding more flexibility into the game is a bad thing. Companies that refuse to allow their customers flexibility in their gaming usually dont last too long.

Well with this version you are given more control of your budget with the fact you can adjust the salary and transfer. If you want to develop youth players you can ask the board to improve the youth academy, as long as there is money available the board would do it and then youngsters come through.

I have no problems with the game being expanded and improved as long as it stays a Football Management game, I just think being a chairman is a bad idea.

Might be pretty interesting to take the money and found a new club, by the way. You start in the lowest league and have to find sponsors, invest in the stadium and in the training area, and of course you have to find a completely new sqad.

Still, I think that's just too much for a game, because you need a completely new feature (chairman) to be implemented, and the game is already running on a slow speed.

Conclusion: the salary is a levelling board which should indicate your worth to the clubs, not more.

£250k for Arsenal in FM 08. i had won the champ league for 3 years in a row with rangers (yes laugh), then 3 years in a row with inter then took the arsenal job. They had sold player and never really replaced them with expensive players so they had loads of cash left!

Erm... I'm not 100% sure of this, but you use it for placing adverts, I think.

In FM08, when I managed Albion Rovers(Division 3, Scotland), I was getting £220p/w I think, and so wasn't able to place adverts for scouts.

But whilst managing a bigger club, eg/ United, after a week, I could place adverts as I liked.

It may be something to with the club's funds, and that is more likely... But it's just something which I noticed...

I'm probably completely wrong, but it's possible, I guess.

when was the last time you heard of a manager becoming a chairman irl?

Niall Quinn :)

On another note, some of you are deluded if you want to buy cars and stuff and become chairman. It's Football Manager not Football Manager's Life or Football Chairman.

In belgium we have a chairman who interferes with the team constantly and goes above the managers wishes. he even made up the trainig schedule because he was too ****ed of about the performance

I bet he did that because he thought he was great on FM :D

In belgium we have a chairman who interferes with the team constantly and goes above the managers wishes. he even made up the trainig schedule because he was too ****ed of about the performance

Vladimir Romanov is the owner of Hearts, the Scottish football club. Until the beginning of this season, he done this.

He would be in a different continent, and he would be the one that decided who the starting 11 were.

It's stopped more now, because the current manager, Csaba Lazlo, said he would not tolerate the owner choosing the team...

Vladimir Romanov is the owner of Hearts, the Scottish football club. Until the beginning of this season, he done this.

He would be in a different continent, and he would be the one that decided who the starting 11 were.

It's stopped more now, because the current manager, Csaba Lazlo, said he would not tolerate the owner choosing the team...

so did george burley, look what happened to him

Archived