Poacher Striker?????

RVN is never a poacher.

A poacher you will never see going on a mazy run, beating any players or anything that involves too much hard work. What they do have is lightening-quick mental ability, and fabulous positional sense.

McCoist and Lineker are the best I can think of. Always in the right place at the right time, appearing from nowhere to stick the ball in the net from 3 yards.

Nicolas Anelka

No, you are thinking of a wan.... okay, I won't go there. :-p

But seriously, no. Anelka is a speedy striker. he can run with the ball, and suits counter attacking football. A poacher wants the ball at his feet for exactly half a second, just long enough to toe punt it into an empty net.

RVN is never a poacher.

A poacher you will never see going on a mazy run, beating any players or anything that involves too much hard work. What they do have is lightening-quick mental ability, and fabulous positional sense.

McCoist and Lineker are the best I can think of. Always in the right place at the right time, appearing from nowhere to stick the ball in the net from 3 yards.

Gert Muller and Paolo Rossi and offcourse Erik Wilaarts (latter 80's Utrecht Striker who stunned Holland)

Van Nistelrooy is a poacher, for all I care. He has other aspects to his game, but he's still a poacher, because that's what his goals are.

Leroy Lita is a goal poacher in every sense of the word.

Berbatov is definately not a poacher though, he's got a very good link up game, better than Van Nistelrooy's. He's also strong in the air.

The suggestion that Toni is a poacher baffles me.

Gary Lineker at his best!

This, IMO, is spot on. Whoever said Berbatov is mental! he is one of the best all round forwards in the world, might not run about alot but he is definitley more than just a ''poacher''

Defoe isn't a poacher, he makes runs, he creates goals by himself. He shots from ridiculous distances.

Out of all Van Nistelrooy's goals at United, less that 10% of them were outside the 6 yard box

And none at all outside the box.

I would argue Michael Owen fits into this category these days.

i was gonna suggest that.

I don't know how people can say RVN isn't a poacher, he didn't score outside the box in the prem for united (although i have a feeling he might've in his last game, but i'm not sure)

I would bet your pretty much spot on. There may be one or two where he tries to play the ball and it takes a freak deflection and goes in, but none on his own merit

I don't think there was any mate, I see some statistics a while ago. He did score that goal against Charlton when he ran from the halfway line, and he's also got a couple of beauts from outside the box for Madrid, I remeber watching and thinking why couldn't he do that for us!

No, you are thinking of a wan.... okay, I won't go there. :-p

But seriously, no. Anelka is a speedy striker. he can run with the ball, and suits counter attacking football. A poacher wants the ball at his feet for exactly half a second, just long enough to toe punt it into an empty net.

He has scored tap ins this season though

Just because a player scores all of their goals inside the box, doesn't make them a poacher, FFS.

Owen runs around, and tries to get involved a lot.

So does Van Nistelrooy.

There aren't many poachers around any more. Managers don't really want Poachers, because defensively, you're a man down already.

Boyd is the only good example I can think of.

He plays on the last shoulder at all times, and just looks to 'waddle' into a dangerous area.

Despite his obvious lack of teamwork, he's still the best striker in Scotland.

Kevin Phillips; plays awful all game but still manages to score.

As a Birmingham fan I have to say that I agree with that, he is less mobile than most pensioners but when he's in the box then he'll get ahead of nearly all defenders and score 9/10 times.

As a Birmingham fan I have to say that I agree with that, he is less mobile than most pensioners but when he's in the box then he'll get ahead of nearly all defenders and score 9/10 times.

As a fellow Birmingham fan I agree with this 100%. I just never want eck to take him off as I know that if he gets the chance, he will put it away.

Archived