Dilema: Man U V Gateshead in the FA Cup. I'm Gateshead.

I've managed to steer Conference North Gateshead to the 3rd round of the FA Cup where we've drawn Manchester United at Old Trafford.

I've assembled a squad of talented but very old players who have put me top of the league by 2 points but Stafford have a game in hand so I'm in a right battle to try and get promoted, which is my priority. My players really struggle to play 2 games a week, and I need to focus on promotion if at all possible.

So.... When I travel to Old Trafford do I:

A) Play my best team and hope against all odds to get something from the match, but suffer for it when we play Gainsborough 4 days later.

B) Accept that we're going to get thrashed no matter who I put out so field the reserves / youth team and have my star players fit for the next league game.

I'm 99% likely to go for B) so I'm not really asking for advice as such, but what would everyone else do?

Well if it is only the 3rd round your season has some way to go,If it was me(I always enjoy being the underdog)I would field a team that was near my strongest,maybe 1 or 2 fringe players and use my subs either at half-time or just after,I dont think your season will depend on this game alone and you never know even say a 2-0 defeat could give your players that bit more of a moral boast with a full time talk of "good effort"

At the end off the day I really dont think a game in January will signal the end off your season either way so why not go for it,try to be a real lower league manager...can you imagine telling your boys they cant play against Man Utd?

I've managed to steer Conference North Gateshead to the 3rd round of the FA Cup where we've drawn Manchester United at Old Trafford.

I've assembled a squad of talented but very old players who have put me top of the league by 2 points but Stafford have a game in hand so I'm in a right battle to try and get promoted, which is my priority. My players really struggle to play 2 games a week, and I need to focus on promotion if at all possible.

So.... When I travel to Old Trafford do I:

A) Play my best team and hope against all odds to get something from the match, but suffer for it when we play Gainsborough 4 days later.

B) Accept that we're going to get thrashed no matter who I put out so field the reserves / youth team and have my star players fit for the next league game.

I'm 99% likely to go for B) so I'm not really asking for advice as such, but what would everyone else do?

I think you should try and limit the damage by playing a very defensive tactic, if you lose 2-0 that may be seen as somewhat of an accomplishment because I too feel you have no chance of beating Man Utd.

Well if it is only the 3rd round your season has some way to go,If it was me(I always enjoy being the underdog)I would field a team that was near my strongest,maybe 1 or 2 fringe players and use my subs either at half-time or just after,I dont think your season will depend on this game alone and you never know even say a 2-0 defeat could give your players that bit more of a moral boast with a full time talk of "good effort"

At the end off the day I really dont think a game in January will signal the end off your season either way so why not go for it,try to be a real lower league manager...can you imagine telling your boys they cant play against Man Utd?

Whilst I said I was 99% made up and wasn't really looking for advice, that post speaks a hell of a lot of sense and has made me wonder if it might be worth just sticking the strongest side out and seeing what happens.

Still, there's 3 games to go before the big day but I'll let you all know my decision and the final score.

I think it's a head V heart thing:

Head says play the reserves and concentrate on the league

Heart says play the first team and go for it

The problem is, should you ever go by your heart when it's a computer game? It's not like my players will actually feel let down by missing a once in a lifetime chance to play at Old Trafford.

First off, I relented and played the first teamers. Sentiment won out. However we lasted all of 23 seconds before Carrick crashed a volley in from 25 yards. :(

But we stopped it being a cricket score, and I wasn't too disheartened at 4-0. That said, it could have been a lot more and we never looked like scoring.

Never mind, maybe next year. ;)

On a positive note, our income from gate receipts for the month of December 08 was £23k. For this match alone I pulled in £907k! :D Should keep us solvent for a while!

gateshead1zf6.jpg

If it was the other way round, and you were United; you'd have likely been beat by a daft last minute goal, or a 35-yard screamer by their CB who has a long shots rating of 3 :D;)

Unlicky there, but congrats of the wad on cash now winging it's way to you :thup:

Thinking back, I wish I'd tried some mind-games against Fergie. :D

Strangely when I told the press that I didn't think we stood much chance, the response from the game was that the players would not react kindly to that. What was I supposed to say? That we'd thrash them?

Oh well...if you had of played your reserves you might have been forever thinking how you'd of done if you'd played the first team.

True. That was at least part of the reason why I played the first team. I just wanted to see what we could achieve.

Still I'm happy, loads of money in the bank and we've had a good cup run. Man U fielded a strong side and there was 55,000 there to see the match, hopefully including a fair few from Gateshead.

The question is now that I have over £1m in the bank, do I ask the board for more money for transfers? ;)

That's my aim this season in the cup. Trying to get the 3rd Rnd of the FA Cup with Boston Utd and drawing an away game with a big club. Just reached the 2nd Rnd of the League Cup though pulling off a shicker. Newly promoted League Two Boston Utd beating Championship side Doncaster 1-0. :) Hoping for either another League Two team or a Premiership team with a large stadium like Newcastle.

After getting past the second round, I knew the big boys were coming in. I said to myself before pressing the 'Draw all teams' button "Please let it either be an easy home draw or something silly like Man U away".

Was chuffed to bits with the draw, even though it meant I was definitely out. I was also definitely rich while a tie away to Darlington might have meant I was just as likely to get knocked out but with no money to bank as a result.

After getting past the second round, I knew the big boys were coming in. I said to myself before pressing the 'Draw all teams' button "Please let it either be an easy home draw or something silly like Man U away".

Was chuffed to bits with the draw, even though it meant I was definitely out. I was also definitely rich while a tie away to Darlington might have meant I was just as likely to get knocked out but with no money to bank as a result.

Got to the 1st Round last season but got knocked out by League One Bury. Other BSP teams managed to beat the higher teams though. :(

Seems like it all went smoothly. I presume in your team-talks you gave the 'no pressure' number, so that their morale was not affected for the crucial forthcoming league match.

Yes, I did.

Initially I clicked for the assistant to recommend a team talk and nearly went with it out of habit until I realised it said "I expect a victory"!

Archived